How does one use the Surface Pen on the Surface Laptop?

Christopher_He

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
It's intended for quick notes, like writing a few words, highlighting stuff in a pdf and so on. And i guess, though it's not optimal for the pen usage it should be no problem. For example I don't detach my surface book for those kind of things aswell, because the detaching would be even more inconvenient.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok seriously, think about the students. Think about their use case scenario. Everyone is assuming you're going to be drawing on these things for hours on hours long. That is not the case. Being one of the first users of the TablePC form, dating back to the swivel screens, I would predominately type my notes. OCCASIONALLY I had to draw some diagrams and what not. That's what the point of the optional pen input is, for the times you need a quick diagram or drawing put right into the notes you're typing (assuming you're using the awesome OneNote).

sod1497

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I really like using the Surface Pen just as a mouse. It's fast and lets me take screenshots easily, edit them and easily share them. All my notes are in PDF or OneNote and with Drawboard been able to draw on the Surface Laptop just brings it to another level. Maybe it's not so confortable as a Surface tablet but in a lot of scenarios I use the Pen with the Surface in "laptop mode" and it's just fine. I'm really glad its a touchscreen with pen, I really miss it when i switch to my laptop.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Super awkward. I've tried it many times on my Thinkpads, and it is just a terrible way to use the pen in just about ANY situation. I always ended up folding it down flat into a slate

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
How to use the pen? Only when you really, really need it. Which means it wont be there because you quit carrying it, lol.

Patricks_Acct

May 17, 2017
Visit site
As a university student, I found that using the Drawboard PDF editing app was perfect when I wanted to annotate a pdf that the professor was reviewing. Wish I could use the surface at work (accounting) where I could annotate source documents, make review notes in excel, and send memos that were written down by clicking the eraser of the pen.

Chris Stevens1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
To: Octagon31415

Quote "On a laptop inking is for occasional use to mark or sketch something simple quickly. Why use touch on a laptop? It is equally inconvenient, but occasionally useful. And pen is less greasy than fingers."

You are entitled to your opinion. I suspect that you are describing your use work flow, but there are others. The surface laptop is every bit as capable of doing the pen based creative work you can do on an Surface Pro or Surface book, but in a much less elegant way. (Actually much more clumsy.)

There is nothing wrong with a multi use product. Many people use laptops in place of desktops. I think MS missed the boat by not making this more pen friendly, even if this is not the primary use scenario. (From using AutoCAD for years, I also think the Surface Pro keyboards should connect via wifi when detached.0

Chris Stevens1

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
The unorthodox method of a pen on the Surface Laptop that kashgohel described (see below) looks to be workable.

The question of how one would use a pen on the Surface Laptop, makes me wonder what would one use a pen on the Surface Laptop for? After due consideration, I think that I would use a pen on Surface Laptop to fill out a return authorization for fro said Surface Laptop, then to fill out a order fro a 2 in one device suited fro pen use. I know I would be sacrificing the function follows form and "cool and Apple competitive" for a form follows function device that will be more efficient for pen use.

I think MS really missed the boat by not developing an elegant aspiration device the at could be a laptop with truly usable pen capabilities.

I use AutoCAD. A slate/tablet pen computer would be great. A keyboard is also needed, built an attached keyboard is in the way. A surface pro keyboard with wifi or even USB connector would be great. The surface Pro 1 had a wifi keyboard adaptor that was ridiculously over priced, but better than nothing.

From kashgohel's original post:
Quote:
1. Go to desktop settings and rotate the screen 180 degrees.
2. Open the laptop fully, and instead of setting the base on the table, set the screen flat on the table surface.
3. Prop up the base with a pile of heavy books, taking care not to block any heat vents
4. Use as a touch screen like normal, and if you need added functionality you can add a wireless mouse or wireless keyboard.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
There is ZERO reason for it to support inking as you can't do it comfortably.

It's just awkward to use the pen on the Surface Pro while the keyboard is attached, it's just in the way.

And the laptop doesn't have a way to lie flat or get the keyboard out of the way.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Like every other Surface device, the Surface Laptop comes with a pen. However, I think it would be really awkward to see someone trying to take down stuff on a Surface Laptop. Weird? Probably. Doesn't this minimize the utility of the Pen?

This Surface Laptop is the first Surface-branded device on which the pen and touch experience is nothing but a half-assed gimmick, as it can't be converted to a Tablet form-factor to make full and continuous use of them. When you try using it for a continuous pen and touch experience, a touchscreen laptop makes your arms fatigue and has terrible ergonomics compared to the tablet form-factor offered by devices like the Surface Pro/Book. Either that, or you just go ahead making yourself look idiotic by having the base of your laptop tilted up while the monitor lays on the table.

Your only practical use of pen/touch on the Laptop form-factor is for occasional quick shortcuts/gestures, which is a joke compared to the full pen and touch experience you get from other Surface devices. Seriously, try doing this or this on a Laptop form-factor...

If you're thinking of buying the Surface Laptop, simply go for the Surface Pro 4 and grab yourself this keyboard attachment that makes it appear like a traditional Laptop. The Surface Laptop is an overpriced joke compared to even the Surface Pro 4.

Last edited:

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The surface laptop is in an odd place. I'm surprised that it still comes with the pen. I hope it still has accelerometers and you can put the laptop upside down or lie the screen flat. It's a really clunky solution though.

The regular surfaces kind of made the best of both worlds with their detachable screens. Thing is, I still prefer a proper laptop with a stiff hinge, most of the time because the kick stand, while fine on a desk, it sucks to use on your lap or in odd places. The surface book appears to kind of address this, but it's still a rather bulky solution.

I'd say that no one has really figured out a great solution to make the perfect convertible/2-in-1. The 360 hinge is probably the closest but even then, lying on the keyboard just seems weird.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
The surface laptop is in an odd place. I'm surprised that it still comes with the pen. I hope it still has accelerometers and you can put the laptop upside down or lie the screen flat. It's a really clunky solution though.

The Surface Laptop does NOT come with a pen:

Surface Laptop is an Overpriced Joke (Does NOT Come With Pen).png

Only sensor you're getting is a light sensor:

Surface Laptop is an Overpriced Joke (Lacking Sensors).png

Again, if you're thinking of buying the Surface Laptop, simply go for the Surface Pro 4 and grab yourself this keyboard attachment that makes it appear and function like a traditional Laptop. The Surface Laptop is an overpriced joke compared to the Surface Pro 4.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Ah ok, other people in this thread said it did come with the pen. Also sucks that it is missing so many sensors. I wonder if it even has a GPS?

It's surprising because you'd think that MS would want to have a baseline config to allow different apps in. It's strange that they've done this, but I suppose it's also strange that there's no USB type c either.

MrElectrifyer

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Ah ok, other people in this thread said it did come with the pen. Also sucks that it is missing so many sensors. I wonder if it even has a GPS?

It's surprising because you'd think that MS would want to have a baseline config to allow different apps in. It's strange that they've done this, but I suppose it's also strange that there's no USB type c either.

Yeah, it's lacking so much and is already outdated in 2017...

http://forums.windowscentral.com/su...iced-device-surface-branding.html#post3659719

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Speaking as an architecture student and artist who has to use unorthodox techniques to get work done, the solution I use is :

2. Open the laptop fully, and instead of setting the base on the table, set the screen flat on the table surface.
3. Prop up the base with a pile of heavy books, taking care not to block any heat vents
4. Use as a touch screen like normal, and if you need added functionality you can add a wireless mouse or wireless keyboard.

While this looks slightly cumbersome to set up, it works wonders for artists who sit at the touchscreen for long hours.

Hope it works for you! :)

LOL.... Love it!

pepe68

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Speaking as an architecture student and artist who has to use unorthodox techniques to get work done, the solution I use is :

While this looks slightly cumbersome to set up, it works wonders for artists who sit at the touchscreen for long hours.

Hope it works for you! :)

Wow, that's pretty cool idea!

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire