Is the surface laptop from Microsoft going to give a tough competition to Mac

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I think so. It's priced similarly and at least in my opinion offers more since it has a full touch display and is made of premium materials as well as MacBooks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure. It will be tough to convince people who work in creative professions such as graphic design, photography and music to use the Surface laptop rather than the MacBook Pro, especially if these folks here MacOS software they have been using for some time, or iftar majority of their colleagues also use MacBook Pro.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. i think it will. like kaktus1389 said it is priced similarly, but people in education like students or teachers get education discounts, so the surface laptop becomes $899 pre-tax and the macbook air becomes $949 pre-tax. after these education discounts it then becomes if you go the surface laptop route, you are getting less ram but a better i5 processor for a cheaper price.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I don't think that it will make a huge impact to the sales of Macs. I think that the Mac users are fairly loyal to the brand/OS/Ecosystem. Just because Microsoft introduces a laptop into the veritable ocean of other Windows laptops will really change that.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Considering how well the Surface brand has done so far, and how small of a segment of the market Mac has, it's certainly possible.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Its a bit difficult to convince people to make the switch from a Mac to a pro not only at an hardware level but also at an OS level.

Strike_1

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Those who use Apple in general are loyalists! So attracting the core group will prove difficult! However, there is a large group who are not brand conscious. I think this device can offer a stiff competition to mac in this segment. If RAM is not a problem, the surface is better in terms of processor as well as money.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that it will make a huge impact to the sales of Macs. I think that the Mac users are fairly loyal to the brand/OS/Ecosystem. Just because Microsoft introduces a laptop into the veritable ocean of other Windows laptops will really change that.

hey johnnyredlight its really dependent on the person. as for me, i have a macbook pro but ever since i bought the lumia 920 ive enjoyed windows so my next computer will be a windows computer. when i watch some youtubers they say that they use macs for final cut pro, so if something of that quality (dont know if there is or not, i dont use final cut pro) were available for windows i think more professionals would be switching. that is especially because the mac pro hasnt been updated in a while.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
IDK if it will have a large impact on MacBook sales or not, but I do know that having two brands producing to this standard of manufacture gives more options to consumers, who will, likely consider both rather than just one.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
hey johnnyredlight its really dependent on the person. as for me, i have a macbook pro but ever since i bought the lumia 920 ive enjoyed windows so my next computer will be a windows computer. when i watch some youtubers they say that they use macs for final cut pro, so if something of that quality (dont know if there is or not, i dont use final cut pro) were available for windows i think more professionals would be switching. that is especially because the mac pro hasnt been updated in a while.

Adobe Premiere Pro and in general for creative software, the range of Adobe products. For music, Ableton suite is also on windows. Gone are the days where apple has the edge on creative software. AFAIK OSX doesn't have native stylus support (nor are there osx tablets).

And things like the surface dial, while a little imperfect, are actually really useful for such creative software (like paint tool/colour selection, or video jogging)

Whether Final cut folks want to learn a new piece of software is another issue. But whatever your creative bag is, windows has the software. I think windows actually has the edge nowadays, given its expanded peripheral toolset/OS touch and pen intergration.

Well actually people have probably been migrating to windows even before all that. I remember a day, when it was macs and only macs. Not so these days.

And your right of course, the OG mac crowd were creatives. They didn't choose mac explicitly out of brand loyalty like the teen fashion tech crowd, they choose it, because at the time, it was the best tool for the job. Same as professionals like reporters using macbooks choose them for reliability and weight.

Now those same people are eyeing things like the surface studio, and actually because the surface dial works with everything in the range I believe, a surface dial and the surface laptop paired with premiere pro, might make a sweet combo for on the go video editing.

And if the speakers are as good as MS made out, it might also be good for on the go music composition. Certainly the surface laptop would make a great reporting/blogging workhorse.

There is the matter of software familiarity, but that's an issue more likely to plague the old dogs, not the new ones.

Last edited:

jedpatrickdatu

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Laptop won't beat Macbooks in terms of sales, but it will definitely put up a good fight. The Surface brand has been steadily gaining popularity and respect since Surface 3. Hopefully someday, Surface laptops surpass Mac sales, as Microsoft's products offer more value for the money.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Adobe Premiere Pro and in general for creative software, the range of Adobe products. For music, Ableton suite is also on windows. Gone are the days where apple has the edge on creative software. AFAIK OSX doesn't have native stylus support (nor are there osx tablets).

And things like the surface dial, while a little imperfect, are actually really useful for such creative software (like paint tool/colour selection, or video jogging)

Whether Final cut folks want to learn a new piece of software is another issue. But whatever your creative bag is, windows has the software. I think windows actually has the edge nowadays, given its expanded peripheral toolset/OS touch and pen intergration.

Well actually people have probably been migrating to windows even before all that. I remember a day, when it was macs and only macs. Not so these days.

And your right of course, the OG mac crowd were creatives. They didn't choose mac explicitly out of brand loyalty like the teen fashion tech crowd, they choose it, because at the time, it was the best tool for the job. Same as professionals like reporters using macbooks choose them for reliability and weight.

Now those same people are eyeing things like the surface studio, and actually because the surface dial works with everything in the range I believe, a surface dial and the surface laptop paired with premiere pro, might make a sweet combo for on the go video editing.

And if the speakers are as good as MS made out, it might also be good for on the go music composition. Certainly the surface laptop would make a great reporting/blogging workhorse.

There is the matter of software familiarity, but that's an issue more likely to plague the old dogs, not the new ones.

hey there, i agree with every point you addressed in your post. i especially agree with the blogging part. with battery life that good and instant on when the cover is opened the surface laptop will be great for writing. im rooting for it.

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Thats a tough call because switching os changes your whole eco-system which is people tend to steer away from switching in most cases and stay loyal to windows/mac os. I feel like the surface laptop is great but not ground-breaking enough for mac owners to switch. However, it does give windows users an "apple like" product in terms of the focus on design, without needing to switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss