Why on earth is the internet axe-jobbing Alcantara?

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/9/15587364/microsoft-surface-laptop-alcantara-fabric-cleaning

^That article's comment section is representative of dozens of pages around the web, with people moaning and complaining about the stupidity of Microsoft in choosing the fabric finish on the Surface Laptop. With at least tens of thousands of Surface Type Covers floating around for the past year or two with little issue, how is this theme alive?

Or is my immaculate type cover that far from the norm...

shryx86

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Some people are just dirty. I've seen a lot of people eating greasy pizza with their hands while using their phone or laptop. I'm like you. I tend to make sure my hands are clean before I use electronics.

OluSegs

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Because the internet is full of bitter trolls everywhere who like to take down things they haven't tried themselves just so that they can look smart...especially if the product is a Microsoft product.

They kept laughing at the Surface Pros when they came out...it's now a billion dollar product.

Not worth the attention.

AndreAC_920

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Those guys who never tried the Surface Type cover or the touch cover on previous Surface Product.
Or its just bad faith and trying to make MS look bad

OluSegs

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, because the internet is filled with bitter trolls who like to shoot down everything new they haven't tried just to appear cool or different...especially if the product in question is a Microsoft one.

And yes, like shryx86 said above, also because some people are careless slobs. I never have any protection for my phones for example, and the latest one I'm using is still looking almost flawless after almost 6 months...yet I keep seeing people with shattered screens and badly beaten phones everywhere, despite all the protectors they put on them. Not everyone treats their fragile stuff carelessly.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Its totes weird how people seek out things they aren't going to buy, or use, and comment on them. Some kinda insecurity most likely.

Octagon31415

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I guess not everybody has a car or just headphones with Alcantra. It is possible to clean it if necessary.

I have a normal keyboard and clean it upside down with a cloth rising each edge a bit. A lot fells out on the table. The fabric finish is genius.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
No idea why they would do that. But the alcantara finish is quite revolutionary in my opinion. I have an 8 year old laptop where the plastic silver finish got rubbed off after years of usage revealing a black underlying surface, makes my laptop look really cheap and ugly. But the alcantara fabric is a better idea as the fibres will serve better as a buffer between the body of the laptop and the friction of the wrists

Blake Seaman

May 10, 2014
Visit site
"quite revolutionary"

Honestly I'd have to agree. It may be subtle, but damned if it's not unique and a joy to use. People have been wrapping their electronics in leather folios for the better part of a decade now, I think the aesthetic jump to using it in the design from ground up is, to quote Octagon31415 up there, genius. I love the contrast of the industrial magnesium finish of the surface to the Alcantara.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Some people are just dirty. I've seen a lot of people eating greasy pizza with their hands while using their phone or laptop. I'm like you. I tend to make sure my hands are clean before I use electronics.

hey shryx86, i totally agree. if someone is spending so much money on a computer then snacks while using it, he/she really must think its actually chump change and not care about spills and stains. its definitely not worth the cost of a repair or a new computer because of a problem stemming from a few dollars spent on a meal or snack.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Two words - click bait.
You know these websites exist through cut/paste from others. There is no thought process in this.

... !!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey blake, i think its because people think "fabric" is brittle and dirt-prone, whereas plastic and metal has the "strength" image. furthermore, its never been done in a laptop. however, people forget that EVERYTHING GETS DIRTY if its not taken care of, and if microsoft didnt feel confident in using it in the laptop then they shouldve discontinued production of the alcantara type cover for the surface pro. yes its fabric, but its not like the fabric is cotton or something brittle.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It has been used in cars for the last 20 years so it has to be pretty durable.

hey grant, tbh i am not a car person so ive never heard of alcantara until the surface pro 4 type covers came out but if its held up very well in cars i can see why microsoft would want to use it in their products and keep using it. the one difference being in the car people dont touch the fabric with their bare body as opposed to the type cover which is constantly touched by the users' palms. in that case, i wonder if microsoft added some extra protection?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
"quite revolutionary"

Honestly I'd have to agree. It may be subtle, but damned if it's not unique and a joy to use. People have been wrapping their electronics in leather folios for the better part of a decade now, I think the aesthetic jump to using it in the design from ground up is, to quote Octagon31415 up there, genius. I love the contrast of the industrial magnesium finish of the surface to the Alcantara.

its a real design revolution. i would have never guessed my future laptop would have fabric covering part of the top part of the base but here we are today. i remember the first time i saw the surface laptop leak on twitter i fell in love, partly because that alcantara fabric is covering the top which makes it unique from the competition.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
No idea why they would do that. But the alcantara finish is quite revolutionary in my opinion. I have an 8 year old laptop where the plastic silver finish got rubbed off after years of usage revealing a black underlying surface, makes my laptop look really cheap and ugly. But the alcantara fabric is a better idea as the fibres will serve better as a buffer between the body of the laptop and the friction of the wrists

hey kashgohel. my older macbook pro from 2006 started to get marks where the palm rests where and it was rather ugly to look at. fabric is an interesting design choice and although i can see concern for a fabric replacing metal or plastic, people who do know about alcantara seem to praise it. i dont have access to alcantara so im curious: what does it feel like? is it stiff? cushiony? do the fibers get itchy?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb