Surface GIVEAWAY contestants gather here

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul_zn

May 12, 2017
Visit site
My wife would love this with the burgundy version, and when she's not using it, I can use it too when I needed the uncompromised lapability that my SP4 cannot offer. This would complete our digital lifestyle! Want it. Want it. Want it!

Man0fSteel

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I can give some feedback on this: I've had the lower end surfaces since launch, and have hesitated upgrading to the Pro line because when I'm working I really need that solid keyboard experience.

The book is too expensive and over specced for what I'd use it for; and the Surface Pro 4 would be great, but worse battery life and that damn flimsy keyboard (yes, much better in latest iteration, but still not for me).

So the surface laptop is for those of us that like a traditional laptop, and want to experience the best of Windows 10 in a "traditional" format.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
MS/Panos seem like they're winging it on their mobile hardware releases, like this stuff isn't planned in advance. If it was, I'd think the Surface Pro tablet would be the core/base unit they'd produce, and then the 'Surface Book' would just be the hardcore laptop-style base, with the extra battery and GPU in it, to attach the Surface Pro tablet to, and the 'Surface Laptop' would just be a basic laptop-style base for it, lighter and thinner with no battery or GPU, while still allowing the detaching of the Surface Pro for tablet usage. The Type Cover keyboard would still be available for ultra-portability.

It seems weird to have them as three separate products, competing with themselves, when they could all be modules allowing for customization on a whim.

Pete Stensones

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I still love my original Surface RT, but not being able to upgrade to Win 10 makes me a little sad. Now a lovely modern Surface 3 with all that x86 desktop and Windows 10 goodness; what's not to love!

brentgee

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Most people anymore only need to check email, write a letter, manage their budget, access music and photos, search for information, and do it all safely from malware. Windows 10S will help with that by locking down Windows for the regular user in somewhat of a sandbox mode.

I know that at home I no longer need a computer where I want to tweak every setting. I just want to connect and do what I need to do.

The only real concern with the Surface Laptop is the cost. It still is a premium price to be able to do those things. I'm hoping that various partners start coming out with devices that mimic the SL, but at a lower cost.

Marcellus1

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I was able to stop and play with one of these for a couple of minutes at my local Microsoft Store the other day. I wasn't sure what to think when it was announced, but I was very impressed having it in hand. It looked and felt very nice!

NoFlames2

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm actually a former Surface RT user, and would welcome the benefits that Windows S provides such as better security and extended battery life. Less fan on time is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb