Uni student looking to buy a new laptop

Cheetah087

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
So, I'm looking to buy a new laptop as mine died. I am tossing up between a surface pro 4, surface book or now a surface laptop. I am a dance teacher so the tablet feature is useful to play music. But I need good performance and like being able to sit on the couch having a tea while typing essays on my laptop on my lap. Could I still do that with the surface pro 4?
What's your recommendations?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. like you i enjoy using my laptop (currently a macbook pro from 2012) on my lap. therefore, the surface pro 4 is not for you as the kick stand would get annoying resting on the thighs. as for between the surface laptop or the surface book, let the specifications comparison at pc world guide you to your decision: Surface Laptop vs. Surface Book: We compare price, features, specs .

also, will you elaborate on how the tablet feature is useful for playing music? just plug in speakers or connect bluetooth speakers to the laptop to play music in a class.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
hello. like you i enjoy using my laptop (currently a macbook pro from 2012) on my lap. therefore, the surface pro 4 is not for you as the kick stand would get annoying resting on the thighs. as for between the surface laptop or the surface book, let the specifications comparison at pc world guide you to your decision: Surface Laptop vs. Surface Book: We compare price, features, specs .

also, will you elaborate on how the tablet feature is useful for playing music? just plug in speakers or connect bluetooth speakers to the laptop to play music in a class.

She means, when it's detached you can casually pick it up and choose a song via touch. Tablets make great songlist pickers.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you could do that though Surface Pro 4 users say it can sometimes get a bit awkward to use it in your lap even if Microsoft was working really hard to make as they call it "lapability" the best experience possible. If you'd like tablet experience and your studies/activities don't require a GPU (for example editing videos, 4k images, 3d modelling or gaming) then perhaps you should go with the Surface Pro 4 because the prices dropped now.

However I would suggest you to wait for like 10 days because next Microsoft's event is promising new hardware, so perhaps you would find something more suitable for yourself there as Surface Pro 4 is already over a year old. If nothing else, perhaps prices will drop even more after the event.

Cheetah087

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Oh really, they having another event? I'll wait. Thanks

Its easier to bring a tablet around the room with me than running back and forth to turn on music. You gotta keep those little ones moving or the **** hits the fan, especially if they have to wait lol. I just was wondering if the surface book in tablet form is really huge?

Currently studying ICT and Ancient History as my majors. Been doing some programming. Was hoping if I upgrade to a new laptop, ill use my old one for Linux. My old one is really struggling using both windows and Linux on it in class

Last edited by a moderator:

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Its easier to bring a tablet around the room with me than running back and forth to turn on music. You gotta keep those little ones moving or the **** hits the fan, especially if they have to wait lol. I just was wondering if the surface book in tablet form is really huge?

If you mean the tablet portion of the Surface Book, it's not that much bigger than the Pro. However, it doesn't have a kickstand, nor does it have a lot of battery life on its own.

If you don't need to draw/write a lot, I'd say the better buy in general is the Laptop. The Pro will be slightly more portable, but the Laptop is still fairly thin and light.

chain13

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
I think surface pro 4 can fullfill your need. The kickstand might be a but annoying on the lap, but once you get used to it, it's pretty handy devices in lightweight form factor.

John K Tonk

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
I love my surface pro 3 and I'm using it quite a lot on my lap. But I more often use it as a tablet while taking notes with the pen, especially at the university. And using it on my lap could definitely be more comfortable. So I would say go with the surface laptop if you don't need the handwriting stuff, so writing an essay on the couch would be a lot more relaxing. If you want everything the book is your device. The pro was perfect for me as my daily device over the last years. But now as I'm going to write my thesis I'm thinking about getting a laptop or book so writing long texts will be quite more comfortable.

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I feel like productivity is much easier on a traditional design laptop. In my experience, the keyboard cover just doesn't suffice sometimes but idk I know people who see no differrence when working.

DenDeMello

May 20, 2017
Visit site
If you are going to type much, then a conventional laptop will be a good bet for you. So A surface laptop or a surface book are great choices. If you are open to other manufacturers then Dell XPS 13, Razer Blade stealth and HP Spectre x360 are some of the best choices.

SpaciousZebra

May 16, 2017
Visit site
The surface laptop sounds like it might be best for you. It's going to look great with a cozy feel, and as long as you go with an 8 GB RAM version, it should pack enough punch for you.

Cheetah087

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Yeah the only thing I'm worried about is the lapability and then very easy portable use for work. Im more leaning towords the surface book, but no one seems like a fan. Dont really like the close cap tho. Might have a look at Dell and HP. I had a HP laptop and loved it for study but hated it for work it was so big and combursome. Maybe i should get 2 devices?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss