Will Windows 10 S only allow a direct upgrade to Pro?

Keegan Boldt

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I know that Windows 10 S will give you the option to upgrade to pro, but if I were to get the Surface Laptop, would I be able to upgrade to Home?

Octagon31415

May 13, 2017
Visit site
As soon as you get Pro you will get the license linked to your Microsoft account and it should allow you to activate Home, provided nothing changes.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Isnt the pro edition more costly than the home version? Might be a valid reason for asking for home version as a measure of cost cutting.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Isnt the pro edition more costly than the home version? Might be a valid reason for asking for home version as a measure of cost cutting.

Yeah but the upgrade to pro on windows s, is free for 2017, free for students eternally, and 49 USD for everyone else after that. Its a lot cheaper than say, buying windows home or pro, and installing it, its basically a discounted rate.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
It is but you won't pay the full price of Pro version to upgrade the system to Pro - I think they mentioned 50$, but the upgrade offer is going to be free for some time anyways. Pro has more functions than home and one of the reasons for that they only made Pro available is because students often need to connect to certain domain to do their work for school, they can't do that on home version to my knowledge.

David Jacka

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
So if your school decides that Windows 10 S is a requirement to join the domain and you've updated to Pro is there a way to take it back to S again and if you can and you then want to go back up to Pro is it still free?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
So if your school decides that Windows 10 S is a requirement to join the domain and you've updated to Pro is there a way to take it back to S again and if you can and you then want to go back up to Pro is it still free?

If I had to guess, yeah that should be possible. MS said it was free for schools to switch from existing licenses to S. So there must be some kind of path. And once you have a digital license for a machine, its attached to your account in the cloud. Can't say for sure though on the first part.

davidhk129

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site

NO. The "switch" is one way. You can not switch back to S edition.

Windows 10 S FAQ :
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-s-faq

excerpt
How do I switch to Windows 10 Pro on my Windows 10 S PC?

You can switch to Windows 10 Pro easily at any time through the Windows Store for an affordable price; payment is collected through the Windows Store.

To learn more or switch to Windows 10 Pro, go to the Windows Store, search for Windows 10 Pro.

Note

Switching to Pro is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 S.

Keegan Boldt

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Woah, I didn't know this post would go a long way. I have Pro and it is obviously better than Home, it was just a small random question. Also, I just checked the feature list and besides not being able to win32 apps, S actually has a lot of the Pro features like Hyper-V. Besides Win32, the only extra advantage of Pro is Domain Joining. Home would actually be a downgrade from S so I guess it wouldn't make sense. If you want to see the feature list search "Windows Pro" in the Windows Store and there should be an upgrade screen comparing the features of the three editions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)