05-24-2017 01:34 AM
28 12
tools
    What do you think guys?
    05-12-2017 10:57 AM
    For educators...maybe. I don't think it was the right laptop to pair with windows 10 s. I think schools are the big purchasers of windows 10 s especially k-12. Who want cheap laptops that are work horses. But I feel like the Surface laptop is more for college student who are going to want full windows 10.
    05-12-2017 02:01 PM
    Yes, if only for the education market at least. Chromebooks are taking over completely, and they have a way to provide a competitor as "Edgebooks" plus the app ecosystem. It's also much cheaper than Apple's.
    05-12-2017 02:12 PM
    As a computer science student that thing is pretty much cancer, I'm not buying a 999$ laptop for having a limited OS with it.
    But if you only use Word and other apps it should be good.

But I think that launching W10s with a premium product is a big mistake.
    rdubmu likes this.
    05-12-2017 02:29 PM
    The Surface brand has always been Microsoft setting an example for it's hardware partners. In the case of the Surface Laptop, they created a device aimed at university students to set an example for their hardware partners to follow in order to get low-cost Windows 10 S devices into schools everywhere. The Surface Laptop itself isn't designed to sell a million units, it's designed to give hp, lenovo, dell, etc. a model to use so that they can sell a million units.
    05-15-2017 10:34 PM
    hey there. if it means a more secure windows os and better battery life, i would like windows 10 s to be the future. however, the reality is the company making the one application i need for work will not at the moment make a windows store version of the application so i have no choice but to upgrade to windows 10 pro.
    Last edited by k1s23; 05-24-2017 at 01:16 AM.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    05-16-2017 08:03 AM
    Surface Laptop is much better paired with W 10Pro, W 10S will be relegated to cheap notebook models I think
    05-16-2017 11:02 AM
    I think this will be another MS initiative that gains insufficient traction to really make it significant. Like the others it will be half-heartedly supported then wither away.
    05-17-2017 04:30 AM
    Actually tested 13+ hour battery life running windows s?

Well I wouldn't say its the future, but its certainly current. That's best in class.

Windows s, however is not the future, its a niche OS that suits some people and not others. You want Netflix, browser, email, and some office work, its got you covered.

Actually that will fine for a lot of people. (Although to be fair, you don't really need 8gb of memory and an i5-7 processor to do any of those things, doesn't hurt but...)

You wanna do hardcore gaming, use adobe, program, write music, make databases for oracle - not yet. Store has to grow and it will.

Really the biggest obstacle will be gaming. MS has to sort that out with the game stores, find a way to bring them into the fold.

UWP generally is the future though.
    05-17-2017 04:49 AM
    Not for the mainstream market. For educators it does have potential, but not in first world countries. If the price is right and Mark Zuckerberg type initiatives to get ubiquitous internet access to people who don't have it comes to fruition sooner than later, I could see products like these kicking off.
    05-17-2017 05:33 AM
    Is windows 10S available for download and install on older Surface 3 devices? I am thinking it would be great to extend battery life!
    Drael646464 and ajcletus500 like this.
    05-17-2017 10:27 AM
    I really think they should make every app available from the store, so Windows for the public in general is more secure. No more softonic or anything that fills your device with adds, changes your browser defaults, etc. Like in Windows Phone, the big problem is the "app gap". If every exe was uploaded to the store (as UWP apps), you wouldn't need Windows Pro, at least for normal usage.
    ajcletus500 likes this.
    05-17-2017 12:24 PM
    Uploading apps to the Store is not free and apps that don't really make money from their apps are gonna be the biggest losers here. there are tons of apps out there that are not making money and are free to download. So probably windows 10S may not be the future.
    05-20-2017 02:43 AM
    Uploading apps to the Store is not free and apps that don't really make money from their apps are gonna be the biggest losers here. there are tons of apps out there that are not making money and are free to download. So probably windows 10S may not be the future.
    It is "free" to upload apps to the store. As a developer, you pay a 1 time $20 fee to register and after that, it costs nothing (as long as you are an active developer.. I.E. releasing new apps or updating existing apps... So, Starbucks, for example, they've paid the 1 time fee (or maybe MS made an exception) and will never have to pay to submit updates to the store... as long as they do continue to update the app.

As a developer, I'd like to see W10S be successful and get people more used to getting apps from the store. The more users hitting the store, the more downloads devs like myself see.

Side note: I consider myself a developer... but I'm more of a hobbyist dev. with about 8 apps in the store. Believe me, I'd LOVE to start getting enough income from app sales/ads in apps to quit my day job and develop full time. I've been debating branching to iOS/Android, but right now I have too many time constraints. I dabbled with iOS a while back, but they truly rape devs like myself. $100 per year + 30% off all app sales (vs MS $20 one time fee and 30% off the top) and you have to keep up with over priced dev devices that seem to become unsupported faster than I can keep up (granted it's easy to keep up with an eco system you like and use anyway) and have to have a mac to submit your apps. I was paying $107 a year and making around $120 a year. When it came time that I needed a new developer device and to upgrade the Mac I was using, the choice to quit developing for iOS was rather easy... Android is more on par with MS (1 time fee and 30% from app sales) BUT I'd need to get a dev device and either a separate machine for coding or face the nightmare of constantly enabling/disabling Hyper V when I want to jump between android and MS emulators.
    05-20-2017 03:33 AM
    I think its the future for regular users (as myself) as well, all we need is a secure work machine, and since the store can provide than + there's a bridge I do believe it will become a mainstream os at some point..
    05-20-2017 09:54 AM
    I don't know if it's the future quite yet - we'll see how viable of a future it is after it's been in the real world. It could very well be.
    But right now, I feel as if it's positioned to serve more as a gateway to full windows to the generation of people whose primary "computer" experience might be the mobile Android/Apple devices. Hence, the easy option to unlock the pro version.
    05-20-2017 10:07 AM
    Windows 10 S is eventually what Microsoft wants Windows 10 to look like. They want to get rid of old Win32 apps and bring them all to the Store and make transition from simple Centennial apps to full UWP apps, though I believe there are still some APIs needed to make them as powerful as Win32 apps. Once they have that, Win32 emulation for ARM processors won't be required anymore, and they would be able to run the apps on arm as well as on the x64/x86 processors which they already do now with full Universal apps. The problem is, as it was already described in an article on this very site, that the apps are now mostly "mobile-style" with limited functionalities if you use them on a PC, and they want them to be right the opposite.
    05-20-2017 10:20 AM
    Like many others here I do think there is a future for Windows 10 S. However I would not want it on my pc. I think Windows 10 S is great for normal people who only use there pc for browsing and office. They can easily maintain there pc because deleting apps is quite easy and installing them as well trough the store. But as a developer and nerd I wouldn't want to sacrifice my freedom on my pc for a secure OS. I want to be able to run all application including legacy ones that will never come to the store. What if I wanted to play an old game that isn't available on the store? I hope there will always be a way to unlock your pc to a full Windows in the future for a non-premium price even though it might not be the default setting. I do however think Windows 10 s should be the default OS. Because I am certain many normal people will benefit from it.
    05-23-2017 02:54 PM
    While having a full Windows 10 would be nice for education and full productivity, there are many devices being used to consume contents and media. I just finished college with CS degree, so having IDEs and other things not from the store was needed, but now that I have a full desktop and since I am out of school, I kind of want the security of Windows 10 S. I wonder if there is an option to go back and forth the S and non-S mode if you have the full Windows 10. (Maybe there is an option to disable 3rd party apps already that I'm not aware of?)
    05-23-2017 03:42 PM
    Surface laptop introduction to the surface phone
    05-23-2017 04:33 PM
    I actually love the idea of devices running W10S in schools. When my mom was a teacher, apple was flooding classrooms with Aplle IIe and later Mac SE devices. While good, they stuck around for like 10 years and I was often being asked by her or her peers to come clean up the junk software installed
    My wife has the same issue with the 12-year-old expee computers in her classroom. Every summer I - and now my son - comes in, updates her virus definitions and deletes crap installed.

With Win10S, this cycle wouldn't have to happen.

Sent from mTalk
    05-23-2017 05:13 PM
    i would say windows 10s is only meant for students not hardcore gamers this is to just educate not to always have fun
    05-23-2017 05:55 PM
    I don't think so. the future belongs to AI. Surface, in a short time, even cannot replace the computer/laptop.for MS, they should pay more attention to creation of product. not "update".
    05-23-2017 11:26 PM
    I would like to see Windows S on a smartphone (or PC phone).
    05-23-2017 11:30 PM
    This is not a question.
    Because I think Microsoft don't care about the Surface Laptop sales.
    They build this Surface Laptop with Windows 10S just to set a role model or example for OEM to follow and to beat Chromebooks.
    05-24-2017 12:48 AM
28 12