Upgraded to Pro... Can I go back to S?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Lets say you get your surface laptop and upgrade to pro, but then you want to go back to s for whatever reason... how do you do that?

Is there a 10s ISO somewhere?

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey there, i was just thinking this. assuming the one application i need for work starts being offered in the windows store, i wouldnt need the pro version and could switch to windows 10 s.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Interesting question. There have been a few times that I go back to trying my surface RT for like half a second and then I quickly realize that I don't like it but that's because the hardware is outdated not the OS.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not being flippant, but I am curious... what are some reasons to go back to Windows 10S after upgrading to Pro?

Maybe it's been two years and I am upgrading to the next best thing... Thus, I am passing my surface laptop to my younger sister who is still in high school. I wouldn't want her to risk getting infected and her use would be store apps and the browser.

Windows 10 s would be perfect for her.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I imagine that using the recovery USB would reinstall 10S and not 10 Pro.

I'm actually hoping that Microsoft releases Windows 10 S as a free software that you can download and install on any device.

This will be great and also achieve more performance out of older devices we have at home.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually hoping that Microsoft releases Windows 10 S as a free software that you can download and install on any device.

This will be great and also achieve more performance out of older devices we have at home.

hey there. this would be really nice! i agree with this strategy, but am curious if it will happen when windows 10 s comes out.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am interested in the ability to do the same..

Mainly because I want to grab the Pro license while it's free and then roll back to 10S.. This would give the the 10 Pro license down the road if I later decide full functionality is needed...

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
They didn't say anything about that @ their event, perhaps we will find out more in the future. I wouldn't mind that feature too.

Checked out insider builds ISOs a few days ago and there were no "S" files, maybe those are coming in future or aren't coming at all.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Possibly a factory reset option will send you back to S idk just guessing here

Now I don't know exactly how that would work but when I enrolled on insider and then made a factory reset on the PC system was still on the same insider build. To my knowledge that doesn't degrade the OS itself, it only clears all (or most) of the data you have.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Now I don't know exactly how that would work but when I enrolled on insider and then made a factory reset on the PC system was still on the same insider build. To my knowledge that doesn't degrade the OS itself, it only clears all (or most) of the data you have.

The recovery drive will probably take it back to Windows 10 s though.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I wonder what would happen if you backed up your machine, in its factory state, using a usb boot of macrium reflect, and then rolled the machine back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3