I wish there was more ink/pen apps

Island Barbie

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Besides one note and Microsoft edge and draw board PDF. I want every thing on my surface to be ink able ? Isn't that the point of having ink

Island Barbie

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Still not exactly what I'm looking for. I want ink on every application. Not just one note or Microsoft edge. Like on Google chrome. Pinterest. The home page. Anything, just always ink ready so I can make notes.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I guess that would be up to the developers of all those programs, right. Certainly Microsoft will hopefully add it to all of theirs over time.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey. if the chat apps had the ability to write a message that can be transcribed into text instead of having to type or speak, i think that would be good.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Am not sure. Texting using the qwerty keyboard still seems faster than writing. Plus it would be quite weird to write on a tablet to send messages using apps like whatsapp. :p

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
From an artist's point of view there are quite a few apps that all have surface pen usage - Microsoft's Fresh paint, Autodesk Sketchbook, GIMP etc. Though i agree, having windows ink would be cool for something like Microsoft Word

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I had a Surface 3 a while back and thought the pen would be the bee's knees but i almost never used it. Maybe if there were more apps and/or functionality in existing apps, I would have used it more.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Am not sure. Texting using the qwerty keyboard still seems faster than writing. Plus it would be quite weird to write on a tablet to send messages using apps like whatsapp. :p

hey kashgohel, in my case i get frustrated typing on a screen haha. i like to feel physical keys so i can see myself preferring typing over writing. i think if you were in the zone (like if youre sketching something) and a message notification comes in, since youre already holding the pen it makes sense to continue using it in the messaging app to reply then switch back to drawing.

Last edited:

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I had a Surface 3 a while back and thought the pen would be the bee's knees but i almost never used it. Maybe if there were more apps and/or functionality in existing apps, I would have used it more.

hey johnny, i think id be the same as you if i had bought a surface 3 (or surface pro 4, i was more interested in that refresh). i would be totally okay without a pen and would have preferred the surface to come with the type cover instead. i can see why microsoft bundled the pen with the surface tablets as it was targeted towards artists etc. but if from the beginning there was a bundle that included the type cover instead or just the tablet then i wouldve bought it.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know there is now the ability to ink on the photos app.

Also , you can use the "screen sketch feature" as well which you can set to open by, for example, pressing the top of your pen... It will basically take a screen shot of your current screen and allow you to ink on it, and then save it.

Probably not what you're looking for, but worth a shot.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I know there is now the ability to ink on the photos app.

Also , you can use the "screen sketch feature" as well which you can set to open by, for example, pressing the top of your pen... It will basically take a screen shot of your current screen and allow you to ink on it, and then save it.

Probably not what you're looking for, but worth a shot.

i forgot about inking ability in the photos app. thats a fun way to decorate photos. the apps that make use of pen functionality are great but i can see the demand for more.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Ink support coming to office and OS wide (for general text input). However you won't see it on third party apps beyond that, unless they code it.

Radha Meher

May 27, 2017
Visit site
I feel One note is the best Ink app By Microsoft To be used on Surface. But you can also use the new Sketchpad added by Microsoft on its update. If you are very much interested in painting you can download the free fresh paint app from store.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Ink support coming to office and OS wide (for general text input). However you won't see it on third party apps beyond that, unless they code it.

hey drael, the office apps can all benefit from pen and ink support somehow, with onenote being the best use. hopefully these apps and other apps (like sketchable and staffpad among others) can inspire other companies to bring pen support to their apps. it would be interesting for example to sign checks in a bank app.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I feel One note is the best Ink app By Microsoft To be used on Surface. But you can also use the new Sketchpad added by Microsoft on its update. If you are very much interested in painting you can download the free fresh paint app from store.

i agree with you about onenote on surface. onenote is such a no-brainer app to use with the surface pen. if you think of a physical notepad, you can scribble and write on it and onenote is just that in digital form. quite interesting how onenote and pen just work perfectly in that situation.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site

And it should be a pretty pen supports through the whole Office suite, very exciting feature. Anyone has any idea when it's going to be released?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb