I'm a software developer, currently using a Surface Book 2 with 16GB RAM. My RAM usage is constantly pegged between 95-100% (95% as I write this) so I need something with more memory. I was disappointed a Surface Book 3 didn't get released, but the Laptop 3 with 32 GB is very enticing. I've already pre-ordered the AMD consumer edition, but I'm curious what others think. I've been torn about this decision since these devices were revealed.

UserBenchmark ranks my current Surface Book 2 CPU slightly better than the Ryzen 3700U, which I understand to be that in the Laptop 3 (Plus an extra Vega core): https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...53957vsm765724

1) Should I even bother upgrading at this time?
    2) I need Windows 10 Pro anyways, which will cost me an extra $99 once I get the device. Should I spend the extra $$ and go for the Business version with the Intel chip? I also used a student discount on the Laptop 3 which I would lose with the Business version, thereby costing me several hundred dollars more than just the Win 10 Pro license.

I know there are other great laptops available, but I really want to stay in the Microsoft device ecosystem.

Thanks!
    10-08-2019 09:48 AM
    Assuming you pre-ordered through MS, you can return it for free until 1/31/20 so you'll get 3 months to evaluate. Combined with what you want for specs, your desire to stay with MS hardware, and the student discount, there's no downside to your decision b/c the Laptop 3 is your only option.
    10-09-2019 07:09 AM
    Good point about returning it if I'm unhappy. I never considered that but Microsoft does have a very generous return policy. Thanks!
    10-09-2019 09:16 AM
    I am also curious how these compare to the Book 2 with dedicated gpu.

I only game using Steam, NBA 2k, and quite happy with the performance I get from my 13 inch. But the flatness and lightness is enticing to me, more than the ram.
    Today 07:05 AM