Will windows 10 S help Mobile?

Elco Smits

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

First post on this platform and would like to start a little discussion with you. Will Windows 10 S help the mobile platform as more universal apps might be developed? Is that a planned strategy by Microsoft and if so, why do they allow the laptops to be upgraded to Pro?

What would you do? Windows 10 S or Pro?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
In a round about way.

The centennial bridge, which is what most developers will use to get their programs into the store is only sort of a "part way" UWP app. There's additional work then to make it into a true UWP that runs across all devices. So Windows S encourages a sort of "phase one"

To encourage that "phase two", I believe MSFT is relying on windows on arm tablets/notebooks and project scorpio. Or that's how I see it playing out.

All going well, these two strategies however should increase true UWP together, and thus yes, help the whole "Onecore" vision across devices.

Rodgers Momanyi

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 S is the first real push to make people use the Windows Store as their primary source of UWP applications. If people actually use this they would be interested on a mobile device...not necessarily a phone but a new category device that has phone calls capability. I know I would want a 6 inch device that runs all Store apps....even centennial designed to run on a mid range screen

PieterDelagr

May 14, 2017
Visit site
I think Microsoft wants 10s to become very popular so developpers make apps for it, when there are anough apps, Microsoft will launch a Surface Phone

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
why can't Windows 10 just be slapped onto a phone? Mondern phones are more powerful than laptops and tablets with Atom CPUs.... is it just because of the GUI?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
In a round about way.

The centennial bridge, which is what most developers will use to get their programs into the store is only sort of a "part way" UWP app. There's additional work then to make it into a true UWP that runs across all devices. So Windows S encourages a sort of "phase one"

To encourage that "phase two", I believe MSFT is relying on windows on arm tablets/notebooks and project scorpio. Or that's how I see it playing out.

All going well, these two strategies however should increase true UWP together, and thus yes, help the whole "Onecore" vision across devices.

Actually ARM based devices that are going to run full Windows 10 won't need any special modifications of the centennial apps because of the emulation.

Perhaps we shall see what is their plan for phase two in the upcoming events.

It is not going to help mobile directly, but it's definitely going to make Windows Store more populated with quality apps, which they desperately need. That should show developers that the Windows Store can be profitable, so perhaps then they will start "converting" their Win32/Centennial apps to full UWP apps.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Microsoft said UWP can be used for any device but in reality, UWP in pc store not all can installed on phone.

There are real UWP app and then their are "centennial bridge" apps which are not real UWPs, but sort of "started" rather than "finished", in the port from win32.

Ontop of that developers can choose which devices their code will run on. We should see more real UWP apps over time, but still not all will run on everything, just most.

It's a work in progress because coders have to do everything differently, port their apis. It's a big change windows 10, to make apps more flexible and secure.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Actually ARM based devices that are going to run full Windows 10 won't need any special modifications of the centennial apps because of the emulation.

Perhaps we shall see what is their plan for phase two in the upcoming events.

It is not going to help mobile directly, but it's definitely going to make Windows Store more populated with quality apps, which they desperately need. That should show developers that the Windows Store can be profitable, so perhaps then they will start "converting" their Win32/Centennial apps to full UWP apps.

IoT core, HoloLens, Windows 10 mobile and console all require UWP apps not win32, and three of those are ARM based. At least some of those will not be running full windows 10 in any kind of quick timeframe due to hardware requirements, OS function, and to a lesser degree the construction of the shell.

Take something like the Kodi centennial bridge app. It runs great on a big screen, and works fine on a larger tablet, but it would start to get a little cramped on a smaller tablet, and wouldn't work on a phone sized device. It's "somewhat" touch optimised, but not fully, doesn't scale well, doesn't run on xbox, or phones, or IoT core or HoloLens or mixed reality.

I think like the software bridges, windows on arm, is like an "os bridge", to help the legacy uses move over to the modern way of doing things. Once most things are UWP, its served its purpose.

But yeah, as you say, if MSFT can get developers into the store, they will probably want to create full UWP apps over time, so they can roll their software to console, mixed reality, IoT, phones, HoloLens, and so they scale well to different screen sizes and inputs for tablets as well.

The genius of the arm move, is that LTE/telephony/GPS enabled tablets and hybrids will also benefit from all those mobility apps - things like snapchat, lyft, banking apps and so on that are missing from the UWP platform.

And THOSE developers won't be coming in via the centennial bridge - they would come in through via islandwood (the porting gateway from iOS) to xamarin 2 - a revised codebase that enables an apparently large amount of code sharing across android, ios and uwp, whilst preserving UI features. For a fair bit of initial work in the port, those coders save work later on, in maintaining three OSes with greater ease.

Resulting in, once windows on arm comes to tablets, fingers crossed, a bunch of mobility focused full UWP apps of the more "smartphone" variety.

Between that (windows on arm/islandwood/xamarin 2) and the centennial bridge/window s, all things going well, the windows store will look considerably healthier by the end of next year in terms of scaling full UWP. Healthy especially because it will be gaining from desktop apps, not merely mobility apps.

I know people complain about the store, how long things take, but the scale of what MS is trying to achieve is bigger than anything its really ever done. The shift to 32 bit and windows 95, or NT/XP is minor by comparison. And they have to move developers and users into the new way of thinking in terms of modernizing the app platform and creating a unified platform.
It's a huge task. Even what MSFT themselves are doing at the OS end is mammoth (trying to get windows 10 to handle, virtual reality and mobile, and wearables and all that adaptively).

Last edited:

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
IoT core, HoloLens, Windows 10 mobile and console all require UWP apps not win32, and three of those are ARM based. At least some of those will not be running full windows 10 in any kind of quick timeframe due to hardware requirements, OS function, and to a lesser degree the construction of the shell.

Additionally UWP provides a framework for apps to be flexible across devices, whereas plain old ported win32, run exactly like they do on the desktop. It would definitely not be in MSFTs interest to have an app store only full of centennial bridge apps, with little or not modification from their win32 form, as it would lock them into a larger screen, mouse based input/output modality.

But yeah, as you say, if MSFT can get developers into the store, they will probably want to create full UWP apps over time, so they can roll their software to console, mixed reality, IoT, phones, HoloLens, and so they scale well to different screen sizes and inputs for tablets as well.

The genius of the arm move, is that LTE/telephony/GPS enabled tablets and hybrids will also benefit from all those mobility apps - things like snapchat, lyft, banking apps and so on that are missing from the UWP platform. And those developers won't be coming in via the centennial bridge - they would come in through via islandwood (the porting gateway from ios) to xamarin 2 - a revised codebase that enables an apparently large amount of code sharing across android, ios and uwp, whilst preserving UI features. Resulting in, once windows on arm comes to tablets, fingers crossed, a bunch of mobility focused full UWP apps.

Between that and the centennial bridge, all things going well, the windows store will look considerably healthier by the end of next year in terms of scaling full UWP.

I was talking about future Windows 10 on Arm devices, which are going to have Win32 emulation, didn't mention mobile, HoloLens or IoT.

Hafeez M

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Well windows phones are dying mainly because of the lack of app support compared to Android and IOS so I think the Windows S is a strategic move by Microsoft to increase the development of windows store apps. If enough manufactures start using Windows S in there laptops(the budget ones) we may see a substantially more number of apps on the windows store.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's also a task (the hybrid OS side) all the other guys will probably have to attempt sometime too (apple and google), and because its such a huge task, this early days stuff actually gives MS a damn good lead, time wise. I'd be surprised if even apple could catch up now, and they have mega bucks, and healthy platform on two different scales.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I was talking about future Windows 10 on Arm devices, which are going to have Win32 emulation, didn't mention mobile, HoloLens or IoT.

Well yeah, the WoA tablets/servers/hybrids/notebooks will be able to run win32s, at native scaling, but intel devices of those sizes can already do that. In that sense its not the software that changes, only the hardware.

The main benefits of ARM there are the chipset features - cheap price, built in telephony etc. Which is what will attract the islandwood iOS angle, as windows s is attracting the centennial bridge angle from windows developers.

They'll probably eventually have non-store apps default switched off. Eventually they'll want people to move from centennial, from win32, and from islandwood, to just coding UWPs (and other platforms via xamarin) and Cortana skills.

Last edited:

T-Jay1

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I really hope Windows 10 S will give the Universal Winows Platform a great boost. If the app gap would become a little closer that way, MS might finally launch a surface phone or at least a new Windows 10 mobile device. However it's a good sign that iTunes and Spotify will be released.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well yeah, the WoA tablets/servers/hybrids/notebooks will be able to run win32s, at native scaling, but intel devices of those sizes can already do that. In that sense its not the software that changes, only the hardware.

The main benefits of ARM there are the chipset features - cheap price, built in telephony etc. Which is what will attract the islandwood iOS angle, as windows s is attracting the centennial bridge angle from windows developers.

They'll probably eventually have non-store apps default switched off. Eventually they'll want people to move from centennial, from win32, and from islandwood, to just coding UWPs (and other platforms via xamarin) and Cortana skills.

Not only cheap price and telephony, the biggest benefit here is that devices can be thinner and lighter and also consume less battery. I agree that it's likely that they will come with Windows 10 S first.

Genex13

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I really hope Windows 10 S will give the Universal Winows Platform a great boost. If the app gap would become a little closer that way, MS might finally launch a surface phone or at least a new Windows 10 mobile device. However it's a good sign that iTunes and Spotify will be released.
If I remember correctly, Spotify will only be released as a PC application (not UWP) and they just recently put their Windowsphone app into maintainance mode. If this is the general strategy for major app developers, there won't be any profit for mobile and the app gap won't change at all. Sadly, this will be my prediction regarding the future of the store.

Eric Edmondson

May 8, 2017
Visit site
A lot of people are mad at them but I think it's a good idea releasing a desirable product which is initially locked down to store apps. We already see that Spotify and iTunes coming to the store which will be a good initial boost for other developers to make rich applications and I think the idea or the hope is that it will get to a point where a student will buy a windows 10S computer and not feel the need to search further than the store for the app they want. It has worked with the iPad and it could work with the Surface Laptop or any Windows 10S device in the future.

And because people are developing apps as UWP apps it would just take a bit of encouragement from Microsoft for the developers to make them work well on Win 10 mobile

benbg55

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Windows 10S will help for mobile cause the converted apps coming to the store are only working in Win32 and mobile is only ARM. If there's a phone working on Win32 architecture it will be good. Maybe future Surface Phone will be like that....
#WaitinForIt

iharkins

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to believe it will help Windows 10 Mobile but I (along with most everyone else) think it's too late now. Microsoft's retrenchment killed it.

I think there's a snobbery throughout the tech industry against Microsoft (due to their past ways) that still haunts them today. For all Balmer's talk they never really got developers on board. All the constant reboots (WP7, WP7.5, WP8, WP8.1, WM10) just showed they didn't have a clear vision for mobile. Ironically, WM10 was just starting to make some sense before they hammered the final nail in the coffin.

If Microsoft are ever thinking of getting back into mobile then they must be playing a very long term game. The danger with that though is iOS and Android will have the market sewn up and dependent on them.

I (still) hope I'm wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786