I could not find a thread addressing this topic, so here goes.

1. Where should you install a program?
    2. Memory Card or Device Memory?
    3. Does it really matter?
    4. Any drawbacks one way or the other?

Total noob question, but if I learn the answer now it may save me some trouble later on and....er...ah..some device memory too. ;)
    08-25-2007 09:06 PM
    For the most part, officially you can install programs on either the internal memory or on an SD card. But in practice you will want to choose where you will install them. Programs running from internal memory will run faster, but there is only so much internal memory available. The SD card has the advantage of a huge amount of space, but programs will take longer to load. Here are the guidlines that I use to decide where to install a program:

1) If it is a program or utility that is going to used on the Today screen, a system utility (i.e. memory management, file explorer, email client, internet browser, ect..), or a program that I know will use on a daily or regular basis I will install it in internal memory.

2) If it is something like a game, needs a huge amount of space, something that I know I will not use on regular basis, etc... I will install it on my SD card.

3) There a also programs that you can install the program in internal memory and then save the data it uses on an SD card, i.e. a GPS program in internal memory and the maps on the SD card or an email client in internal memory while setting it save all emails and attachments on my SD card.

4) If is something that has a high amount of personal information, i.e. something like Splash ID, I will install it in internal memory because I lose my SD card, but it is harder to loose just my internal memory.

I hope this helps.
    08-26-2007 01:09 AM
    Hobbs,

That is exactly what I needed to hear! I had a general idea along your guidelines, but since I've never used a Pocket PC long term I thought I should ask a power user. Thanks!!

Items I've installed:
    Installed the Spb backup--Did an OEM OS backup of the entire phone. Simple to use.
    Testing Spb Pocket Plus--Installed in system memory. I like that one!
    Testing Spb Weather--Installed in system memory. I like that one too.
    Oxios Memory 1.40.---Installed in system memory. Kill feature does free up lots-o-memory!
    Opera Mini Beta 4--Works ok. Pain to open through Java first. There is not just one key to open it.

Items I'm considering:
    Spb Shell--for the $ it seems a better alternative and combines Pocket Plus, Weather and photo contacts in one application. One handed use too!

Then I think I'm done with the add-ins for what I need.
    Last edited by thejudge; 08-26-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: updated info
    08-26-2007 06:53 AM
    I personally tend to really like SPB products. I use SPB Shell and like it VERY much. when I get back in the office later this week, I will post a screen shot showing what I have done with all of this stuff.
    08-26-2007 12:15 PM
    Cool. I'd like to see how you have it set up. Give me some ideas.

Am I correct that Shell is basically a combo of some of Pocket Plus and some other items?
    08-26-2007 02:10 PM
    great info. Was about to ask the same question.
    08-30-2007 09:53 AM
    I am glad this helped. I am currently writing a 3 part series focusing on the most common questions & answers for new WM users along with helpful tips for those new to the world WM.
    08-31-2007 03:07 PM
    Here are some of my pictures of the SBP Shell:
    08-31-2007 11:19 PM
    I was testing Spb Pocket Plus and weather. Once the trial was over, I installed the SPB Shell. I like it better as the weather and photo contacts are integrated in one program and it's cheaper too.

Hobbes, thanks for the pics. Man, I have not figured out how to tweak Shell like you have it...LOL. Looks for me are somewhat important...function is biggest for me.

I'll have to tool around with it some more. Shell seems to have so much stuff built into it.

Oh, how do you get screen shots of your Mogul????

Thanks
    09-14-2007 08:41 PM
    I was testing Spb Pocket Plus and weather. Once the trial was over, I installed the SPB Shell. I like it better as the weather and photo contacts are integrated in one program and it's cheaper too.

Hobbes, thanks for the pics. Man, I have not figured out how to tweak Shell like you have it...LOL. Looks for me are somewhat important...function is biggest for me.

I'll have to tool around with it some more. Shell seems to have so much stuff built into it.

Oh, how do you get screen shots of your Mogul????

Thanks
    my favorite way to get screenshots is probably Capture Screen Utility from Fann: http://www.fannsoftware.com/PpcSoftMain.html

But some prefer Ilium's utility:
    http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/fp/screen_capture.php
    09-19-2007 01:47 PM
    my favorite way to get screenshots is probably Capture Screen Utility from Fann: http://www.fannsoftware.com/PpcSoftMain.html

But some prefer Ilium's utility:
    http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/fp/screen_capture.php
    I opted for Fann's product. Timer option saves having to config a key to take the shot. Works nicely!

Thanks for the tip!
    09-23-2007 09:48 PM
    Here are some of my pictures of the SBP Shell:
    Hey Hobbes. What's your take on HTC Home 5/6 tab version? SBP seems too cluttered to me.
    Last edited by aznmode; 09-25-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    09-25-2007 01:37 PM
    HTC Home is a port from the Touch interface. There are threads about the challenges some have with it while others never a lick of trouble. If you are judging the clutter of SPB on my screenshots, that is not really a fair case of point because mine is geared toward my business needs. I need to see all emails, text messages, calendar dates, etc... at a glance. Most don't need to have all that visable at all times. I go for productivity first and looks second.

The HTC Home is really cool looking, which is what most users are after, with easy access to anything else they want. You can do some cool effects with the time, customizable tabs, etc....
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 09-30-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    09-26-2007 12:16 AM
    To help answer some of the main questions of this thread.....plus a lot more than you asked for.....take a look at the WM Guide Part I :

How To: Install, Uninstall, and Transfer Files on Windows Mobile
    09-26-2007 12:19 AM
    Hobbs,

Nice link, seems to have some good info for the noob tweaker here...LOL.

I am using the SPB Shell and have it set for functionality as that is aways more important than looks ...to me...too. Still have not figured it totally, but getting there. So far it is the best "mix" of functionality of several programs I've tested so far.

Thanks for the insight!
    09-27-2007 06:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD