Sooooo, are you going to buy the Surface Laptop or what?

macgyverated

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Lenovo Miix 510 Surface clone, so I'm not a need of another device. But even if I did have the need, I think I'd still opt for a 2-in-1, rather than being locked to clamshell device. Granted, my Miix gets used mainly with the keyboard attached, but there are times when it's nice to use in tablet mode. And my Miix has more usable ports. Oh, and cost a lot less while still being equipped with an i5, 8GB of RAM, and having a 256GB ssd.

alanSJ

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Hey everybody.

By now, you probably know all about the Surface Laptop. You know about those tech specs. You know about the four color options — though you may not be able to actually get the device in those different colors. And you know the pricing and availability details. (June 15 is the big day, at least if you live in the U.S.)

So, the big question: Are you actually going to buy one? If so, why? If not, what’s keeping you from pulling the trigger?

I’ll start. I’m definitely interested, but I’m not sure I’m interested enough to buy one at this point. If I was going to buy a new Surface device right now, I think I might still go with the higher-end Surface Book with Performance Base, which is likely “the best convertible available today.”

What say you?

I'm still on the fence. Already own the SP4 and want to see what the next SB has to offer before making a decision. I like the look of the new SL a lot, but just like a lot of other folks (including the Windows Central staff and other reviewers from various tech sites) I'm a little concerned about the Alcantera interior. Will it be durable and easy to clean? I wish we had an all metal/magnesium option. If I didn't already own the SP4, I would still have to check out the SL in person first because of the fabric interior before making any purchase decision. I would not be pre-ordering the SL.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Nah, it's too expensive for my tastes and I shutter at the thought of what that cloth cover will look like after two years of my nasty mitts smearing all over it.

bkydcmpr

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
No. When I saw the ports, I immediately knew I won't even take a closer look again. No USB-C (actually no Thunderbolt 3) is the deal breaker, actually one is not enough, it needs 2 of Thunderbolt 3 ports, at least one USB-C one Thunderbolt 3. Second thought, the storage is too little, double the deal breaker.

bkydcmpr

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Merely a USB Type C port is useless
No. A USB-C port alone can help you to get rid of a stuuupid power brick from your backpack. I'm only carrying one power supply which charges my Dell XPS 12, my Android phone, and hack even my Sonicare toothbrush through a USB-C Qi wireless pad. Simply say, I won't buy any new gadget not charging through USB-C.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
No. A USB-C port alone can help you to get rid of a stuuupid power brick from your backpack. I'm only carrying one power supply which charges my Dell XPS 12, my Android phone, and hack even my Sonicare toothbrush through a USB-C Qi wireless pad. Simply say, I won't buy any new gadget not charging through USB-C.

I had the new Macbook Pro and hated USB C and living the dongle life.... Sure you might be able to ditch the charger but you'll be carrying dongles..........

Also consider that with USB C charging you'd loose the magnetic charging connection. That could save your $1K laptop from a tumble off a table or desk if the cord is tugged or tripped over..

USB C is not mainstream enough yet for it to be a must have on a PC... Maybe in 5-years but not now.. I have absolutely noting that connects via USB C...

My one and only bummer with the new Surface Laptop is the lack of SD card slot..

bkydcmpr

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I had the new Macbook Pro and hated USB C and living the dongle life.... Sure you might be able to ditch the charger but you'll be carrying dongles
What dongle are you talking about? I don't need any. My mouse is Bluetooth, my external SSD is USB-C, my flash drive is USB-C. I have a USB-C to HDMI cable to use for presentation. I don't know why there are people need dongles so much.

I do use USB-A for my VR headset and Rasberry Pi etc. but all on my desktop, I don't carry them around.

Si Ko 1

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Hey everybody.

By now, you probably know all about the Surface Laptop. You know about those tech specs. You know about the four color options — though you may not be able to actually get the device in those different colors. And you know the pricing and availability details. (June 15 is the big day, at least if you live in the U.S.)

So, the big question: Are you actually going to buy one? If so, why? If not, what’s keeping you from pulling the trigger?

I’ll start. I’m definitely interested, but I’m not sure I’m interested enough to buy one at this point. If I was going to buy a new Surface device right now, I think I might still go with the higher-end Surface Book with Performance Base, which is likely “the best convertible available today.”

What say you?

I say that I wouldn't buy the Surface Laptop, since I'm still very content with my Surface Book.

If I was a kid of a rich family and my peers in school were carrying around Macs, I would definitely go and see one, and probably ask daddy to buy me one :)

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Yep! Definitely, waiting until I can get cobalt blue here in Australia. Fir me it's perfect at 8gb/256 i5 as main requirements are weight and battery life. Love the design, brilliantly simple and definitely a Surface product unlike what some people say!!!!!! Again, this thing will inspire other makers to pull their finger out; so sick of the black brigade of plastic crap out there. HP and Lenovo are the only other makers doing a half decent job and after seeing this they will push more.

gnome920

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I already pre-orered the i5/8GB/256GB model in Cobalt Blue. I would have like a USB-C instead of the mini-Display Port but I do like the Surface Connect interface as that will allow it to connect to my existing Surface Dock. This device will be replacing a SP4 I don't use much as I have found that the tablet form factor doesn't really fit my use patterns.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No, but then I have a Surface Pro 4 anyway and the Surface Laptop is really aimed at students not consumers.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I want one but I'm taking a wait and see. I own a 2016 MacBook and an older HP 2 in 1. I might wait for cheaper Win 10 S models from HP, ASUS, etc

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm in! I don't care for 2-in-1's. I tried a Surface 3 and didn't care for it. I prefer a plain laptop form factor. I see most complaining about lack of USB C but the only device I own with USB C is my phone and the cable has USB A connector. I occasionally use thumb drives and such.

So for laptops, I tend to prefer ThinkPads since they are tanks. A ThinkPad in this form factor is going to cost more and my mobility needs do not justify the cost. So, Microsoft has presented a product that fits my needs, has a free upgrade to W10 Pro and their extended warranty is only $99. Cobalt Blue for me...

jmatgood

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, with the Surface Pro 3 now replaced by the Surface book and 2 Surface RTs and and HP sitting on the shelf, I will not. I actually may be eyeing the Lenovo X1 carbon seeing as I get more bang for my buck. I know it will last 4 years of whatever I put it though, I can change out the batteries, memory, SSD's, wifi cards and has USB C. My $2100 will be spent as $1200 for the Lenovo (with my corp discount on it) and the rest will go to the Scorpio, and/or ARM device this fall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz