New User - 6800

magesh

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello:

I got my 6800 a few hours back & have been tooling around with it. Had a few false starts, I think I'm getting the hang of it. I was a past windows user but made the jump to Palm about 4 years or so.

AW, here are my Qs that hopefully you folks can help out:

a) In the treo, i could dial out telephone numbers from the web links. Is there anyway to do that on the 6800? I presume its a WM6 limitation right?

b) Anything I can tweak to get my machine up & running faster? I just 'feel' its a tad slow; especially the browser

c) I installed Opera, but its a demo valid till Oct. After that ??? Plus, I don't think its any faster than PIE imho.

d) What are the common apps that you folks have to up your productivity in terms of faster app switching, killing apps when you hit the X button, schedulers, etc ...

e) Any idea on how to get to the phone screen in one tap as opposed to the power button and then the phone button. Don't know why these two buttons are spaced that wide apart, since this is a phone primarily and a PDA next!!!

f) Plus there is no dedicated calendar button!!!! And contacts button!!! Yes, I can remap the other buttons, but these two quick buttons are needed for biz use.

Any other advise / suggestions will be helpful. I want to like this device, but the inability to dial out numbers from the web is becoming a deterrent. Plus the one handed op that I was used - espcially when I needed to make a call - the buttons were nearby.

Thx
M

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Hello:

I got my 6800 a few hours back & have been tooling around with it. Had a few false starts, I think I'm getting the hang of it. I was a past windows user but made the jump to Palm about 4 years or so.

AW, here are my Qs that hopefully you folks can help out:

a) In the treo, i could dial out telephone numbers from the web links. Is there anyway to do that on the 6800? I presume its a WM6 limitation right?

b) Anything I can tweak to get my machine up & running faster? I just 'feel' its a tad slow; especially the browser

c) I installed Opera, but its a demo valid till Oct. After that ??? Plus, I don't think its any faster than PIE imho.

d) What are the common apps that you folks have to up your productivity in terms of faster app switching, killing apps when you hit the X button, schedulers, etc ...

e) Any idea on how to get to the phone screen in one tap as opposed to the power button and then the phone button. Don't know why these two buttons are spaced that wide apart, since this is a phone primarily and a PDA next!!!

f) Plus there is no dedicated calendar button!!!! And contacts button!!! Yes, I can remap the other buttons, but these two quick buttons are needed for biz use.

Any other advise / suggestions will be helpful. I want to like this device, but the inability to dial out numbers from the web is becoming a deterrent. Plus the one handed op that I was used - espcially when I needed to make a call - the buttons were nearby.

Thx
M

I too just got my Mogul, so I'll do my best to answer...

a - That may be a Treo-specific thing that happens. Not so much a limitation as just not built-in to wm6

b - all sorts of tweaks.. but I guess my personal favorite "tweak" is to just keep programs closed. ;) More later.

c - You could pay for opera. I think that PIE is still my favorite, though, along with PIEPlus if you want to extend it.

d - I am a big big fan of spb Pocket Plus. There are many others.

e - Annoying, ain't it? there may be a registry hack, but I haven't had a chance to look. definitely will.

f - take a look at AE Button Plus - http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php - lets you assign different apps to different keypresses - i.e. double press, long hold, etc.

magesh

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Ok. After a day of 'power' using, the Mogul is going back. Its just not for me.

I think its a good device, but for folks spoilt by Treo's true business functionality, this little device, imo, can't match it in terms of productivity - especially key presses, memory utilization, etc ...

However, it does have its salient points. One of the biggest was the ability to multi-task which a Treo cannot do. The landscape view was great; the colors are/were much brighter, imo, than the Treo; voice clarity was AWESOME (much much better than Treo); great form factor; wi-fi; camera with flash; mini usb adapter for charge & sync;

But the things that I rely on daily like being able to do pretty much anything with one hand plus the ability to dial out from webpages directly; apps closing (completely) when I move to another app; key layout without significant finger travel; ringtones for different profiles; ability to quickly move from ring to vibrate and vice versa; getting to the dial pad on switching on the phone as opposed to the today screen and then another button press for the dial pad; one touch dialing, etc ...

I also realize that I can layer some piece of software on top the WM6 to negate some of my problems - but then that's just another portion of the memory being used up.

Hopefully there'll be a new WM6 phone that will primarily targeted for biz users.

M

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
What, the Mogul didn't "release your inner CEO"?? ;) Maybe you should give it a couple of days?

Seriously, I want one, but I am gonna wait and see with the new Palm looks like. However, I still like the Mogul keyboard for typing (I did not really like the T650's nor do I like the Q I have now that much).

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I too just got my Mogul, so I'll do my best to answer...

a - That may be a Treo-specific thing that happens. Not so much a limitation as just not built-in to wm6

b - all sorts of tweaks.. but I guess my personal favorite "tweak" is to just keep programs closed. ;) More later.

c - You could pay for opera. I think that PIE is still my favorite, though, along with PIEPlus if you want to extend it.

d - I am a big big fan of spb Pocket Plus. There are many others.

e - Annoying, ain't it? there may be a registry hack, but I haven't had a chance to look. definitely will.

f - take a look at AE Button Plus - http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php - lets you assign different apps to different keypresses - i.e. double press, long hold, etc.

Well, you've "had'em all" so I will look forward to more of your feedback on the Mogul.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Bubbatex, mine is going back to Sprint as well. Why? I don't find the memory to be sufficient enough to run what i need it to run, and i'm not into the third party software band-aid fix. Is it feature-rich? absolutely, it offers a lot, but all of the features aren't important enough to me to have to deal with a device that begins to slow because of my usage. If you don't mind tending to your open applications or adding 3rd party software to make up for what it doesn't do, or the fact that it's a bit bulky with a slideout keyboard, then it's a great device for you. I suppose if GSM is important you'd opt for the Cingular offering instead.

cheers

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Well so far I'm impressed with the Mogul, but I find it curious that a lot of HTC stuff gets left out - there's no way I'll be able to use thing thing without some of my go-to 3rd party add ons (mentioned above).

I still think I'm going to like it better than the 700wx in terms of power and performance, but I might be proven wrong, it's too soon.

And yes, as always, one-handed use on these sliders is impossible.

I'll tell you what, though, it sure feels good to be back on EVDO after such a long time with EDGE. I'd give AT&T my left [insert appropriate body part here] if they'd just bring me the HSDPA here in inverness, fl.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Bubbatex, mine is going back to Sprint as well. Why? I don't find the memory to be sufficient enough to run what i need it to run, and i'm not into the third party software band-aid fix. Is it feature-rich? absolutely, it offers a lot, but all of the features aren't important enough to me to have to deal with a device that begins to slow because of my usage. If you don't mind tending to your open applications or adding 3rd party software to make up for what it doesn't do, or the fact that it's a bit bulky with a slideout keyboard, then it's a great device for you. I suppose if GSM is important you'd opt for the Cingular offering instead.

cheers

I think it is all about expectations - I have read all of your posts on this subject. Would it have been different if the Mogul had supported BES/BIS? I think the size is nice - not comparable to a Pearl, but it is thinner (less wide, not thickness) than my Q and actually weighs about the same with the extended battery I have on the Q. I personally don't have a problem with opening a program, using it and then closing it. Now, you talk about band-aid fixes - does the Pearl run all of the programs you tested on the Mogul at the same time? Is it different from the Pearl and the iPhone, absolutely. Is it right for you, no. But after reading many of these posts and your comments, I am not exactly sure why you tried it. I knew you were not going to like it! :shake: Don't mean that to offend, just callin' it like I see it.

Is it right for me - maybe, but I think I am willing to now wait and see what the new Palm is going to be like before I do anything.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
fair enough, you can surely think what you want to think. to answer your questions:

-would it have been different had it supported BES/BIS? sure, it would have negated the need for Goodlink and it would have been able to deliver mail without limiting the memory.

-does the Pearl run all of the programs i tested on the Mogul at the same time? no, you surely know that the Blackberry devices don't run on a WM platform so it's impossible to try out WM supported programs on a non-WM device. the Pearl runs mail, accesses the internet, takes pictures, sends SMS/MMS, without a hitch (at least mine does).

your comment "i'm not exactly sure why you tried it"
-i tried it because i wanted to. i was interested in seeing if the smaller size and its larger screen would appeal to me (liked the screen). i was interested in seeing if i could be ok with a slideout keyboard (comfortable and effective but kind of a pain to maneuver). i was interested in determining if it would be as pocketable as my Pearl (kinda bulky for my tastes). i was interested in learning if the device in fact had suitable memory for my usages (and how i use it). so i'm not sure how it is that you arrive at saying "i knew you were not going to like it, and just callin' it like you see it" given what i just said. i like to try the devices out in the real world as opposed to just fiddling around with them in a store. i don't purely rely on what i read on these boards but some of the information is definitely helpful. i gave the device an honest shot, it just wasn't for me. i'm sure you're ok with that.

if you like the Mogul and it works for you, that's fabulous. enjoy it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo