Rev.A / GPS Software Update Official Date

charlesclai

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Hey all, I've been reading these forums for the past few days since I've been looking to get the HTC Mogul which I finally bought today. At the Sprint Store, I was talking to a representative about the Software Update and he couldn't give me a date, but was able to tell me about all the functionalities which are basically already here.

The representative to his left, however, chimed in with some interesting information. He told me the date of the software update would be this following Monday, March 10th. I was a bit skeptical though, seeing as how this update has been pushed back for so long. He reassured me by telling me he had just gone to a Windows Mobile training session and representatives from HTC had confirmed the date of this coming Monday. He said to be on the lookout at around noon.

Also, for those who don't know, this update will require a hard reset, so take the necessary precautions before installing!

While this may all just be hearsay, this sounded like some pretty trustworthy information which I thought y'all would find interesting.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
That would be GREAT!!!! But so far every date given by Sprint reps, level 2 support, etc... have all been wrong. I really appreciate you sharing, and I will look for it. What seems weird about that is that I believe historically Sprint has released ROM updates on Friday. I won't hold my breath, but I will look for it!

You can see how seriously I take leaked release dates here:

Official Mogul GPS/Rev A ROM Upgrade Release date..IMHO of course

Oh.....and BTW.....WELCOME TO WMEXPERTS!!!!!! :cheers:

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
Okay....it has been about 4 days since I have been able to browse the forums due to work....and it looks like you might right. Here is a copy of an email from Sprint posted over at PPCGeeks:

Mizono said:
Ok I know how many threads have come and gone about this. I do work for sprint I am Tier 2 support. We just recieved literally a minute ago stating that 3.35.651.2 with a ROM date of 2/22/08 will be released 03/10. I have coppied as much as I can from the email regarding this. Please dont flame im not trying to stir anything up.

• A maintenance release for the Mogul (PPC 6800) will be available on 3/10/08 from HTCs site. The new ROM version is 3.35.651.2 with a ROM date of 2/22/08.
  • It provides several key updates:
  • Added GPS Support
  • Added Sprint Navigation Application
  • Added Qualcomm EVDO RevA upgrade
  • Added Task Manager to Today Screen

It is recommended that all users update their ROM to take advantage of these enhancements. Users must back-up any data added to their device before updating the software. Instructions and the software download are posted at http://www.america.htc.com/mogulupdate

Customers must download the software upgrade application (RUU) to a PC, and then install it to their Mogul by connecting the Mogul to their PC using the USB cable provided in the box. The application will not run on MAC machines, and cannot be downloaded over the air.
Before running the ROM Upgrade Utility (RUU), customers must make sure they do the following first::

Tip: If you are having challenges connecting with ActiveSync, please try: Start > Settings > Connection Tab > USB to PC > Deselect Enable advanced network functionality.
The standby and hibernation modes are disabled on the computer.
All running applications on the computer have been closed.
Ensure that you device has a battery level of at least 50% (Start > Settings > System Tab > Power > Battery Tab). If the battery "dies" during the upgrade process, there is a chance that it will not recover and will need to be sent for repairs.
The update can take up to 25 minutes so set aside time when you will not be interrupted.
All data will be deleted from the device during the upgrade (music, pictures, 3rd party applications, etc); be sure to back up all of your data using ActiveSync prior to upgrading.
Do not interrupt the upgrade process or press any buttons until the process has been completed (the device will reset itself when the update is done).
General Procedure on Installing the ROM Update
Back up your personal data from the Mobile Device to your computer using ActiveSync if you want to ensure you don't lose any of your data. For more information on how to back up and restore your data, click here.
On your computer, run the ROM Update Utility (RUU) to install the ROM update to your Mobile Device. (The next section provides a detailed procedure on how to install the ROM Update).
Restore your personal data back to your Mobile Device using ActiveSync. (Optional)
WARNING: During the upgrade process, do not attempt to make/receive calls, press any buttons on your device or disconnect the device from the USB cable as this will stop the update and your device will be rendered inoperable!!!
The upgrade process takes up to 25 minutes. It is recommended that you close all programs on your PC prior to starting the update program and do not open any applications or files while the update is in process. All personal data stored on the device will be lost. Make sure you save all pictures, videos, and important files to your PC prior to performing the update process.
?2007 Sprint Nextel. All rights reserved. SPRINT PROPRIETARY - INTERNAL USE ONLY

DrDoom#WP

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
As soon as someone can find out let us know if it fixes the issue with the device FREEZING while roaming. That one is the WORST!

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
It killed my phone. It gets to 1% and then stops with saying:

Error 328 Invalid Command

I had no special ROMs on it at all. It is now just sitting there on the color screen.

My local sprint store is not answering their phone. I tried calling sprint tech support and they are not able to answer the phone at this time, and encouraging me to try my call again later.

I will update when resolved.

laxplayer37

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
Hummmm That doesn't give me a good feeling to know that its killed someones phone already.

Has anyone had this ROM update work on their phone yet?

rlundy

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I also started getting error messages during the update. Kept stopping at 1% invalid command error message. This was using Vista.

At this point my device had no firmware-call it semi bricked. It would boot to the multicolored firmware update screen.

Copied the ROM across my network to a WinXP machine-and reran the ROM-took the update w/o a problem.

EXCEPT! Now all my phone setting have been wiped out-I don't even have working phone. Have to call sprint but don't have the SERO customer service number with me, its at work.

Anyway, if you're having trouble on Vista, try an XP box, works for me.

Robert

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
I've spent all day just trying to download the friggin thing. Anyone got a better link than download.america.htc.com ? It keeps dropping out and crawling at 20k/s.

UPDATE: The forums here have other links, there's a big sticky at the top.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

I'm surprised this is not on WMExpert's front page...
It is....

http://wmexperts.com/downloads/RUU_...651.2_RS_TITAN_3.35.04_4350H_SPCS_AM_Ship.exe

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
I also started getting error messages during the update. Kept stopping at 1% invalid command error message. This was using Vista.

At this point my device had no firmware-call it semi bricked. It would boot to the multicolored firmware update screen.

Copied the ROM across my network to a WinXP machine-and reran the ROM-took the update w/o a problem.

EXCEPT! Now all my phone setting have been wiped out-I don't even have working phone. Have to call sprint but don't have the SERO customer service number with me, its at work.

Anyway, if you're having trouble on Vista, try an XP box, works for me.

Robert
Welcome to WMEXPERTS!!!!!

I came here to post nearly the exact same thing.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS ROM WITH A VISTA MACHINE. If you do it will stop anywhere from 10-12% and lock on the color test screen. And giving the Error Code 328 Invalid Command at 1% every time.

You must use a computer with XP. And then you should not have any problems.

I actually took mine down to Sprint store down the street and they gave me a brand new one (which since mine was getting a little old is a nice thing) and since I had my Sedio battery in it, they gave me an extra battery tooj for free!

It is now just over 50% updated with the ROM on my son's XP computer.

Last edited:

rsbennett00

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I updated fine using Vista on a macbook pro. The GPS is great, I used it on the way home last night and it verified that I've been driving the shortest route all along.

HobbesIsReal#WP

May 2, 2004
www.wmexperts.com
The GPS is great, I used it on the way home last night and it verified that I've been driving the shortest route all along.
I agree I was able to lock on around 8 sat on the first floor inside of our two story house last night.

For those who are having any challenges with getting the GPS started remember to turn it on, set it to Com4 (with the hardware set to nothing at 4800 baud), set the phone to location for 911........and that in order for a big GPS applications to see it (i.e. TomTom, iNav, et...) you will need to "prime" it. In other words start a small GPS utility that will start the GPS going, and then with this running in the background the bigger GPS programs will see it.

I am sure there is going to continue to be GPS questions with the Mogul, so I started a new thread on just that:

The PPC-6800 GPS Thread

Last edited:

DrDoom#WP

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Well, I'll say everything appears to be the way it should, but I cannot get a GPS lock in the middle of Jacksonville FL, whereas last night after the upgrade in podunk Kingsland GA I did. Don't know what that means, but there it is. And yes, I was outside, just off Southside BLVD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3