Usefullness of a touch screen on a standard laptop?

Koby Mendoza

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I am a video editor and I didn't think i could use touch to do anything useful in Premiere Pro. But when I got my XPS 15 i was amazed at how naturally i went to touch the screen to make edits. I would be editing away with my mouse or trackpad and then reach up to scroll the timeline,drag a clip around, select things, even manipulate masks and effects. I don't even think about it anymore. I have to work on a mac at my job and i always go to touch the screen. My Apple colleagues are always blown away at how intuitive touch workflow is. Even besides Premiere (which isn't even touch optimized at all) general computer navigation is a pleasure with touch!

Sebastianx

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I got a SP3 which is a joyful to use. Touchscreen is definitely useless if you will use a keyboard and mouse all the time. But i find the pen useful on annotations and the screenshot straight to onenote is a plus.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a 17.3" standard clamshell laptop and I use the touchscreen way more than the trackpad. It is more natural, intuitive and fun than a trackpad. Jigsaw puzzle games and other casual games are well suited for touch screens. I even use picture password.

As an aside, there is a device that converts non touch screens to a touchscreen but it doesn't work as well as a native touchscreen (air.bar).

Someday I'll get a gaming laptop and it will have a touchscreen.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I wonder that myself, actually. For all the Surfaces I owned, never actually had a straight up laptop with a touch screen.

Especially curious as to how you're supposed to use the pen with it lol.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
As an all round laptop, Surface Laptop works great with the inclusion of the touch screen. As an artist it helps to use a mouse for the standard stuff, a touchpad for minute movement or rotation of images and a touchscreen to make use of the initial concept stages of sketching. Sure a clamshell form factor hinders easy sketching, but a touch screen is still a touch screen. As my dad used to say, nothing comes without a bit of struggle. And if your university recommends this laptop, then by no means is it a bad deal.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Well, since some of you like it, I've been giving it a good try all evening but I guess it comes down to personap preference. It just feels too strange reaching past teh trackpad to scroll or click something.

AriePyasik

May 20, 2017
Visit site
as a physic major student its very easy to share solutions or text using the pen rather than having to highlight and crop with a mouse or trackpad, so I think ink and touch support on a laptop is as awesome as it gets :)

Ayush_WP

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the xps13s sucess without touch screen is proof that touch on a laptop, specially a non convertible is not a compulsion or very user friendly.

saintrobyn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I never rarely use the touch screen when using my Surface Pro 4 in Laptop mode. Not because I don't like it but because I have built up the muscle memory over the years while using trackpads that I completely forget that the touch screen is an option.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
My Acer has a more than decent touchscreen. And while I don't use it as often as I'd like to it does come in handy when I need it. A few times my trackpad has given me some trouble so while I figured out and solved the problem the touchscreen came in handy. Some games from the store like angry birds and bejeweled and a few others really do work best with the touchscreen. I rather have a touch screen and not need it and need it and not have it. But that's just me.

hello. nice statement about the games. i play disney emoji blitz on my phone and havent played it on pc because my current laptop doesnt have a touch screen so playing that game which requires speed is a definite no-go. looking forward to playing it on the surface laptop!

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Like some others have mentioned, I rarely use the touchscreen on my Surface Pro when using it as a laptop. But yah know what, sometimes I do. And it's nice to have at those times, not gonna lie. Touchscreens are the norm these days, and it's more natural. It makes total sense for laptops to have them.

Orlando Grillo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree. Once you use a laptop with touch screen you can't live without one. Its much easier to simple stretch you arm and select something oh the screen than using the trackpad.
Also, using a traditional laptop with a pen may sometimes be better. I have a HP x360. I'm a heavy keyboard shortcuts user, specially in Photoshop. So, if I need to use the pen, I see myself constantly switching back to traditional laptop mode because I miss the keyboard.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lenovo Flex laptop (which has a pretty nice tent mode which I would say is very good for touch use) that is a few years old and the only time I have ever used the touchscreen was went I spent a weekend sick in bed at the time I had recently moved and had not yet unpacked or hooked up the smaller bedroom TV, they laptop in this case made a nice device to stick on the nightstand in tent mode and use the touchscreen to stream TV/Movies/Youtube/Vimeo.

renan_ogliari

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I think it's a matter of personal preference. Since I bought a Sony VAIO Flip I got used to using the touchscreen for various actions, especially zoom, rotation and scrolling. However, I never stopped using the trackpad. I use each of these input devices for specific actions. I believe that both complement each other very well.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a laptop and a Surface Pro 3. Not a day goes by when I don't try to touch my laptop's screen, despite its lack of touch input. It's not that I want to touch it, but that it just comes so naturally compared to moving around mouse pointer, at least for simple things like play/pause, scrolling through images or zooming. Even if I'd not use touch on a laptop that often, it'd be less jarring everytime I reach forward and expect something to happen. It's like when I was back with Chrome browser and scrolled, expecting my gaze to be at a certain point after the (laggy) scrolling and it didn't happen. Jarring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6