Surface Laptop Waiting Room!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
The reason you see lines at Apple store is because of the iPhone. So, no, you won't see lines like that at the MS store. However, I do believe the Surface Laptop will see very good sales. Its very impressive.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I hope it turns out to have good sales, it definitely looks interesting!

Is there a Microsoft Store? I may have to go check one of if it's anywhere nearby!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Folks,

Ok so who thinks this is the MacBook killer? Who's buying one? Will we see Apple Store like lines at the Microsoft store. IS there a Microsoft store? lol

Well I just googled it and there ARE!!!!!!

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...re%3Ficid%3Den_US_Store_UH_FAS&token=uRNiuOe5

So who's with me! Shall we start the ubiquitous "Waiting Room" thread? These are OH so popular at CrackBerry and iMore! lol

Macbook killer? Hardly... unless one's workflow on OSX is so generic as to easily switch over to Windows apps. As for whether or not the entry level model is worth the $1000 will greatly depend upon how restricted Windows 10 S is. Other than it being a "Surface" why would someone chose this over something like the Dell XPS 13?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Macbook killer? Hardly... unless one's workflow on OSX is so generic as to easily switch over to Windows apps. As for whether or not the entry level model is worth the $1000 will greatly depend upon how restricted Windows 10 S is. Other than it being a "Surface" why would someone chose this over something like the Dell XPS 13?

That's why I don't plan to get the "S" version of Windows 10." :p

I had a MacBook and this seems like a good replacement (well for me that is). The pricing isn't that bad for something light, portable, and powerful.

I do kinda like the Dell XPS 13! I think our community manager @James Falconer has one

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Then there's the question: Why will Windows 10 S succeed when Windows RT failed?

I was and still am a big fan of the Surface 2 w/Windows RT. Even though I have a variety of newer more capable devices, I still use it on a regular basis. It came preloaded with a near-full version of MS Office with a perpetual license at no extra cost. In many respects, it is a more "pro" device than my 12.9" iPad Pro.

Yet in spite of all of its capabilities, it failed. The first wave of devices to come preloaded with Windows 10 S have pricetags that are no different than comparable and currently available Win 10 notebooks. I suspect that Microsoft will raise the price of Windows 10 Home for hardware manufacturers and make S the fit the current entry level price point.

To then make this (Windows 10 S) the default OS on the new $1000 Surface notebook makes no sense to me. Based on what we know about Windows 10 S, it isn't targeted at Chromebooks but an incremental way to force customer lock-in to the Microsoft Store.

DamanGoldberg

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Granted it's the Surface line of products, which commands premium pricing, but $1K is significant to force a lock-in. I don't mind it, just don't want it forced upon me directly.

As I was just thinking about starting a new thread, I will admit that I didn't watch the keynote and other stuff live, as I was sleeping. However, this is RT ~2.0. I'm afraid it will suffer the same fate, even though the hardware is more powerful and the interface is familiar (which was part of the problem with RT in the Win 8 era).

There are price points targeted at Chromebooks from partners; this is going to appeal to those that would buy the Google Pixel Chromebooks. For the life of me, I would never understand paying major $$ for what is essentially a Web Browser on top of a forked Android base OS.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Although the laptop looks gorgeous and powerful, I might wait until this Fall to see if there will be anything interesting coming out. As usual, MS Surface products are riddled with bugs that require several firmware updates to stabilise and live up to the promised functionality so people who preorder for one might get a bit disappointed later on.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Loc Ngo
Although the laptop looks gorgeous and powerful, I might wait until this Fall to see if there will be anything interesting coming out. As usual, MS Surface products are riddled with bugs that require several firmware updates to stabilise and live up to the promised functionality so people who preorder for one might get a bit disappointed later on.

Not a big problem. It's not a hardware problem.

aiya24

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
If you're local to a Microsoft Store, they already have them on display. My local one (Cerritos, CA), didn't have the cobalt blue color but had the rest.

The device is really nice, feels light and very premium to me. The display is amazing, basically the same as the Book. Speakers were surprisingly loud even inside the loud store. The ones they had on display were the i5/8GB/256GB model. I have a Pro 3 and thinking of upgrading to one.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

Same reason why they'd pay for a MacBook over a dell xps 13. Because of "premium feel" and 'design asthetics' and all such things. Device design lust. Lets face it, surface laptop makes MacBook look a little chubby/heavy. Dated even. Spec wise it wins out too. I want one, and I have zero use for a laptop.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Then there's the question: Why will Windows 10 S succeed when Windows RT failed?

I was and still am a big fan of the Surface 2 w/Windows RT. Even though I have a variety of newer more capable devices, I still use it on a regular basis. It came preloaded with a near-full version of MS Office with a perpetual license at no extra cost. In many respects, it is a more "pro" device than my 12.9" iPad Pro.

Yet in spite of all of its capabilities, it failed. The first wave of devices to come preloaded with Windows 10 S have pricetags that are no different than comparable and currently available Win 10 notebooks. I suspect that Microsoft will raise the price of Windows 10 Home for hardware manufacturers and make S the fit the current entry level price point.

To then make this (Windows 10 S) the default OS on the new $1000 Surface notebook makes no sense to me. Based on what we know about Windows 10 S, it isn't targeted at Chromebooks but an incremental way to force customer lock-in to the Microsoft Store.

How so? From what I understand they targeted all the app loading, login, and start-up times to competitively match chromeOS. The deployment tool, and app lock in also match the "easy to manage" quality of chromeOS. To me it looks very much like they were trying to match the speed and simplicity of chrome with windows s.

Of course, the lock-in of s, and the security setting in regular windows, and the promotion of windows on arm + platform unification is all part of the general strategy. MS understands that for it to have a secure future it needs to compete across a diverse range of stationary and mobile hardware and that can only happen if the software runs across a diverse range of stationary and mobile hardware - so MS and windows fortune is squarely pinned to bringing developers around to the store and the UWP.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
How so? From what I understand they targeted all the app loading, login, and start-up times to competitively match chromeOS. The deployment tool, and app lock in also match the "easy to manage" quality of chromeOS. To me it looks very much like they were trying to match the speed and simplicity of chrome with windows s.
If their intent with Windows S is to match the simplicity and speed of ChromeOS, then from what is currently known about Windows 10 S, it will fail in that regard. Those things in S that you mentioned are "bolted-on" rather than being an integral part of the system.

For example: The footprint of ChromeOS doesn't dramatically rise over time. With Win10 (and presumably with S) it does. significantly. Take a Win10 notebook with a 32GB eMMC drive boot it for the first time, you'll find a little over 20GB free. (just the system,no bloatware) After the first wave of updates, there'll be about 14GB free. After another batch, around 10. The system self-regulates a bit and free space will rise from that 10 to about 12. Using Disk Cleanup may free up another GB or two. Throw a major update like the Anniversary or Creators and free space can drop below 10.

Windows 10 S is little more than an x86 version of Windows RT (which was in essence the ARM version of Windows 8). Again, based on what is currently known, Microsoft didn't gut out Windows 10 to make it simpler and leaner but added on some things to address Google's marketing bullet points when they promote ChromeOS.

Powerpoint-driven design at its best (worst).

Of course, the lock-in of s, and the security setting in regular windows, and the promotion of windows on arm + platform unification is all part of the general strategy. MS understands that for it to have a secure future it needs to compete across a diverse range of stationary and mobile hardware and that can only happen if the software runs across a diverse range of stationary and mobile hardware - so MS and windows fortune is squarely pinned to bringing developers around to the store and the UWP.
THAT (store lock-in) is the real driver for Win 10 S. (does the "S" stand for "Store"? :smile:) Windows systems are mostly commodities. Very price sensitive. Flood the market with low-cost notebooks that can only install apps from the App Store, and you have a captive audience. Or, you'll have a bunch of people dishing out $50+ to Microsoft to upgrade from 10 S to 10. Win-win for Microsoft. How does the consumer win?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If their intent with Windows S is to match the simplicity and speed of ChromeOS, then from what is currently known about Windows 10 S, it will fail in that regard. Those things in S that you mentioned are "bolted-on" rather than being an integral part of the system.

For example: The footprint of ChromeOS doesn't dramatically rise over time. With Win10 (and presumably with S) it does. significantly. Take a Win10 notebook with a 32GB eMMC drive boot it for the first time, you'll find a little over 20GB free. (just the system,no bloatware) After the first wave of updates, there'll be about 14GB free. After another batch, around 10. The system self-regulates a bit and free space will rise from that 10 to about 12. Using Disk Cleanup may free up another GB or two. Throw a major update like the Anniversary or Creators and free space can drop below 10.

Windows 10 S is little more than an x86 version of Windows RT (which was in essence the ARM version of Windows 8). Again, based on what is currently known, Microsoft didn't gut out Windows 10 to make it simpler and leaner but added on some things to address Google's marketing bullet points when they promote ChromeOS.

Powerpoint-driven design at its best (worst).

THAT (store lock-in) is the real driver for Win 10 S. (does the "S" stand for "Store"? :smile:) Windows systems are mostly commodities. Very price sensitive. Flood the market with low-cost notebooks that can only install apps from the App Store, and you have a captive audience. Or, you'll have a bunch of people dishing out $50+ to Microsoft to upgrade from 10 S to 10. Win-win for Microsoft. How does the consumer win?

You think disk footprint is an issue with a 64gb minimum platform (every single windows s device is 4/64)?

I've never had any issue with my 64gb tablet on windows, and I don't expect to. The disk impact generally seems stable and minor.

I could be surpised, and I get your point, in a way (perhaps on 64gb system you wouldn't be able to install half a dozen games and load your entire media collection), but isn't 32gb storage basically over?

Surface laptops btw run, 128-512gbs. Don't see any issues there with disk footprint!

Not that we have seen the disk footprint of "s".....it's all guessing...I do get your point though.

Cloud based is slim. Android/ChromeOS is thin. But....that isn't 100% clear and clean desireable though. You might want some apps/programs to have some ompf. You might want your apps local, rather than loading via slow networks. You might want peripheral compatibility.

There are significant points of difference here, minimise them as people might want to. ChromeOS is probably still faster. But windows s, is more powerful. They are close in some ways, disperate in others. Pick and choose as you will, and....

benchmarking pending tm. (please do that load time, task switching, login, hibernate, power software crunching, full MFing benchmarking. Yesterday. Get to it monkeys! lol; and don't forget to mention dem edu applicable apps. App power and app selection. We all want to see how this actually stacks up, now and also in the future of apps as a chromeOS killer. Art, music, office docs, collaboration, design, accounting, some other weird degree. Shark versus tiger. In space. You know you want to :p ;) )

Last edited:

chattoe

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at getting one of these, I've just been to the Microsoft store website and you can only preorder the silver. Any one know where the other colours are?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm looking at getting one of these, I've just been to the Microsoft store website and you can only preorder the silver. Any one know where the other colours are?

I know there's burgundy and cobalt blue as well. But most colours are thoroughly sold out, from what I heard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3