HTC Mogul owners: How do you like it?

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I am currently using a 700wx.I am having trouble getting use to the Keyboard. I don't like sliding the Keyboard out all the time. there are more pros to the Mogul, but I don't like the keyboard. Mostly, I don't like the numbers part of the Keyboard. The Mogul is by far more stable than the Treo, but the Treo is much easier to use one-hard. I can type with one thumb if needed on the Treo.

I am still trying to decide.

xdalaw

Jul 12, 2006
Visit site
Just bought a used Mogul. I still have my 700Wx, but am using the Mogul as my everyday device for while.

While I miss the one-handed ease of the Treo, I LOVE the bigger screen and the huge internal storage memory.

I used to have a Wizard (8125), so the form factor isn't totally foreign to me.

raziel

Feb 2, 2005
www.blackhaloinc.com
I just got the Sprint Mogul over the weekend and I am loving it. I just came from a Treo 755P and the difference in fucntionality is like night and day. The Palm OS is great, very slick, lots of software and it runs quick but it certainly has shown its age over the years so it was definitely time for me to switch to Windows Mobile 6.

The Mogul needs a bunch of tweaks, hacks, and updates in order it to run how I want it to. Right out of the box, the device is very sluggish. Once I had everything how I wanted it (install HTC Home, edited the registry, etc), it became one of the best phones I have ever owned. The sliding keyboard is great and having real voice command and stereo bluetooth makes this device one up the Treo.

I do however miss how good the one hand usability of the Treo and how quick switching in between applications was, but it is definitely time to move on.

gottspd

Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
The Mogul needs a bunch of tweaks, hacks, and updates in order it to run how I want it to. Right out of the box, the device is very sluggish. Once I had everything how I wanted it (install HTC Home, edited the registry, etc), it became one of the best phones I have ever owned. The sliding keyboard is great and having real voice command and stereo bluetooth makes this device one up the Treo.

What reg. tweaks, hacks and updates did you do? I just got mine and have read loads and loads of posts, but I'm interested in what you've done. I just switched from a 755P as well. I LOVE the WiFi in this thing!!!!

raziel

Feb 2, 2005
www.blackhaloinc.com
What reg. tweaks, hacks and updates did you do? I just got mine and have read loads and loads of posts, but I'm interested in what you've done. I just switched from a 755P as well. I LOVE the WiFi in this thing!!!!

1. Speed Tweak on the registry (omg it helps a lot!)
2. Install MMS Capability
3. Install Threaded SMS Capability
4. Rom update to 2.17
5. Install HTC Home, HTC Home Cusomizer, HTC Dialer and HTC Task Manager

After all that, the phone works great! But HTC definitely needs to fix the bluetooth capabilities and the memory leak!

cherryhead25

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Hey all, brand new here. Just wanna say this is the best phone I've ever owned. I came from a ppc 6700 so this is the obvious upgrade. Much speedier going to apps and the screen rotation is much better than the 6700. Ive loaded a bunch of stuff that gives me "Touch" functionality. The folks at xdadevelopers will take care of you.

One thing about this device(or any WM phone for that matter) vs other smartphones Ive owned is the flexiblity of the OS. Out of the box it is a good phone. If you want it tweak it you can make it look like just about any phone out there. Sure the "out of the box" PIM and included programs are weak but there are so many options out there to make this phone better. Ive read some negative reviews of this phone but this device is not for a newb. It is one of the most powerful WM devices on the market and definetly the best on a CDMA network (In my humble opinion of course).

Anyways thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Cherryhead

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Hey all, brand new here. Just wanna say this is the best phone I've ever owned. I came from a ppc 6700 so this is the obvious upgrade. Much speedier going to apps and the screen rotation is much better than the 6700. Ive loaded a bunch of stuff that gives me "Touch" functionality. The folks at xdadevelopers will take care of you.

One thing about this device(or any WM phone for that matter) vs other smartphones Ive owned is the flexiblity of the OS. Out of the box it is a good phone. If you want it tweak it you can make it look like just about any phone out there. Sure the "out of the box" PIM and included programs are weak but there are so many options out there to make this phone better. Ive read some negative reviews of this phone but this device is not for a newb. It is one of the most powerful WM devices on the market and definetly the best on a CDMA network (In my humble opinion of course).

Anyways thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Cherryhead

I think you're exactly right about it being the best CDMA WinMo phone out there, though that will change when the Treo 800w comes out. ;)

And yeah, the out of box experience does stink.

What stuff from XDA did you throw on?

cherryhead25

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
I think you're exactly right about it being the best CDMA WinMo phone out there, though that will change when the Treo 800w comes out. ;)

And yeah, the out of box experience does stink.

What stuff from XDA did you throw on?

Sorry I dont know all the correct names for the programs.

- HTC's Homescreen plugin.
- HTC task manager 2.0
- HTC Large start menu
- Slither's SCLPC++ .051 cube. Pretty sweet but I use it more for the wow factor. It's still a bit buggy and consumes alot of memory (which Mog does not have). Slither is currently rounding the edges though. That guy is freakin awesome. Kudos to the folks at XDA. Funny but I emailed Dieter trying to get a PT gig writing for these guys. My mini-blog was how Ive basically turned my Mogul into a touch wannabe. When I actually owned a Touch due to a shipping mishap. LOL
- HTC keypad. Im using the old 1.0 from my 6700 due to the Touch keypad seems to mess up my actual sliding keyboard. Also I use a program called Diotek so I can enter Korean text. It acts kinda screwy with that too.
- HTC Audio Manager CREATE PLAYLISTS ON THE PHONE W/O 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE, YAY!!!!!
- HTC Camera Album. Landscape and Portrait. This is awesome.
- HTC Calc skin ( not a biggie but cool nonetheless)
- HTC Phone dialer of course.
- HTC Audio booster (kinda useless) I dont do alot of Mp3's yet. Im poor so I still have the 512micro sd the Mog cane with.
- And finally Ftouchflo to make it all work.

Just a side note to what you said about the Treo 800w. Isn't it funny how the paradigm shifted when the iPhone came out? Prior to that all the rave about a smart phone was "One handed operation" was it not? For a while there I thought WM was going to end their touchscreen platform. Really the release of the iPhone is a "blessing in disguise" due to the fact that WM developers and 3rd party developers are stepping it up. I will always be a touch screen guy. They are just way too much fun! (stepping off the soap box now)

Anyways, I think the thing I like most about Mog the most is the flexiblity. When I'm sick of it being "Touch-like" Ill just change it up.

Geez ask a guy a simple question and he writes a book.

Take Care.

Ok, I read your post and realized you are Dieter. Excuse my moronness (yes that's a word... now it is.)

Last edited:

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
- HTC's Homescreen plugin.
- HTC task manager 2.0
- HTC Large start menu
- Slither's SCLPC++ .051 cube. Pretty sweet but I use it more for the wow factor. It's still a bit buggy and consumes alot of memory (which Mog does not have). Slither is currently rounding the edges though. That guy is freakin awesome. Kudos to the folks at XDA. Funny but I emailed Dieter trying to get a PT gig writing for these guys. My mini-blog was how Ive basically turned my Mogul into a touch wannabe. When I actually owned a Touch due to a shipping mishap. LOL
- HTC keypad. Im using the old 1.0 from my 6700 due to the Touch keypad seems to mess up my actual sliding keyboard. Also I use a program called Diotek so I can enter Korean text. It acts kinda screwy with that too.
- HTC Audio Manager CREATE PLAYLISTS ON THE PHONE W/O 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE, YAY!!!!!
- HTC Camera Album. Landscape and Portrait. This is awesome.
- HTC Calc skin ( not a biggie but cool nonetheless)
- HTC Phone dialer of course.
- HTC Audio booster (kinda useless) I dont do alot of Mp3's yet. Im poor so I still have the 512micro sd the Mog cane with.
- And finally Ftouchflo to make it all work.

Color me impressed! :)

I wish that MS would just buy HTC's Audio Manager and make it standard.

Ok, I read your post and realized you are Dieter. Excuse my moronness (yes that's a word... now it is.)

You know, I should really just change my username to Dieter Bohn. I'm going to do that.

cherryhead25

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Rofl!

Color me impressed!

Dude, I'm not the one who gets to play with every new model that comes down the pike! LOL :)

I guess ignorance is bliss because if I had the chance to use as many devices as you guys do here I'd lose my job, home, car and just sit in my room (or if I lost my job, home, and car I guess I'd just sit in an alley or something) all day tweaking my phone!!!!!

Great site here, keep up the good work!

cid420420

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
i love this phone i came from a xv6600 to a samsung i730 to the xv6800 and all i have to say is hands down this phone is great although i do miss my 520 mhz processor in my i730 other than that this phone is great especially in the customization of it through custom roms

stickygreen95

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
I've come from a Treo 650 and while I loved that whole experience, this phone puts it to shame in terms of style and tech. That is once you install the necessary software and hacks. The average person probably finds that to be a big problem, but i'm a bit of a tech junkie so it couldn't be better for me. I love the fact that i'm able to customize it and tweak it. It adds a certain satisfaction to the ownership experience. Plus, there's the whole showing off factor. This is the main reason that Palm is in big trouble with PalmOS. They've already gotten killed on hardware. If PalmOS II isn't the shiznit, I fear for its future. Android and WinMo definitely put them in a precarious position. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the XV and I haven't even tried custom ROMs yet.

TreoNewt

Jun 3, 2006
Visit site
I believe Plam OS was once a great OS; Palm hardware really sucks.

Palm as an OS has failed to evolve and keep up with the current crop of integrated devices. Up to ver 4.x Palm OS was a very usable, stable, simple and elegant platform; easy to program for and capable of doing lots more than what it was originally designed to do. Garnet was the ill-concieved, unstable version of the OS that propelled most of us into WM.

I see WM as a loose, fluid OS - out of the box is very frustrating to use, but being highly customizable allows it to be easily bent to fullfil your needs. It took me months of intensive research and reading to start learning about WM flexibility and power; I still have lots to learn.

I am VERY happy with the 6800 now and can not see myself going back to Palm OS unless a new stable version with up-to-date functionality replaces Garnet - it will be a cold day in Hell before that, I know...

Now with Rev A and GPS functionality finally unlocked, I am a kid with a new toy full of wonderous potential.

My jorney to the Dark Side is now complete... :evil:

stickygreen95

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Well...after weeks of evaluating the 6800, I have decided to return it. While I have been sold on Windows Mobile as a customizable, multi-tasking powerhouse. I don't think this device brings out the best of it for me. The 6800 seems woefully underpowered. I don't know if its because of the lowly RAM or if it would benefit from a faster processor, but since I got it out of the box its been sluggish. I remember before I put anything on it, watching the screen rotation animation and thinking, "that's a little clumsy". More than anything I miss the snappiness of the PalmOS experience. There is no "hourglass" on the PalmOS. More than anything, I could get things done quickly on my 650.

I think the device for me is going to be the 800w. You get the best of both worlds. All the power and customizability of WinMo + the usablity of Palm out of the box. If the rumor of the features are true, I won't be giving up anything. So here's hoping the specs for the 800w wind up including the following:
  • 320 x 320 resolution
  • 520MHz Processor
  • At least 256MB of RAM

TreoNewt

Jun 3, 2006
Visit site
I never owned a T650, as I understand it was significatly faster than the T700p I used for a year or so.

The 6800 to me, is on par in terms of speed with the T700p which is to say is slower that earlier Palm OS devices such as the T650 or my beloved i500 (the best PDA/phone I ever owned - hands down!).

If the leaked specs are on the ballpark, the Palm 800w is emerging as a very appealing choice to the WM user missing the one handed usability of the Treo line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss