Dell’s Cyber Monday in Julysaves you up to 50%!
06-12-2017 01:50 AM
29 12
tools
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/9/15...abric-cleaning

^That article's comment section is representative of dozens of pages around the web, with people moaning and complaining about the stupidity of Microsoft in choosing the fabric finish on the Surface Laptop. With at least tens of thousands of Surface Type Covers floating around for the past year or two with little issue, how is this theme alive?

Or is my immaculate type cover that far from the norm...
    05-09-2017 12:52 PM
    Some people are just dirty. I've seen a lot of people eating greasy pizza with their hands while using their phone or laptop. I'm like you. I tend to make sure my hands are clean before I use electronics.
    05-12-2017 08:59 AM
    Because the internet is full of bitter trolls everywhere who like to take down things they haven't tried themselves just so that they can look smart...especially if the product is a Microsoft product.

They kept laughing at the Surface Pros when they came out...it's now a billion dollar product.

Not worth the attention.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    05-12-2017 09:03 AM
    Those guys who never tried the Surface Type cover or the touch cover on previous Surface Product.
    Or its just bad faith and trying to make MS look bad
    05-12-2017 09:31 AM
    Well, because the internet is filled with bitter trolls who like to shoot down everything new they haven't tried just to appear cool or different...especially if the product in question is a Microsoft one.

And yes, like shryx86 said above, also because some people are careless slobs. I never have any protection for my phones for example, and the latest one I'm using is still looking almost flawless after almost 6 months...yet I keep seeing people with shattered screens and badly beaten phones everywhere, despite all the protectors they put on them. Not everyone treats their fragile stuff carelessly.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    05-12-2017 09:35 AM
    Stanley steamer is going to get a lot more business....
    05-12-2017 09:18 PM
    Its totes weird how people seek out things they aren't going to buy, or use, and comment on them. Some kinda insecurity most likely.
    05-13-2017 01:26 AM
    I guess not everybody has a car or just headphones with Alcantra. It is possible to clean it if necessary.

I have a normal keyboard and clean it upside down with a cloth rising each edge a bit. A lot fells out on the table. The fabric finish is genius.
    05-13-2017 02:22 AM
    No idea why they would do that. But the alcantara finish is quite revolutionary in my opinion. I have an 8 year old laptop where the plastic silver finish got rubbed off after years of usage revealing a black underlying surface, makes my laptop look really cheap and ugly. But the alcantara fabric is a better idea as the fibres will serve better as a buffer between the body of the laptop and the friction of the wrists
    05-13-2017 02:39 AM
    Car seats have had alcantara for more than 20 years. It has not done them any harm and it is hard wearing.
    05-13-2017 02:42 AM
    I have sweaty hands like most of the times. So im kinda worried about this. Plus i live in a tropical country
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-13-2017 02:59 AM
    "quite revolutionary"

Honestly I'd have to agree. It may be subtle, but damned if it's not unique and a joy to use. People have been wrapping their electronics in leather folios for the better part of a decade now, I think the aesthetic jump to using it in the design from ground up is, to quote Octagon31415 up there, genius. I love the contrast of the industrial magnesium finish of the surface to the Alcantara.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-13-2017 03:07 PM
    I don't know why either. People love their leather in cars but heaven forbid you put it on a laptop! I'm super excited for this laptop it is going to melt eyes.
    05-13-2017 03:10 PM
    It has been used in cars for the last 20 years so it has to be pretty durable.
    06-01-2017 01:38 AM
    Some people are just dirty. I've seen a lot of people eating greasy pizza with their hands while using their phone or laptop. I'm like you. I tend to make sure my hands are clean before I use electronics.
    hey shryx86, i totally agree. if someone is spending so much money on a computer then snacks while using it, he/she really must think its actually chump change and not care about spills and stains. its definitely not worth the cost of a repair or a new computer because of a problem stemming from a few dollars spent on a meal or snack.
    06-01-2017 01:51 AM
    Two words - click bait.
    You know these websites exist through cut/paste from others. There is no thought process in this.

... !!
    06-01-2017 01:54 AM
    hey blake, i think its because people think "fabric" is brittle and dirt-prone, whereas plastic and metal has the "strength" image. furthermore, its never been done in a laptop. however, people forget that EVERYTHING GETS DIRTY if its not taken care of, and if microsoft didnt feel confident in using it in the laptop then they shouldve discontinued production of the alcantara type cover for the surface pro. yes its fabric, but its not like the fabric is cotton or something brittle.
    06-01-2017 01:59 AM
    It has been used in cars for the last 20 years so it has to be pretty durable.
    hey grant, tbh i am not a car person so ive never heard of alcantara until the surface pro 4 type covers came out but if its held up very well in cars i can see why microsoft would want to use it in their products and keep using it. the one difference being in the car people dont touch the fabric with their bare body as opposed to the type cover which is constantly touched by the users' palms. in that case, i wonder if microsoft added some extra protection?
    06-01-2017 02:02 AM
    "quite revolutionary"

Honestly I'd have to agree. It may be subtle, but damned if it's not unique and a joy to use. People have been wrapping their electronics in leather folios for the better part of a decade now, I think the aesthetic jump to using it in the design from ground up is, to quote Octagon31415 up there, genius. I love the contrast of the industrial magnesium finish of the surface to the Alcantara.
    its a real design revolution. i would have never guessed my future laptop would have fabric covering part of the top part of the base but here we are today. i remember the first time i saw the surface laptop leak on twitter i fell in love, partly because that alcantara fabric is covering the top which makes it unique from the competition.
    06-01-2017 02:09 AM
    No idea why they would do that. But the alcantara finish is quite revolutionary in my opinion. I have an 8 year old laptop where the plastic silver finish got rubbed off after years of usage revealing a black underlying surface, makes my laptop look really cheap and ugly. But the alcantara fabric is a better idea as the fibres will serve better as a buffer between the body of the laptop and the friction of the wrists
    hey kashgohel. my older macbook pro from 2006 started to get marks where the palm rests where and it was rather ugly to look at. fabric is an interesting design choice and although i can see concern for a fabric replacing metal or plastic, people who do know about alcantara seem to praise it. i dont have access to alcantara so im curious: what does it feel like? is it stiff? cushiony? do the fibers get itchy?
    06-01-2017 02:13 AM
    I guess not everybody has a car or just headphones with Alcantra. It is possible to clean it if necessary.

I have a normal keyboard and clean it upside down with a cloth rising each edge a bit. A lot fells out on the table. The fabric finish is genius.
    hey octagon31415, im one of those people. ive never touched the fabric unless ive rode a rental car that had it and wasnt aware, but im curious to see what it feels like. compared to some people ive seen using laptops/computers, im a relatively clean person so id clean it periodically. it takes all of what, a few minutes to do? nothing major to complain about and its for the better.
    Rainar Angelo likes this.
    06-01-2017 02:17 AM
    I personally think Alcantara is quite awesome, It seems to be something that tries to blur the line between technology and more conventional products like fashion , something that is a move all over the tech industry right now(that google smart jacket for example). It also seems to be something that microsoft wants to use as a stable for the surface line now ,but that being said , it isnt the best innovation theyve come up with , even if it does set surface products apart
    06-01-2017 06:32 AM
    I've seen plenty of Macbooks (pros) with colour/metal fading where the palms rest during typing. In my opinion, that's far worse, because it's not something that can be fixed with a little water and soap. Why isn't the internet going nuts over this?
    06-01-2017 12:38 PM
    It's common logic to not mistreat your laptop by eating or drinking near it, ESPECIALLY if it's a SURFACE. If I have to watch movies and stuff I keep my laptop mounted and sit at a distance and enjoy my meal. The internet loves to hate after all...
    06-01-2017 01:40 PM
    people fear what is new. if it was for the surface pro it wouldn't be that big a deal because in people's mindset it's "i can always get another one". because it's on the surface laptop, fears are being manifested as negativity.
    Last edited by Keeptechcoolandsimple; 06-01-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    06-01-2017 02:11 PM
29 12