2 questions xv6800

wmscottmc

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
1) whats the difference between locking the phone and pressing the power button once? they both seem to lock buttons so you can put it in your pocket

2) notifications/reminders from the calendar do not wake up the phone, and Im missing appts because of this. Is there a workaround for this problem? Its a big problem for me. Is this how all MS mobile 6 smarphones work, or is it just a bug with this phone?

thanks

cherryhead25

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
1) whats the difference between locking the phone and pressing the power button once? they both seem to lock buttons so you can put it in your pocket

2) notifications/reminders from the calendar do not wake up the phone, and Im missing appts because of this. Is there a workaround for this problem? Its a big problem for me. Is this how all MS mobile 6 smarphones work, or is it just a bug with this phone?

thanks

1) Pressing the power button once wont lock your phone if you set your "if unused for" time for a longer period. If it is set to "0" minutes then yes turning off the power is actually locking the phone. I think I understood you correctly there.

2) Well welcome to Windows Mobile. This is a bug that has plagued WM5 and looks like WM6 now. I havent had any problems yet (knock on wood) but on my old 6700 it happened ALL the time. The best fix I've found is a program called MemMaid. You have to pay for it but it is well worth the money. There might be some freeware programs that do the same thing out there too if you want to take the time. MemMaid allows you to find duplicate notifications and delete them. It will even rebuild your queue so you can start fresh. What I have found (Yes, this is ghetto) is that my tasks queue is much more reliable than my calendar queue so I use a PIM program called Pocket Informant and whenever I need a calendar event to alarm me I link it to a task. You can do this easily in PI. I know that's probably not the best way but I hate missing reminders and tasks doesnt seem to give me as much hassle as the calendar. Ive set a couple calendar reminders on my Mog and they have worked fine so far but if it's something inportant I ususally set two reminders anyways. There might be a way to fix it up using a registry hack or something but unless it is tested and confirmed working I wont touch it.

If you can find a better way let me know. Im all ears.

Hope this helps.

wmscottmc

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

What I meant for #1 is that there is an icon on the today screen to lock or unlock the device. when its locked you need to press 'unlock' before you can use the phone, if I press the power button once, I need to press it again before I can use the phone. either way the phone is safe to put in my pocket (it wont autodial accidentally). What is the advantage of using the device lock app? seems like more trouble than its worth.

#2 - does the program you mentioned really turn on the phone and beep when the phone is 'asleep' ?

Thanks

cherryhead25

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

What I meant for #1 is that there is an icon on the today screen to lock or unlock the device. when its locked you need to press 'unlock' before you can use the phone, if I press the power button once, I need to press it again before I can use the phone. either way the phone is safe to put in my pocket (it wont autodial accidentally). What is the advantage of using the device lock app? seems like more trouble than its worth.

#2 - does the program you mentioned really turn on the phone and beep when the phone is 'asleep' ?

Thanks

Memmaid does not. I use that to keep my notifications clean. Keep RAM clean etc. check it out http://www.dinarsoft.com/memmaid/

Pocket Informant uses your devices notification queues but what I was saying is that my tasks usually dont tank on me. So when I create a calendar appt I want to be remined of I will usually link it to a task which you can do in PI. So I guess yes the answer to your question is yes it will wake up the device when it is off and alarm you that somethings due or coming up. I know it is ghetto but sometimes I would rather be safe than sorry. Try setting up a task with a reminder (like 5 minutes), shut off your device and see if it alarms you. If it doesnt your gonna need a program like memmaid ( I think Pocket Mechanic does it too) to clean your notification queue. It will also rebuild your Active sync if that ever craps out on you.

Hope that helps.

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Thanks for the reply.

If you need to put a password on your device, you can then lock it quick with that icon. It's mainly for security.

wmscottmc

Feb 9, 2008
Visit site
Pressing the 'device unlocked' icon on the today screen does not require a password to unlock the device, you only have to press the unlock button. Try it, there is no added security with this button. So I still dont get what its used for.

Any other opinions????

cherryhead25

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Pressing the 'device unlocked' icon on the today screen does not require a password to unlock the device, you only have to press the unlock button. Try it, there is no added security with this button. So I still dont get what its used for.

Any other opinions????

It is used for added "security" so you dont accidentally dial while the device is in your pocket.
- If the device is unlocked. Hit power button. Power off. Hit power button. Power on. If phone is in your bag or pocket and the power button is pressed accidentally then the green phone button is hit or contacts is pressed you could potentially make a call you didnt want to. Also, when the device is unlocked and the power is on your touch screen is active as well.

- If the device is locked. Hit power button. Power off. Hit power button. Power on. Now the only way to use the phone/pda/ touchscreen is to unlock it via the unlock button (which is essentially two taps). Now when the phone is in your bag/ pocket and the power button is accidentally pressed it is much more unlikely you will excute an action you didnt want to.

Essentially you're right about security of data. It doesn't secure anything. But when it comes to avoiding actions you dont intend it is very useful. Or like Dieter said if you dont want to wait for your timeout period, set up a password and locking your device will automatically prompt you for the password next time you power up.

That's about all I got. Good luck!

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
Actually, it is for security -- if you have set a password on the device, that turns into a button for requiring you to enter the password. if you don't, then yes, it's a useless hassle. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre