Will Windows 10 S help Microsoft beat Chromebooks?

spaceOpia1

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand, but even though you can't install Chrome on Windows 10 S, you can still use Google as your main search engine into Edge, right ?

BryGuyNovice2014

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I think the large consumer appeal for Chromebooks is that they are quick-smart; fast to boot up (i remember seeing once that they boot from power off to Chrome login in 8 seconds flat) and they are easy to set up as everything works in the background. Those two reasons are the primary example as to why Chromebooks are dominating the education scene. Why people shy away from Windows in those scenarios is due to how Windows is a slow starting operating system and it has to load a plethora of settings and customisations before allowing users to access the Desktop.

"People don't forget the way you make them feel" and I am very certain that philosophy applies to the consumer's past experience with a product. If their past experience of something similar to Windows 10 S was bad (ahem, Windows RT...) then it's a guarentee they wouldn't switch. UNLESS Microsoft completely dispose of the name and/or improve their marketing of Windows 10 S.

Microsoft's track record on that isn't pretty on that front.

Last edited:

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It isn't enough. They need to make Office free and super easy to collaborate, and they have to ramp up the pace of this because I know they pretty much nailed this already, but it just isn't quite there. The mindshare just isn't there. You speak to kids, they still say "Google this and that" . "Oh, go to Google docs", etc. Microsoft needs to step up their services for this to happen, and Windows needs to be solid to support this. Windows 10 is at that point where it can, but their services, their PR just isn't there. Once people start seeing Google as the evil it is, and Microsoft as the lesser evil, it might just work.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 s vs chrome book, well without internet access effective is a chrome book? Edge is a good browser I always edge. I know windows 10 s will work without internet access (ok not to install stuff or browse the web) but games, watching videos, word, groove will all work without internet (so long as the data is local) but chrome books?
Anyway for my money yes windows 10 s can beat a chrome book.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think the large consumer appeal for Chromebooks is that they are quick-smart; fast to boot up (i remember seeing once that they boot from power off to Chrome login in 8 seconds flat) and they are easy to set up as everything works in the background.

Yes, those are the things windows s was designed to match (such as boot, to app open in 15 seconds), and simple to use. They used chromeOS speed and simplicity, as a standard to match when designing s.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand, but even though you can't install Chrome on Windows 10 S, you can still use Google as your main search engine into Edge, right ?

For "default search" no. You can go to the google search website and search from there, but from the address bar it defaults to bing. However there is at least one other browser in the store, and I'm sure you can set google as default there.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft really needs to clean Windows. It needs to be faster, more stable, use less memory and device resources. Then low-end devices will run smooth, maybe not fast but still usable a month after you bought it.

There's no "PC rot" with UWP and Windows S. It's basically all those things you mentioned.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I don't think w10s will dethrone chrome os. Chrome OS doesn't require to much maintenance not like windows 10 or s.With w10/s you need to fix registry errors that can slow down the system overtime.

No, you don't. UWP apps come completely sandboxed from the registry. It experiences no PC rot.

Zachary Wilmes

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft really needs to clean Windows. It needs to be faster, more stable, use less memory and device resources. Then low-end devices will run smooth, maybe not fast but still usable a month after you bought it.
I don't think w10s will dethrone chrome os. Chrome OS doesn't require to much maintenance not like windows 10 or s.With w10/s you need to fix registry errors that can slow down the system overtime.

You see, that's precisely the benefit of Windows 10 S. Store apps only means no registry editing by apps, which is one of the leading causes of PC slowdown: Registry errors and bad file management by applications. W10S gets rid of all of that by restricting to store apps only. In fact, you could do this with a regular Windows installation: Try only installing store apps and no traditional x86 apps. You'll notice that your PC doesn't slow down over time and it runs faster because all apps are strictly following developer rules. Windows 10S simply makes this the norm instead of the exception.

Sent from mTalk

Dennis Bakker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
With the new Windows 10 S out, will Microsoft actually beat Chromebooks? I mean, I understand how system apps can keep it more secure and increasing battery life. The limitations of Edge and Bing and the possible block on Chrome and other browsers could prove cumbersome to a lot of users.
Personally I love Edge and don't mind Bing but does Microsoft really need this drastic measure?

Windows 10 already beat Chromebooks. At least everywhere but US. There is no need for Windows 10 S to compete with Chromebooks, but it is a welcome lightweight 'save' OS for the mass...

NoFlames2

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10S is appealing to me for consumption devices. I had a Surface RT and Surface 2 RT and they were good for what they did. They were consistent in their performance, touch first interface and most things were done with browser and apps. You could run office and I used that for PowerPoint presentations.

I think 10S will benefit knowing it is secure, and can be optimized for performance and battery life. With 10Pro, you have to run the indexer and defender more aggressively and that chews up battery and hurts performance. I like the idea that I'm not locked in too. So the device isn't a dead end like RT was.

sanele23

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 S will succeed if people give it a chance. Microsoft should make certain that all their apps in the windows store are quality made, developers should enjoy using their system, have fluently running apps, and of course have lots of fun, familiar/new apps in the windows store that will be appealing to everyone

Scabrat

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Windows S will have apps that Chromebooks dont. Like itunes and minecraft. I think it has a good shot at it but we will see a year or two out what changes have happened.

Another thing to point out is that although chromebooks can run android apps a lot of apps are optimized for it and arent being developed for it. And it can be very buggy as well.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
If MS puts some money and decent marketing behind it then yes it can win.
If they let is drip a long like Mobile then it will fail.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
With the new Windows 10 S out, will Microsoft actually beat Chromebooks? I mean, I understand how system apps can keep it more secure and increasing battery life. The limitations of Edge and Bing and the possible block on Chrome and other browsers could prove cumbersome to a lot of users.
Personally I love Edge and don't mind Bing but does Microsoft really need this drastic measure?

Certainly not with the SL.
The OEM 10 S devices are the ones that will try that.
Where are they WC?

TKAtlanta

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Re: Will Windows 10 S help Microsoft beat Chromebooks? - Nope

Very low chance that this will be discussed as a viable option for the classroom.

MS seems to love this strategy of show up to the dance late dressed like a loser, wondering why all of the girls aren't flocking over to say hi, and then going home alone with just their hand.

It's unfortunate because I'm sure the product will be worthy (looking at you Mobile, Band, Invoke, etc.)

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
After realising that Android apps are actually downloadable on Chromebooks, I changed my opinion slightly.

The population that MS is targeting with Surface Laptop and Windows 10 S grew up with iOS and Android apps that they use on their phones and possibly tablets. They likely use(d) Windows for their desktop PC, but they are still more familiar with Android devices and Android app models, so with Google Play store on Chromebooks they get all the apps they know about from their phones also available on their "laptops". With Windows 10 S, they would be struggling with Windows Store as they are used to have all first-party apps for their needs and that would likely cause issues, just like with Windows Phone/ Windows 10 Mobile. Partially, that's the problem of the lack of pushing mobile harder.

Now what Microsoft's best bet is that they get app developers put the powerful old-style Win32 apps and games to the Store and modernize them (convert them to UWP), but that is going to be really hard for them if they don't push it properly (NOT like mobile). That is the only reason that would make them switch to Windows 10 S, except if they get fascinated by the new UWP design language or low prices of Windows 10 S machines.

Hopefully Microsoft's OEMs are going to push that kind of devices soon enough, because Microsoft is slowly loosing time there with no mobile strategy. It's obvious that Microsoft is trying to make the reverse path Google went with, but that could be a lot harder and maybe even fatal if Android apps become more powerful soon.

I also hope to see something on Mobile from Microsoft soon, because as I already said, without mobile they could self-destruct themselves, which I really hope they don't.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster