Any sp4 owners thinking about getting the surface laptop?

Would you upgrade or have both? I wouldn't mind getting the laptop, upgrading it to pro and somehow, install 10s on my surface pro 4.

Not sure why but I'm really drawn to this laptop all of a sudden.
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    05-21-2017 08:59 AM
    hello. i dont own a surface pro 4, but what i can say is wait a few days for the expected announcement of the new surface pro before making your decision. itll happen at the event in china.
    ajcletus500 likes this.
    05-21-2017 09:11 AM
    Any sp4 owners thinking about getting the surface laptop?

Would you upgrade or have both? I wouldn't mind getting the laptop, upgrading it to pro and somehow, install 10s on my surface pro 4.

You have totally lost me.

First you think of getting a Surface Laptop running Win 10 S, and upgrade it to Pro.

Then you think of downgrading your current SP4 running Win 10 Pro to Win 10 S.

Why ?

By the way, as of now, there is no downgrade path from Pro to S edition.
    We can NOT buy a Win 10 S software individually like we can buy a Win 10 Home or Win 10 Pro software.
    So far, the only way to get a computer running Win 10 S is to buy a computer pre-installed with Win 10 S.
    Last edited by davidhk129; 05-21-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    05-21-2017 09:12 AM
    I wouldn't mind having both, but I wouldn't call it an upgrade. They're completely different devices. But for a typical user it will be a dream device, just like MacBooks Air used to be.
    ttsoldier likes this.
    05-21-2017 10:42 AM
    I so far am undecided. My SP4 does everything I need it to at this point so I don't know if I'll switch. Right now I doubt it but am still considering it.
    ttsoldier likes this.
    05-21-2017 11:17 AM
    I've got SP3 and would love an update but I bet there will be a way to get Windows 10 S for other devices in the future. Even ones that aren't running Windows or running a lesser version. I'm looking at my Surface RT in the closet and hoping that it'll be able to run an updated version of Windows in the future even if I have to hack it.
    ttsoldier likes this.
    05-21-2017 02:08 PM
    First you think of getting a Surface Laptop running Win 10 S, and upgrade it to Pro.
    Then you think of downgrading your current SP4 running Win 10 Pro to Win 10 S.
    Why ?
    I can totally understand him. If he would install Windows 10 S on the Surface Pro 4 he would achieve better battery life and since it would (I assume) become his secondary device he could afford to lock it down to the Store since Win32 apps aren't exactly touch friendly anyway.

It's not hard at all to fall for that design

And the closest you can get to Windows 10 S to my knowledge is by uninstalling all non-Store apps and then locking the system to the Store apps only in Settings.
    05-21-2017 04:03 PM
    If he would install Windows 10 S on the Surface Pro 4 he would achieve better battery life
    Then, why does he want to buy a Surface Laptop and upgrade it to Pro edition ?

So he wants to buy a Surface Laptop and upgrades it to Pro.
    Then he also wants to use his current SP4 and downgrade it to Win 10 S edition.

And you can totally understand him ?
    05-21-2017 04:17 PM
    Then, why does he want to buy a Surface Laptop and upgrade it to Pro edition ?

So he wants to buy a Surface Laptop and upgrades it to Pro.
    Then he also wants to use his current SP4 and downgrade it to Win 10 S edition.

And you can totally understand him ?
    Yes, because Surface Laptop has larger battery than Surface Pro 4 so it makes sense he would install a less battery-consuming OS on the device with smaller battery.

Would you rather have a 7700K & Nvidia 1080Ti with 400W PSU or i3 7100 with 1050Ti with 400W PSU? It's not exactly the same, but the point is that Windows 10 S consumes less power.
    05-21-2017 04:29 PM
    Yes, because Surface Laptop has larger battery than Surface Pro 4 so it makes sense he would install a less battery-consuming OS on the device with smaller battery.

Would you rather have a 7700K & Nvidia 1080Ti with 400W PSU or i3 7100 with 1050Ti with 400W PSU? It's not exactly the same, but the point is that Windows 10 S consumes less power.
    You really should read both the OP's post one more time.

According to you......
    The OP wants to downgrade SP4 to Windows 10 S because of better battery consumption.

But he also wants to buy a Surface Laptop and upgrades to Pro version. He said that.
    Why ? He does not want better battery consumption anymore ?

So he will spend good money for a Surface Laptop and pays another $49 to upgrade to Pro edition.
    Then he spends more money to buy a Win 10 S software in order to downgrade his current SP4 to Win 10 S.

That is totally understandable.

I am done. Need a drink.
    05-21-2017 04:44 PM
    I could never replace my SP3 with a regular laptop, I own a 2 in 1 for a reason.
    05-21-2017 04:52 PM

According to you......
    The OP wants to downgrade SP4 to Windows 10 S because of better battery consumption.

But he also wants to buy a Surface Laptop and upgrades to Pro version. He said that.

So he will spend good money for a Surface Laptop and pays another $49 to upgrade to Pro edition.
    Then he spends more money to buy a Win 10 S software in order to downgrade his current SP4 to Win 10 S.

I am done. Need a drink.
    First of all, he can't spend any money on Windows 10 S because I don't think you will be able to simply purchase Windows 10 S, but you can get a very similar experience if you uninstall al Win32 apps and lock your system to Store apps from Settings on any PC with Windows 10 Creators Update.

Second of all, if you have a larger battery, you can still get pretty good battery life out of it if you upgrade it to Pro. You wouldn't have to spend 50$ to upgrade to Pro because it's free until the end of 2017. My point is, you have Pro on the device that has larger battery and you run S on device that has smaller battery, so the consumption is optimal. Surface Pro 4 - claimed battery life 9 hours. Surface Laptop - claimed battery life 14 hours. Now switch operating systems and you should get somewhere in between with both. It seems you ignored last 2 lines in my previous post but it's really up to you, I am just trying to explain my understanding of OP's statement.
    05-21-2017 04:54 PM
    I can totally understand him. If he would install Windows 10 S on the Surface Pro 4 he would achieve better battery life and since it would (I assume) become his secondary device he could afford to lock it down to the Store since Win32 apps aren't exactly touch friendly anyway.

This is right.

According to you......

I am done. Need a drink.
    Kaktus is right.

It's all about the use. The surface pro with the Windows S would now be my portable device where I would be using touch and pen input more when I am away from home. I won't have any use for any Win 32 apps based on my use while I'm on the road.

The Surface laptop will now be my main laptop at home which will be plugged into my monitor and used around the home with win 32 apps.

Windows 10 s to Windows 10 pro is free initially. And even if it wasn't , 50$ is a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things.

Personally, I think Microsoft should release Windows 10s as a free version and let people download it and install it on whatever device they choose.
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    05-21-2017 06:51 PM
    I'm kinda on the edge about whether the surface laptop or the surface pro is the best choice for university this fall, id love to hear what people have to say about the two. I'll be coding, writing reports, taking lots of notes and using it as a media consumption computer, fingers crossed for tuesday's announcement
    ajcletus500 likes this.
    05-21-2017 08:12 PM
    I'm kinda on the edge about whether the surface laptop or the surface pro is the best choice for university this fall, id love to hear what people have to say about the two. I'll be coding, writing reports, taking lots of notes and using it as a media consumption computer, fingers crossed for tuesday's announcement
    Ive seen these students who have used the stylus on their pro 4 to take down notes and annotate pdfs real quick, I feel that makes a better case as a student to use the pro device. it goes without saying that you can code and use it for media consumption. the only downside I see is that it has a very short battery life compared to the surface laptop
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    05-22-2017 12:15 PM
    If you can afford to charge it between lectures and inking is high priority then Surface Pro 4 is the way to go, otherwise you should go with Surface Laptop or wait until Fall to see Windows 10 on ARM devices which are probably going to have superior battery life to both of them.
    05-22-2017 04:55 PM
    If you can afford to charge it between lectures and inking is high priority then Surface Pro 4 is the way to go, otherwise you should go with Surface Laptop or wait until Fall to see Windows 10 on ARM devices which are probably going to have superior battery life to both of them.
    hey i agree with this post. the surface laptop isnt even out yet, so hopefully during the china surface event there will be something announced that would be compelling to compare to the surface laptop.
    05-22-2017 09:30 PM
    Surface pro 4 is fast to run uwp apps. Put 10 onto it is a good decision I think. Also it could make the device last even longer.
    05-22-2017 11:32 PM
    Once you get it hacked I will send you my Surface 2 and you can Hack it for me too?
    05-26-2017 02:39 PM
    Once you get it hacked I will send you my Surface 2 and you can Hack it for me too?
    To what and whom are you referring to?
    05-26-2017 08:24 PM
    Surface pro 4 is fast to run uwp apps. Put 10 onto it is a good decision I think. Also it could make the device last even longer.
    hey there chain13. i think it matters how you use windows 10 pro to make that claim about it lasting longer. having windows 10 pro definitely means youre capable of running more applications so you can continue doing tasks for years. on the flip side, because windows 10 pro is less secure than windows 10 s the chance of .exe files slowing down the computer or infecting the os is higher. for someone who just needs basic functions, definintely windows 10 s would make their devices last longer.
    05-26-2017 08:34 PM
    It is indeed an interesting laptop and if I get that, I'll keep both of them because I have memories with SP4
    05-26-2017 08:50 PM
    It is indeed an interesting laptop and if I get that, I'll keep both of them because I have memories with SP4
    hey man. they are both different in how they can be used so its good to keep both. you may be working on something on the laptop at home but decide you want to go to class with the surface pro to take notes on so it is good to have that freedom.
    05-26-2017 08:56 PM
    hey there chain13. i think it matters how you use windows 10 pro to make that claim about it lasting longer. having windows 10 pro definitely means youre capable of running more applications so you can continue doing tasks for years. on the flip side, because windows 10 pro is less secure than windows 10 s the chance of .exe files slowing down the computer or infecting the os is higher. for someone who just needs basic functions, definintely windows 10 s would make their devices last longer.
    I think I missput 'S', I mean 10S
    05-27-2017 07:37 AM
    I think I missput 'S', I mean 10S
    hey. i see, that makes more sense. hopefully windows 10 s helps the windows store grow!
    05-27-2017 07:42 AM