05-31-2017 09:08 AM
56 123
tools
    I don't remember if I read that here or on MS Power User but I know I did read about availability of Windows 10 S on Surface Pro and Surface Book - like that one would be able to choose between Windows 10 S or Pro but that's all I remember, so perhaps we are going to see that happen on the June 15th as well.

As already mentioned in the thread I believe that it's a great idea since the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 also launched on the same day (to my knowledge) and yet the Surface Book was meant more for traditionalist who are going to use the device primarily as a laptop and Surface Pro 4 is quite the opposite. I think it's pretty much the same here, except that the Surface Laptop doesn't have a dGPU model and it is 100% traditional laptop unlike Surface Book.
    hey there. yeah youre right, eventually the other surface products will have windows 10 s options (source https://mspoweruser.com/not-just-sur...-surface-book/ ). that would be interesting to see the surface pro with windows 10 s as that would drop it... $50 to a starting price of $749 (since to upgrade windows 10 s to windows pro starting next year is $50)? even lower with the education discount.
    05-26-2017 07:12 PM
    I don't remember if I read that here or on MS Power User but I know I did read about availability of Windows 10 S on Surface Pro and Surface Book - like that one would be able to choose between Windows 10 S or Pro but that's all I remember, so perhaps we are going to see that happen on the June 15th as well.

As already mentioned in the thread I believe that it's a great idea since the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 also launched on the same day (to my knowledge) and yet the Surface Book was meant more for traditionalist who are going to use the device primarily as a laptop and Surface Pro 4 is quite the opposite. I think it's pretty much the same here, except that the Surface Laptop doesn't have a dGPU model and it is 100% traditional laptop unlike Surface Book.
    hey there. yeah youre right, eventually the other surface products will have windows 10 s options (source https://mspoweruser.com/not-just-sur...-surface-book/ ). that would be interesting to see the surface pro with windows 10 s as that would drop it... $50 to a starting price of $749 (since to upgrade windows 10 s to windows pro starting next year is $50)? even lower with the education discount.
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    05-26-2017 07:12 PM
    Believe it or not there are people out there who do not like the 2 in one form factor and prefer the conventional laptop style.

The surface laptop will appeal to them.
    Me! I have ZERO interest in a 2 in 1.......
    05-26-2017 07:21 PM
    Me! I have ZERO interest in a 2 in 1.......
    hey raqball. i was interested in a 2 in 1 laptop (the lenovo 720 in particular) because of its versatility but after watching a review video today on it and then thinking about how often i would carry the laptop as a tablet (which is barely at all) and using it in tent mode (never) i think id be satisfied with a laptop. im currently typing on a laptop that is not a 2 in 1 and ive used it for years as if it were a desktop. the surface laptop is not a 2 in 1 but thats fine with me since its what im used to.
    05-27-2017 01:04 AM
    I don't think the availability of one device will affect the sales of the other device. Neither will the spread of W10S OS be affected significantly by the fact that both pro and laptop will be available.

The popularity of Windows 10 S OS depends on how many schools and consumers use it. We have to remember that W10S is not exclusive to the surface laptop only. It will be available on many laptops and devices from different manufacturers. The surface laptop is a premium level device which most likely will be used by college going students.

The success of W10S also depends on how many countries actually use it for the school programs. If this remains in USA just like chromeOS then it's not going to be able to spread rapidly and gain prominence
    05-27-2017 02:49 AM
    I don't think the availability of one device will affect the sales of the other device. Neither will the spread of W10S OS be affected significantly by the fact that both pro and laptop will be available.

The popularity of Windows 10 S OS depends on how many schools and consumers use it. We have to remember that W10S is not exclusive to the surface laptop only. It will be available on many laptops and devices from different manufacturers. The surface laptop is a premium level device which most likely will be used by college going students.

The success of W10S also depends on how many countries actually use it for the school programs. If this remains in USA just like chromeOS then it's not going to be able to spread rapidly and gain prominence
    hey chintan, thanks for your input. i hope windows 10 s will be available worldwide. after all, in the education press conference i can recall pictures of students from all over the world using windows 10. hopefully by then, many more popular apps used in education are available as store apps.
    05-27-2017 02:58 AM

Thanks for the information! That would be a great thing ,in my opinion , because it will help the S line to develope and will give to consumers even more choise.

In this post I was wondering about the benefit of this decision for Windows 10 S. I also think that lunching the two devices in the same date is a good way to let the consumers have more power in deciding what to buy.
    05-27-2017 05:19 AM
    Thanks for the information! That would be a great thing ,in my opinion , because it will help the S line to develope and will give to consumers even more choise.

In this post I was wondering about the benefit of this decision for Windows 10 S. I also think that lunching the two devices in the same date is a good way to let the consumers have more power in deciding what to buy.
    i agree with giving power to the consumers. having good solid options is the benefit of the surface line, especially very different but tied together options (windows 10 and touch and pen ability).
    05-27-2017 05:31 AM
    Yes, but give us a new Surface Book already!
    its not bad to launch everything together.
    05-27-2017 06:41 AM
    Yes, but give us a new Surface Book already!
    its not bad to launch everything together.
    haha, the surface book refresh would be nice but it was only updated to the performance base model less than a year ago. https://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...-more-powerful more time has to pass before this surface product gets an update.
    05-27-2017 07:17 PM
    I've had my Surface Pro 4 for over 16 months now and it's been a stalwart companion. At the time I bought mine (i5/4GB/128) I thought the 2-in-1 was the perfect form factor and for the vast majority of use it has been. I was still able to play some Steam games from when I was growing up (StarCraft, AoE II, CivIII, among a few others), light web browsing, email/Office, etc. But I'm just finishing up my first online masters class and I've essentially tripled my tab usage in Edge, have had OneNote, Word, PowerPoint open simultaneously, along with Drawboard PDF for epubs to take notes and work with Office. It's been a resource killer, not to mention the form factor hasn't been the most ideal. I really need to get hands-on with the Surface Laptop, especially with better guts (looking at i5/8GB?), but I can imagine a slightly larger screen, more stability in the lap...I can imagine the tradeoff of taking off my keyboard to do some highlighting like a legal pad and then clipping the keyboard back in won't be as bad as I'm thinking.

v/r
    BMK
    From Surface Pro 4
    ttsoldier likes this.
    05-27-2017 08:18 PM
    Why not? Target audience is different. Moreover, the sooner, the better.
    05-27-2017 10:07 PM
    Why not? Target audience is different. Moreover, the sooner, the better.

agreed on the target audience statement. although one is a laptop and one is being marketed as "the most versatile laptop", they are different devices and therefore the target audience is different. furthermore, both are great devices for students and in the united states the school year starts in august which gives students and parents some time to buy the device and get used to using it before the school year starts.
    05-28-2017 02:13 AM
    Faster is better if microsoft have a good prepared
    05-28-2017 04:34 AM
    I doubt it would eat away at each others markets. I mean there are some who would only get the pro cuz of the form factor and others who were held back by it. The laptop sorta resolves all that.
    ttsoldier and k1s23 like this.
    05-28-2017 04:57 AM
    I doubt it would eat away at each others markets. I mean there are some who would only get the pro cuz of the form factor and others who were held back by it. The laptop sorta resolves all that.
    Exactly
    05-29-2017 12:46 AM
    true that. the plus side to this situation whether the customer buys a surface laptop or surface pro is that the customer stays within the surface brand. thats the big overall picture for microsoft.
    05-29-2017 12:51 AM
    I have to agree with k1s23, launching both devices at the same time has multiple benefits for Microsoft: more​ consumer choice, better brand recognition and loyalty, and the potential to grow the market for Surface and Windows 10 S considerably by presenting a full range of products.

I'd also be interested to see if further adoption of W10S across the Surface range brings lower price entry level models.

I have to wonder how long it will be before they refresh the Surface Studio. I'd love to see that thing with a GTX 1060 in it.
    ttsoldier and JediTWang like this.
    05-29-2017 01:24 PM
    I have to agree with k1s23, launching both devices at the same time has multiple benefits for Microsoft: more​ consumer choice, better brand recognition and loyalty, and the potential to grow the market for Surface and Windows 10 S considerably by presenting a full range of products.

I'd also be interested to see if further adoption of W10S across the Surface range brings lower price entry level models.

I have to wonder how long it will be before they refresh the Surface Studio. I'd love to see that thing with a GTX 1060 in it.
    thanks TheFlyingDutchBros. it really is a full range of products. one is a tablet that is laptop-like, one is a laptop that is tablet-like, one is a desktop that is sketchpad? (the inclined desk thing that disney artists etc. drew on, the word is not coming to me)-like, the often-forgotten surface hub is a tv that is a digital whiteboard, and the other is a laptop that is like... well, a laptop. there is one defined product for one category in 5 total categories, but one product is all that is necessary.

as for when the surface studio will be refreshed: from the time the surface pro 4 was announced to when the surface pro 2017 was released, it was 19 months (october 2015-may 2017). the surface book had a refresh to the surface book with performance base in 13 months (october 2015-november 2016), so id say between the 13-19 months or at least 1 years time, assuming this pattern continues. hopefully that means fall of this fiscal year.
    05-30-2017 05:00 AM
    Both the surface laptop and the new surface pro will be available on June 15. Do you think is a good idea? I mean , windows 10 S need many people that use it to help him grow and became really better and it's currently available only on the surface laptop. Relasing the surface pro along with the laptop will definitely takes many people away from the laptop and the world of windows 10 s. This will cause many trouble to the OS to grow and , as a consequence , it will slow down the growth of the store. Moreover , even if they are both amazing devices , due to their price , people will have to choose only one of them.
    Windows 10S will be gone in a year.... and no one will notice
    05-30-2017 09:36 AM
    Don't care, the only thing I was interested in was a refreshed Surface 3 or Surface 4. One of these windows Windows 10 S would have been perfect but now my aging Surface 3 has no replacement. My Band 2 will not be replaced due to no stock and my 950XL with a cracked screen has no replacement in the UK.
    Unfortunately with literally 0 MS devices left in the ecosystem for me as a consumer I find myself being in the annoying position of having to buy Android hardware, and if Ido that I can't be bothered hobbling myself to stick my MS software, I will just go fully native..
    05-30-2017 09:40 AM
    If you are talking about the United States, most middle/junior high and high schools have computers given to them from the school. Most schools now have coding classes as an elective class in high school. I am not sure what country you live in but this definitely isn't the case in the United States.
    05-30-2017 11:00 AM
    I don't think it will make much difference because most that want one or the other won't change their mind if one isn't available for several months.

Assuming there was an impact, how long would you have to wait to release the other, two months, three-four months? Then you'd miss the back to school market window. It might make more difference if they were released at a different time of year but for once we have a launch that will capitalize on every market opportunity and having them both out there is good for the brand.

Ooh, you have a tough decision between two Surfaces, that's a very good thing.
    05-30-2017 11:20 AM
    The big overall picture is not the Surface Laptop. With it's specs most will end up running Win 10 Pro.
    The Surface Laptop brings Windows 10 S. The OEM partners have already announced their 10 s products with lower specs. Most are under $300 and one is at $189. These are the devices that will be compared to Chromebooks.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    05-30-2017 11:47 AM
    The big overall picture is not the Surface Laptop. With it's specs most will end up running Win 10 Pro.
    The Surface Laptop brings Windows 10 S. The OEM partners have already announced their 10 s products with lower specs. Most are under $300 and one is at $189. These are the devices that will be compared to Chromebooks.
    That's what I hope! Windows 10 S on cheaper devices would be a great choise for many consumers. It will be a response to the chromebooks. But we must keep in mind that the surface laptop is the poster of this OS so it would be a pity if all the people who buy it will upgrade to pro.
    05-30-2017 03:02 PM
56 123