Keep Windows 10 S as a Mac OS killer?

LumiaInspire

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Hey community,
i was wondering how many people will keep Windows 10 S on their Surface Laptops instead of using the chance for a free Windows 10 Pro Upgrade. I mean, Windows 10 S seems to me like a Mac-OS killer, because many people I know use a Mac because of security and Performance. I am not really sure what I would do. Having a very secure OS and getting the best performance out of a new PC sounds really really great to me, on the other side I enjoy using desktop software (e.g. GIMP) which is not available in the Windows Store. Also I didn't catch a virus on Windows 10 (Pro) for the last three or more years. What would be your decision? Keep Windows 10 S or upgrade to Pro? Why'd you do so? Best regards

Bastian

ThrakathCZ

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
MacOS have completly different feel... its like piloting a new fighter, all new, different, interesting... old Windows can feel boring after all these years... MacBook.. it is like You find an UFO :)

But it have much disadvantages also...

I am glad that Microsoft did their own laptop, but apps limited to only Store ? that will not work anytime soon....

Octagon31415

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I guess I will try to keep Windows S for as long as possible. Taking into account other devices I have, I guess the chances that I will keep S indefinitely are about 70%. I can see a Windows 10 S device as a replacement to my Android tablet.

Windows 10 S is not a Mac OS killer. With Visual Studio, Linux subsystem, and lots of 3d party apps it can be.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think Mac OS is going away anytime soon. Unless Apple keeps releasing products that don't work well with others. Since Microsoft decided to start playing nice with everyone their profits have soared. Apple is slowly backing itself into a corner with all their fanboys and dongles and will soon have to figure something else out.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think Mac OS is going away anytime soon. Unless Apple keeps releasing products that don't work well with others. Since Microsoft decided to start playing nice with everyone their profits have soared. Apple is slowly backing itself into a corner with all their fanboys and dongles and will soon have to figure something else out.

I actually don't see Apple doing anything like that.

I do wonder how Google and Apple will react to things like timeline, cloud clipboard, files on demand etc. It makes windows the superior proposition for a great many users, that windows "loves all your devices".

I wondered actually if apple might modify its app store policy to ban the relevant apps (which would drive at least some consumers away).

Apple has been backing itself into a corner for awhile now. IoT will not be a incompatibility tolerant marketspace. Increasingly, this is the modern consumer frustration, finding "what works with what". And plenty of people with iphones are not "all in with apple".

Just watching my apple fan friends try and access a certain file type, or move files between devices is sort of a funny show :p (Quite often they actually need a windows PC as an intermediary AND third party apps)

chain13

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I also feel the same. I thought that modern (UWP) app is the future of Microsoft. So, keep the S makes it feel that pushing developers into the store is the best way. Since there are so many UWP apps that has smooth scrolling, better GUI, etc etc than win32 apps. Hope there will be many developers can take advantage of UWP based features for their apps/softwares.

LumiaInspire

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I hope that too. But who should put free Open Source Software onto the Store. In my opinion, Microsoft should stop all developers to pay money for a dev Account. Keeping a part of sold Apps is okay, but for Free-App-Devs or Open Source Software Microsoft could cut the fee. I think that would be an attraction for many developers out there.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey there. i really want to keep windows 10 s in the surface laptop when i buy it, but there are 2 win32 applications that i really need for work that sadly aren't offered in the windows store. sadly, my first modification will be to turn windows 10 s into windows 10 pro.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Windows 10 S is not on the same level as Mac OS X, as the latter is a full operating system like Windows 10 Pro.
It's more akin to being a Chrome OS killer for sure though.

I am not sure on the specifics of the closed-wall system of W10S, but I am almost certain Mac OS X is still more secure. A Unix-based operating system that has been refined for 16 years longer than W10.

While W10 is an immeasurable improvement over older Windows, the basic foundation has not changed much. I mean, the registry was developed a quarter of a century ago, anyone remember Windows 3.11? Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah were two completely different operating systems, down to the core.

Having said all that, I own and use both systems on a daily basis with Windows as my favorite by far. But this comparison is apples to oranges.

An upgrade to full W10 Pro is a no brainer, in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz