Will Windows 10 S help Microsoft beat Chromebooks?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
With the new Windows 10 S out, will Microsoft actually beat Chromebooks? I mean, I understand how system apps can keep it more secure and increasing battery life. The limitations of Edge and Bing and the possible block on Chrome and other browsers could prove cumbersome to a lot of users.
Personally I love Edge and don't mind Bing but does Microsoft really need this drastic measure?

RichardW27

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I think Windows 10 S is an excellent answer to Chrome OS, but it will have to be on devices in a similar price bracket to chromebooks. I've heard there will be some devices in that price range coming in the next few months so that should be good. But I dont think at the moment that Windows 10 S will be so popular, purely because of the lack of apps.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I've got one question - how popular Chrome OS really is? I mean, I'm not from the US and here in Europe people don't even know about it but from all the promo etc. that Microsoft did around Laptop, it seems like a big thing in the US.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've got one question - how popular Chrome OS really is? I mean, I'm not from the US and here in Europe people don't even know about it but from all the promo etc. that Microsoft did around Laptop, it seems like a big thing in the US.
Chromebooks are the most popular computing devices in primary and secondary schools in the USA.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Microsoft probably wants to stop Chromebooks to gain more ground in parts of the world that are not US. Here in Europe you can't see any Chromebooks, I've only seen Windows 2-in-1s, Laptops and some Macs around. I hope they succeed, but the problem is that the store may still be lacking some apps and since we have iTunes coming to the Windows Store, we probably can expect more apps coming in too.

Those drastic measures are exactly what Google has on their Chromebooks - to my understanding the OS is basically a web browser, and you can install actual apps on the Windows 10 S, so MS's measures aren't near as drastic as Google's.

Augustin Arvizo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I am not sure that Surface Laptop can really be compared to a Chromebook in the sense that a lot of people who are shopping for Chromebook are attracted to the affordable prices of the various Chromebooks. Surface Laptop costs a lot more than most Chromebooks. I think many are waiting to see the Windows Store expand and get more apps and this will happen over time. I think the way around this is for Microsoft and their partners to do Windows 10 on Arm and have an easy way for developers to port their apps Android apps to Windows 10 on Arm platform.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I am not sure that Surface Laptop can really be compared to a Chromebook in the sense that a lot of people who are shopping for Chromebook are attracted to the affordable prices of the various Chromebooks. Surface Laptop costs a lot more than most Chromebooks. I think many are waiting to see the Windows Store expand and get more apps and this will happen over time. I think the way around this is for Microsoft and their partners to do Windows 10 on Arm and have an easy way for developers to port their apps Android apps to Windows 10 on Arm platform.

Surface Laptop by itself doesn't target Chromebooks, but Windows 10 S does. At the event in NYC MS stated that the starting price for Windows 10 S devices that are going to be released in future is 189 $.

Ravishankar M

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10S is sure to give chromebooks some serious competition if 10S devices are sold at similar prices as chromebooks. Certain restrictions such as users being able to use only the edge browser could prove to be a stumbling block for widespread acceptance. However, it offers much more in terms of functionality and daily usage than a chrome book.

Evanway

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The real question is, how can the surface S really differenciate from windows rt? Cause even though W10S is focus on education, the principle of a windows store based windows has already been tried. I guess microsoft should invest on marketing and strongly promote the idea of windows 10 s so it could become a hit.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
The real question is, how can the surface S really differenciate from windows rt? Cause even though W10S is focus on education, the principle of a windows store based windows has already been tried. I guess microsoft should invest on marketing and strongly promote the idea of windows 10 s so it could become a hit.

It is different from windows RT because RT could only run apps made for ARM based processors, and with Office coming to store through Centennial (Office is a Win32 app) Windows 10 S is going to run it without any issues, while it wouldn't be possible to run that on Windows RT because of the processor architecture.

I am sure they will be spending lots of money on it.

Christopher_He

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't know much about the situation in the US, but in Europe (at least in Germany) Windows is doing strong because of the Office Suit. Later at work you need to have experience with these tools and therefor schools want the kids to use these. In my opinion this is - for now - the only real selling point for Windows 10 S devices over Chromebooks. They are probably still easier to reset and there is less stuff that students can do to **** up the device. So it's Microsofts job to get schools back to their ecosystem with full ofice as their pitch and really good offers.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a slam dunk if other manufactures begin using Windows 10 S on cheap machines. Imagine only having to pay 100 bucks and your k-12 student has a quick, responsive, Laptop with Office and they can't download any bloatware to brick the machine. I see it as a lifesaver especially for younger children. College students? On the other hand I don't think that's what they want. I don't know if it was the right move to go with a $1000 laptop running Windows 10 S. Just seems like a very interesting decision. I don't know many students that don't want to be able to download the latest lame application on their computer.

BC5

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Windows 10 S would have to eat much less system resources to compete with chromebooks, the main advantage of them is their low power consumption and therefore large battery life in addition to the low cost (a category which the Surface Devices obviously don't belong in)

dmiller1969

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I do think it is wise for Microsoft to make a move into Chromebook territory. The concept of an online-only OS has really taken off in many markets, like education and mobile business. However, Microsoft will have a lot of work on its hands to make a significant mark on the Chromebook market given that Google has been at it for a long time and is working toward implementing Android app access to any ChromeOS devices that meet the hardware requirements. The Windows store is nowhere near as diverse nor adept at meeting the app requirements and desires of users as the Google Play store and Microsoft may find some resistance from software developers not wanting to convert their Win32 apps into Windows store apps for whatever reasons they may believe just. Only time will tell if Windows 10 S is successful in proving earnest competition to ChromeOS but I can say that if I were to buy a Surface Laptop, i would take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro before the end of the promotional period, I have never been a fan of the concept of Internet-dependent OSs.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Apple and Spotify obvious think they will.

IDK, I mean chromebooks aren't used by schools, just by people with low cash, here in NZ. They aren't all that common. It's basically just the cheap stripped down option.

Globally I think the marketshare within notebooks is tiny. More people probably own macbooks? *shrug* Certainly schools are more attracted to ipads than chromebooks where I am.

I think TBH, windows s has a bigger potential market - windows is used in schools and universities across the world, and lots of people globally like cheap, not just chromeOS users. Plus windows s supports pen and touch.

And you know, via timeline cloud clipboard and files on-demand windows pc loves all your devices tm ;)

Notebooks is a growing market, and chromeOS is really just one of the issues windows s addresses.

I think its more a matter of two birds with one stone.

MS wanted to quash chromeOS before it grew AND provide cheaper, simpler more secure windows devices AND address the MacBook AND grow the windows store AND reach young people more.

No doubt it'll be pretty big, in the areas its intended for. MS teams I am sure will be attractive to education.

Last edited:

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick note about Office, Chromebooks can run the full Office Suite from the Office.com website -- though they do need to be online. Of course, Chromebooks that can run Android apps can run the Office apps.

I think Windows 10 S will have a tough time against Chromebooks. First, there is the fact that Windows 10 S will need to be quick booting, feel fast on low end hardware, etc. While Microsoft may accomplish this, we won't know until we see actual devices released by manufacturers.

Second, and what I see as the bigger issue, is the fact that Windows will be competing against itself. Low end laptops are already pushing back at Chromebooks. For Windows 10 S to be a success, people will need to choose a "stripped down" Windows over the current low end Windows laptops -- the question is can Microsoft create a machine that makes them see the advantages of a Windows 10 S machine, particularly while making sure that customers understand it won't run Windows 10 programs.

Of course, schools will be the big difference; probably a lot of the chances of success will depend on how will Microsoft competes with Google for education.

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Surface Laptop with Windows 10 S will not. But I think other cheap laptops running Windows 1 S could. In my uni, I rarely see students who actually use chromebooks. Most are using cheap and affordable Windows laptops

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb