Still have doubts for Alcantara's quality

Ian Mancera

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Yea we're all forced to visit this forums to ask a question for Surface Laptop in hope that we may win it sometime, but bear with me, I have a legit concerning question about Surface Laptop that I still wanna know

It's still ridiculous to me that I have to care my laptop just like an expensive car or a Louis Vuitton bag, for a price of a grand and as their target market for this, they should expect us to use this for years at maximum (especially like me that's a middle class, I don't change electronics like y'all privileged every year, and I'm also have a such sentimental value to electronics since I got them rarely) and expect that we get quality on that grand that we pay.

Here's my concern and question? Will Alcantara wears out? Things like sweat/hand marks on the palm rest, does it fluffs, like when the cotton (I know this is far from cotton but I still wanna know) gets scratches, it makes this small little dots of cotton above the cloth, or things how it repels from stains, will it get dark if your hands are sweaty, sometimes sticky or even simple things like dust, and how long will the cloth pulls of the metal frame? I know Alcantara itself is a hard enough cloth, but I'm pretty sure it will still not stand on it's own without whatever frame behind it,with all that electronics behind it, so I'm presumed it's just glued

To those that familiar with Alcantara material as a cloth, that has that Signature Alcantara Type Cover, and also familiar with it's manufacturing process, and how it could possibly engineered with Surface Laptop and those that have able to get their hands on the Surface Laptop too

I wish they just kept their magnesium alloy too, maybe a two material choices for this product, but that would cost them a lot of R&D and manufacturing and engineering costs too, maybe could costs the product to get much expensive that what it is today. I also don't like what Panos said "invitingly warm", but most people says "weirdly warm", I'm really sure I'll not like it too, that's why I suggested they should have atleast a magnesium option, maybe next year. Also given that the climate on where I am now, I don't wanna fry my laptop and reduce it's battery life charge cycle, and also could even help the cloth develop hand marks as my hands are sweaty especially in seasons like this summer. What I mean on weirdly warm btw is like if you're using a toilet, and you felt it warm when you seat on it, you knew someone just used this toilet, it's weird. I'll still prefer than cold metal feeling, gives also this much more premium psychologically temperature feeling.

I'm actually about to skip this maybe just look into it on the second iteration as I'm concerned with all these things and as I see myself Windows 10 S could be confusing & too constrained, but since as I've said I rarely have opportunity both personally and financially to get this still beautiful device, I'd rather have opportunity to win it now on contest than complain lol

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
From what I understand, no one really knows. It's still fairly new with cars and especially with electronic devices this is something different. I do know about my SP3 not alcantara but fabric. I've had it now for over 2 years and I'm a college student. I've eaten with it, drank with it, spilled liquid on it and accidentally set it on nasty leftovers on tables at lunch. Except for the times that I've had to wipe off specific sauces and liquids I've only felt like I should clean my touch cover 2 times. Both times I've used regular dish soap and a little bit of water dipped a washcloth in it and scrubbed my cover. both times it's come out flawless. I'm always surprised how well the fabric cleans and has aged with the 2 years of use. Easily see it lasting another 2 years. Alcantara is supposed to be better and more durable. Plus my touch cover is exposed to things when my surface isn't in use. The keyboard of a laptop isn't. I don't think this will be a problem at all.

anon(99259)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd be much more OK with the Alcantara top if I could replace it over time. I LOVE the feel of it much more than metal, BUT I am concerned about it's ability to stay clean and new looking. I tend to really baby my devices, but fearful of one mishap causing a lifetime stain. Something like that could hurt the resale in the future when you go to upgrade it. This doesn't stop me from wanting one, but hoping it is something MS can replace if needed.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I own the SP4 Alcantara type cover, used it for a few hours, and put it back in the box and just used my regular black type cover. I was fearing the entire time that it would get damaged cosmetically. It was just a gut feeling and I only used it for a short time, so can't fully answer that question. It's probably very durable if MS is willing to use it on the laptop.

Now, my alcantara type cover is literally hanging on a wall in my house like a painting. I couldn't return it and definitely didn't want to use it unless my black cover broke, it's aesthetically pleasing, so now its simply decor for my house. :grin:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think it should be fine as long as you don't have dirty hands or sweat a lot while using it, at least that's what tech youtuber said about the Surface Pro 4 Alcantara keyboards.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss