Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I read a review that said they are "built into the base under the keys." That is allows for good overall balance but sometimes when you type the sound get's muffled.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the speakers are built beneath the keys. They needed to work on a whole new technology for that but I'm not sure how well they're going to be. Probably not bad as the Surface Team wouldn't release a product unless it's ready. More reviews should give us better idea of what those are like, the reviewers should talk about that.

Jonahtheblaze

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Well, it does not really that bad, but i always prefer a bluetooth speaker since the mood would be better. I got good one after reading some sort of stuff from here and decided to get it.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I read a review that said they are "built into the base under the keys." That is allows for good overall balance but sometimes when you type the sound get's muffled.

hey jeffrey. youre right, the speakers are built into the base under the keys. that also explains why there is alcantara fabric on the keyboard: to allow sound to come out through the fabric. i feel like they did the design this way to keep the consistency with the type cover in looks. they look very similar from above.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, it does not really that bad, but i always prefer a bluetooth speaker since the mood would be better. I got good one after reading some sort of stuff from here and decided to get it.

jonah i agree with external speakers. i enjoy cranking up music when i use the computer so external speakers (whether bluetooth or using the audio jack) are my preferred choice. im sure the speakers in the surface laptop will sound good (and interesting; never heard sound coming through exotic fabric) but in the end ill still resort to my external speakers.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Darn, my Hp has B&O speakers, so I doubt the Surface will beat them.

Hate to break it to you, but the speaker branding on laptops don't mean they're produced by that brand. They're usually merely "tuned" and mostly just for branding's sake. I've heard plenty of B&O laptop speakers that were horrible, just like plenty of JBL, Harman/Kardon and the likes. Just because a laptop doesn't have branded speakers don't mean they're bad. Just check Macbook speakers. I'm not a fan of Macbooks, but one of the things they got right were the speakers, which usually kick PC laptop speaker ***.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I hope the speakers are good, but I guess we won't hear them much. Not because of the quality, but because students are using headphones all the time anyway!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hate to break it to you, but the speaker branding on laptops don't mean they're produced by that brand. They're usually merely "tuned" and mostly just for branding's sake. I've heard plenty of B&O laptop speakers that were horrible, just like plenty of JBL, Harman/Kardon and the likes. Just because a laptop doesn't have branded speakers don't mean they're bad. Just check Macbook speakers. I'm not a fan of Macbooks, but one of the things they got right were the speakers, which usually kick PC laptop speaker ***.

gg002, great to know! i knew about collaborations with companies but i assumed the collaboration was the speaker company creates the speaker hardware for the laptop company to use. i didnt realize its just tuning. its all a deceiving marketing tactic. :shocked: i have to agree, the macbook speakers are really good and get loud. itll be interesting to see how loud the surface laptop speakers can get to.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
gg002, great to know! i knew about collaborations with companies but i assumed the collaboration was the speaker company creates the speaker hardware for the laptop company to use. i didnt realize its just tuning. its all a deceiving marketing tactic. :shocked: i have to agree, the macbook speakers are really good and get loud. itll be interesting to see how loud the surface laptop speakers can get to.

I wouldn't say it's explicitly deceiving marketing tactics. After all, the audio brands do have a reputation to uphold. But unfortunately, for me, some audio brands have tarnished after lending their names to PC makers who did a horrible job with the speakers, which has surprised me during the years. It's only quite recently that I've started noticing the audio brands actually have started meeting the expectations of good laptop speakers, so I guess they figured they can no longer lend their brands left and right without actually checking the quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro