Will Windows 10 S help Microsoft beat Chromebooks?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Just a quick note about Office, Chromebooks can run the full Office Suite from the Office.com website -- though they do need to be online. Of course, Chromebooks that can run Android apps can run the Office apps.

Neither office online, nor the mobile apps are as fully featured as office 365.

With the incoming "files on demand", people will be able to group edit single documents(this particular component is also available to android apps), and use MS teams education features to collaborate on them and discuss them.

Windows will have the edge here. Although Chromebooks of course aren't entirely left out. Windows PC loves all your devices TM. hehe.

Rodgers Momanyi

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Will Windows 10 S help Microsoft beat Chromebooks? Yes if there is enough push to get people to use it mostly outside the US where Chrome OS has't caused a significant dent

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Even worse is that Chrome cannot be made into a UWP either because of the requirements of the Windwos Store to use EDGE HTML

It's not proper chrome on macs either, for a similar reason, but they still have a chrome browser on OSX.

Nothing stopping Google from making an HTML5/edge rendering compatible browser similar to what they did for macs. Be kinda silly if they didn't at this point, whilst their might be a risk of windows s failing (which I don't think will happen, its a niche product that suits its target well), there's also a risk of google losing customers, via not using google search.

With young people, who form habits at that age. When google search is googles main source of income via their insanely vampiric advertising costs. If I was google, I wouldn't want to take that risk. I'd be coding chrome for windows store, right now.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Even worse is that Chrome cannot be made into a UWP either because of the requirements of the Windwos Store to use EDGE HTML

Google developed a Chrome app for iOS using Apple's web rendering engine. I'm guessing they could do it here too, although at first the reward would be much lower. But if Windows 10 S grows to where they cannot ignore it, I would think it could be done.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Fair enough. I'm not aware of Google's applications for the MacBook as I personally don't own any Apple products barring a 1st Gen iPod Shuffle. Thanks for the input guys; greatly appreciated

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. i hope windows 10 s beats chrome os. im not a fan of google's services and definitely wouldnt want a whole os based on it.

sod1497

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft really needs to clean Windows. It needs to be faster, more stable, use less memory and device resources. Then low-end devices will run smooth, maybe not fast but still usable a month after you bought it.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
...I have never been a fan of the concept of Internet-dependent OSs.

The beauty of Windows 10 S though is that it is not an internet-dependent OS. It's a modified version of full Windows 10 and therefor can fully function without an internet connection. So if schools want to, they can have their IT administrators set up each W10S device with the apps that the students will be using and then the internet connection for a given device can be disabled when it is not needed. Granted, that will hardly ever occur, but it is useful to be able to work without an internet connection when you don't have access to one for whatever reason.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think one reason why MS wouldn't want Chrome in the Store is because then it could fail their promises about battery life if their comparison of Edge and Chrome when it comes to battery draining is correct.

dominicanpapi4u

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't think w10s will dethrone chrome os. Chrome OS doesn't require to much maintenance not like windows 10 or s.With w10/s you need to fix registry errors that can slow down the system overtime.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Chromebooks are the most popular computing devices in primary and secondary schools in the USA.

Yep, see this first hand. The reasons are they are cheap. $200-250 laptop. Your entry level laptop with Windows is about $400.

See sub $200 full fleged laptops (that are not complete junk) it might be able to replace the school machines.

I think WIndows 10 S should be free for anyone and on the free version have a $99 upgrade to full version. It would be in Microsoft's best interest to do that. More people using the store maybe in 20 years it will be almost up to Andoid or iOS stores...sigh..

Did Microsoft say what version it will be ? Meaning could you take a Windows 10 "S" machine and connect it to a domain ?

Darkseider

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
So long as manufacturers offer their current Chromebook hardware offerings with Windows 10S as an option then absolutely. Same priced hardware with a more familiar and accessible OS. With UWP applications and access to the Windows Store I see this trouncing Chrome OS.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10s on a Surface laptop will have a negligable effect on Chromebook use or sales. The price disparity is just way to large. That being said, if third parties start installing Windows 10s on more... economical devices and developers embrace UWP and the Windows Store then we could see some real competition.

Has anyone heard of a non-Surface Laptop device to get Win 10s?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Having had a real close look at the centennial apps and games - there is WAY more powerful software in the store, and with things like iTunes coming, plus no need for the cloud, touch support, timeline. I don't really see what chromebooks offer over these at all. There is design software, coding apps.

The choice seems like a total no brainer, windows s is as fast, as simple, as secure, and as automatically maintained, but does way more stuff.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10s on a Surface laptop will have a negligable effect on Chromebook use or sales. The price disparity is just way to large. That being said, if third parties start installing Windows 10s on more... economical devices and developers embrace UWP and the Windows Store then we could see some real competition.

Has anyone heard of a non-Surface Laptop device to get Win 10s?

There's loads. Cheapest is 189 USD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6