[Alcantara keyboard: A hit or a miss?]Durable enough to last University Years?

nipun950

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Though it looks really nice and is soft and comfortable, what really concerns me is durability of the fabric. Though according to Microsoft it can be cleaned, but in case of major damage to the cloth, it's not simple and cheap to replace. Surface pro signature keyboard is also made of same material but difference is that in case of damage, you can throw that one away and get a new one.
I'm looking for a new laptop for my use in University. Something light and basic that can run Office programs, Hardware design simulation Softwares and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. So hardware wise, it's really suitable as I'm not planning to game on this.

But what concerns me is, would it last for 2-3 years?
Lack of a type-C is also a let down in "Futureproofing" department from MS.

If not, what are other options in $1000-1500 price window?

P.S.- As this post has major focus in the Alcantara keyboard, although I don't own a cat or a dog, but any idea how it would take the abuse?

AdeptMaven

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty durable but it's not designed to go through the elements. It's designed to withstand the sweat and dirt from your hands and the occasional spill, that's about it. I imagine that's good enough for most people, but if you you're more clumsy than most or you have pets and let them bite, sniff, and lick whereever they want then the surface laptop probably isn't your best bet.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. definitely dont eat in front of this computer, but if you decide to eat chips and type on it then remember: chopsticks are your best friend. ;)

Lothario#CB

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
The keyboard looks exactly like he surface pro keyboards but I haven't been able to try them side by side. Has anybody done a direct comparison? Any differences worth noting?

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used the Alcantara keyboard but personally I'm a little skeptical about how long it will last looking good. I may wait on a long term review of the keyboard.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I would love to actually try one out and get a feel for this. I know it is a completely different product, but race cars with alcantara steering wheels feel epic, they also last really long. So I don't think durability is an issue, but it must feel pretty cool.

DenDeMello

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I really doubt its durability. No matter how its engineered its a nothing but coth at its soul. And University students are messy, I being one and assure that. So its sure that it will show wear. When it was used for type cover, it was a nice choice as if that type cover started showing wear, you could easily replace it. But in case of surface laptop ...

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious if anyone here has used the Pro 4 alcantara type cover? That may be a decent measure of how the Laptop will hold up.

I have one. Honestly, disappointed for the cost

1) the material on top is not really giving you that alcantara feel
2) palm Areas are dirty. Strangely enough I can only see the stains in certain lighting... but it bothers me a lot.

Getting an alcantara cleaner off amazon... maybe that will help.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It's pretty durable but it's not designed to go through the elements. It's designed to withstand the sweat and dirt from your hands and the occasional spill, that's about it. I imagine that's good enough for most people, but if you you're more clumsy than most or you have pets and let them bite, sniff, and lick whereever they want then the surface laptop probably isn't your best bet.

hello. i agree with this statement. if youre taking this to a park or a race track itll get dirty, but if youre just in a library or home or class or somewhere that is (should be) cleaner i cant see this getting stained badly unless you eat and use it or your hands are constantly doing things other than strictly typing/using the mouse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss