I've been using a Lenovo Flex 3 i7 for several month now and love the flexibility and touch screen. Sure, it lacks Hello and despite discrete 940M graphics paired to a i7 6400U, it's quite good at playing graphics intensive games at High with a good framerate. As good as it is, I've been looking to upgrade to an actual gaming laptop rig, but can't find anything with the specs I desire that comes in a 2-in-1 format.

So, I find myself in a quandry. I want, at the very least, a 1060 rig with 6GB+ VRAM, but I'd also love to have something thin, light, and capable. It seems those two desires are at irreconcilable odds with each other. It's too bad Dell doesn't make an Alienware 13 thin-and-light with a graphics booster port, as that would be the ultimate. I could go with the Razer Pro, but it's just too damned expensive.

On the other hand, the new Surface Laptop is a gorgeous piece of kit and I love the Alcantara keyboard cover, but at those prices I'd be missing out on my daily session of Overwatch and Skyrim, as I think the latter at least would push the Iris-enabled 640HD chipset pretty hard. I don't want to play at the lower limits of the technology.
    05-13-2017 02:37 PM
    [...]As good as it is, I've been looking to upgrade to an actual gaming laptop rig, but can't find anything with the specs I desire that comes in a 2-in-1 format.

So, I find myself in a quandry. I want, at the very least, a 1060 rig with 6GB+ VRAM, but I'd also love to have something thin, light, and capable. It seems those two desires are at irreconcilable odds with each other. It's too bad Dell doesn't make an Alienware 13 thin-and-light with a graphics booster port, as that would be the ultimate. I could go with the Razer Pro, but it's just too damned expensive.
    You got to decide what you want. 1060 isn't a lightweight graphics card for a laptop. This thiings needs space for cooling and a lot of power, so it can't be as light as ultrabooks.

I think you should think about your priorities and than find the device that is right for you:
    Do you often use your laptop on the go?
    How often do you use the tablet mode?
    Do you want to game when you're not at home?

And maybe the best solution is to have 2 devices, your current flex and a seperate gaming laptop/desktop.
    05-13-2017 04:16 PM
    I felt the same way but I've warmed up to the idea of a nice laptop that works well and I don't have any issues with "lapability." I'm a SP3 owner and Love it so much but sometimes you just need a nice laptop to work on.
    05-13-2017 04:18 PM