Why on earth is the internet axe-jobbing Alcantara?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess not everybody has a car or just headphones with Alcantra. It is possible to clean it if necessary.

I have a normal keyboard and clean it upside down with a cloth rising each edge a bit. A lot fells out on the table. The fabric finish is genius.

hey octagon31415, im one of those people. ive never touched the fabric unless ive rode a rental car that had it and wasnt aware, but im curious to see what it feels like. compared to some people ive seen using laptops/computers, im a relatively clean person so id clean it periodically. it takes all of what, a few minutes to do? nothing major to complain about and its for the better.

clintroymkt

May 19, 2017
Visit site
I personally think Alcantara is quite awesome, It seems to be something that tries to blur the line between technology and more conventional products like fashion , something that is a move all over the tech industry right now(that google smart jacket for example). It also seems to be something that microsoft wants to use as a stable for the surface line now ,but that being said , it isnt the best innovation theyve come up with , even if it does set surface products apart

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've seen plenty of Macbooks (pros) with colour/metal fading where the palms rest during typing. In my opinion, that's far worse, because it's not something that can be fixed with a little water and soap. Why isn't the internet going nuts over this?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
It's common logic to not mistreat your laptop by eating or drinking near it, ESPECIALLY if it's a SURFACE. If I have to watch movies and stuff I keep my laptop mounted and sit at a distance and enjoy my meal. The internet loves to hate after all...

May 15, 2017
Visit site
people fear what is new. if it was for the surface pro it wouldn't be that big a deal because in people's mindset it's "i can always get another one". because it's on the surface laptop, fears are being manifested as negativity.

Last edited:

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Well if I told you I'm putting fabric on a premium expensive laptop it may sound a bit daunting. I have no doubt it will last under care, it just seems scary to approach.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
hey kashgohel. my older macbook pro from 2006 started to get marks where the palm rests where and it was rather ugly to look at. fabric is an interesting design choice and although i can see concern for a fabric replacing metal or plastic, people who do know about alcantara seem to praise it. i dont have access to alcantara so im curious: what does it feel like? is it stiff? cushiony? do the fibers get itchy?

Hey k1a23, alcantara just looks like those silicon moulds for cooking or flexible mugs. Very smooth, slightly soft but if you look closer you'll see these microscopic hairs on it. Its like velvet-ish that has been stamped flat with a hot iron.

Hopefully all those unorthodox descriptions help you out! :p

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Hey k1a23, alcantara just looks like those silicon moulds for cooking or flexible mugs. Very smooth, slightly soft but if you look closer you'll see these microscopic hairs on it. Its like velvet-ish that has been stamped flat with a hot iron.

Hopefully all those unorthodox descriptions help you out! :p

i was going to say almost like suede.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa