WP8 on Sprint

sphenodont

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'm new here. No, I'm not a troll. :)

Anyway, I was checking the blog at Ting (a Sprint MNVO), and this little tidbit popped out at me.

We?re looking ahead to the device lineup for the first half of 2013. We?ll be adding a Windows Phone device running the latest version of the mobile OS within this time. Worst case scenario for Windows Phone on Ting: We?ll have the latest WP device sixty days after Sprint begins offering it. Best case: We?ll have it at the same time as it becomes available in Sprint?s lineup.

Reading between the lines, that sounds like Sprint does have plans to come out with a new Windows Phone, but that they aren't willing to officially state that. (It works out for me, since my contract isn't out until May anyway, but for people who are out of contract now... they might have a bit of a wait ahead of them.)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That is a nice find. Who is Andrew Moore and what is his connection to Sprint? Did you send this as a tip to the WPCentral editors?

sphenodont

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how, otherwise I would have. :)

Andrew is one of the guys at Ting, which is a MNVO started by TUCOWS. It's on the Sprint network, and they've been working with Sprint to get the ability to activate out-of-contract Sprint devices on their plans, as well as clear the way for future phones. This tidbit was nestled in the rest of the info.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how, otherwise I would have. :)

Andrew is one of the guys at Ting, which is a MNVO started by TUCOWS. It's on the Sprint network, and they've been working with Sprint to get the ability to activate out-of-contract Sprint devices on their plans, as well as clear the way for future phones. This tidbit was nestled in the rest of the info.
Thanks for the info on Ting. To send a tip to the WPCentral team, go to this link:

Contact | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

On the Category field, choose "News Tip" from the drop-down menu. Then put the link on the message body.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sprint has always said they'd eventually support WP8, just not "lead the charge" (whatever that means).

If the Softbank buyout happens, Sprint may have enough additional cash to start supporting phones other than iPhones and Evos.

pwrof3

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Also, starting in early November (or late October), you will be able to use the HTC Arrive on Ting for those who don't want to wait for whenever they get Windows Phone 8.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Glad Sprint will jump on the WP8 bandwagon. Never a doubt in my mind they would. But I had tons of doubts it would be too late to help them or WP8. Anything before Summer, 2013 (felt with Sprint a year was needed) is fine.

kevinroyalty

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
what phones do we know?

so, i've been rocking an Arive since they were available and have updated it manually to 8107.79 I'm due for an upgrade and am out of contract. i can switch from sprint and have been actively talking to tmobile and verizon. i've been drooling over the new HTC, Nokia and Samsung devices and would be happy with any of those on sprint.

if i could get a straight answer from anyone at sprint, i'd most likely stay, as long as i can get a WP8 device. Does anyone have any news they can share that is reliable?

Kevin

fierywater

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
My gut feeling says Sprint will pick up ZTE's first WP8 handset. ZTE is scheduled to come out with their device in Q1 2013, which lines up with Ting's prediction.

Nothing but speculation, but Sprint has a few ZTE devices and ZTE must be looking for a way to break into the US at this point.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting for a long time also for news/info on when/if Sprint will come through with a WP8 device. Here's the thing that troubles me about all this. My local Sprint store has always been one to freely give information when they have it. Best example of that was when I learned they would be getting the iPhone about 6-8 months before it was publicly announced or even heard about it online. As far as WP8 goes, nothing. They are completely in the dark on all of this also. There is no word from Corporate on this as far as they know.

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I honestly would be surprised if they offered anything next year. They showed zero love for one of there highest rated phones and have sunk way to much money into apple at this point. Not saying they want ever but it would appear they are leaving it on the shelf at the moment.

calvinada991

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My guess was Sprint is getting WP8 when I read the Bloomberg article.
Pay attention at the section about "IPhone Traffic" where Softbank Corp. president said:
?So if I didn?t have any interesting strategy, I wouldn?t bet $20 billion? on Sprint.

Read more: Softbank

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05