Use Google's UWP app in Surface Laptop

benbg55

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
This app in so longer updated. It was posted during Windows 8 era and it was possible to run Chrome OS in fullscreen mode. But now it's no longer available.
So yeah, you'll be able to use this app but you'll cannot use Google services as on Android or iOS.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's a fair bit out of date unfortunately. And it's essentially just a browser. Better to just hit the webpages in a browser, or use a third party app until google gets its head on straight.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It's a fair bit out of date unfortunately. And it's essentially just a browser. Better to just hit the webpages in a browser, or use a third party app until google gets its head on straight.

hey there. i guess for now this is the closest google chrome users will get to google chrome in the windows store. i dont use the uwp browsers available in the store but ive heard positive things about them.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
hey there. i guess for now this is the closest google chrome users will get to google chrome in the windows store. i dont use the uwp browsers available in the store but ive heard positive things about them.

Well I can't speak for monument browser, but UC browser is well rated on other platforms. I've never used either, I'm an edge man :p

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I can't speak for monument browser, but UC browser is well rated on other platforms. I've never used either, I'm an edge man :p

haha same here, i roll with edge also. i may try them just to support the developers; after all, they worked to bring their product to the "still lacking in quantity" windows store.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
You can use all of Google services via browser until they stop being pri*ks and start developing their stuff for Windows Store. Apple started doing that which will make a lot of iPhone users happy, especially those few that are going to stick with Windows 10 S on the Surface Laptop.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It sucks.

hey there. google really doesnt like microsoft so its too bad they do barebones things on the windows platform. maybe when windows 10 s gets released and people are downloading this uwp app and writing bad reviews that google will do something about it. maybe.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
You can use all of Google services via browser until they stop being pri*ks and start developing their stuff for Windows Store. Apple started doing that which will make a lot of iPhone users happy, especially those few that are going to stick with Windows 10 S on the Surface Laptop.

hey kaktus. yeah google is being a ***** about their services in windows which is really annoying for those people who use those services. i sure didnt expect itunes to be coming to the windows store so who knows, google could be surprising everyone with a google chrome browser in the store.... only time will tell.

ghese

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Why do People even need Chrome?? I get it if it's a matter of being lazy to import booksmarks and all that on a PC that's already using Chrome. But on a fresh installation, why not just use the edge browser? It's got better touch support. Better on battery-life, faster and less cluttered than Chrome, and you've got the plugins you need.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Why do People even need Chrome?? I get it if it's a matter of being lazy to import booksmarks and all that on a PC that's already using Chrome. But on a fresh installation, why not just use the edge browser? It's got better touch support. Better on battery-life, faster and less cluttered than Chrome, and you've got the plugins you need.

hey ghese. i agree with you and edge is sufficient for my needs, but there are lots more plugins available in google chrome. i think thats a big deal for some people. others like to stay in a google environment and download chrome for that.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I can't believe Google just doesn't port their apps to the store. For the half a billion people using Windows you think Google would want a slice of that pie. All of the customer data they could have if they just took some time and made their stuff compatible with more than just their crappy platform. (Great for phones, awful for anything else.) Someday, Apple wised up and google will to once they realize that Windows isn't a failed platform and people still use Windows for enterprise and productivity.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe Google just doesn't port their apps to the store. For the half a billion people using Windows you think Google would want a slice of that pie. All of the customer data they could have if they just took some time and made their stuff compatible with more than just their crappy platform. (Great for phones, awful for anything else.) Someday, Apple wised up and google will to once they realize that Windows isn't a failed platform and people still use Windows for enterprise and productivity.

hey there. currently the half a billion people are using everything except windows 10 s, so google is okay for now with having a win32 app because the windows store is not a mandatory portal for downloading apps. hopefully as windows 10 s becomes more and more prominent (and possibly even more and more dominant than other versions) google will introduce a uwp app to the store as that will be the only way for a select userbase to get google chrome.

ghese

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
hey ghese. i agree with you and edge is sufficient for my needs, but there are lots more plugins available in google chrome. i think thats a big deal for some people. others like to stay in a google environment and download chrome for that.

"Some People" is the keyword here. The majority install the ad remover and that's it. The essential plugins are now available for Edge as well.

You have just as much Access to Google's (aweful) environment on edge as on Chrome.

They complain about battery life on their Laptops, but still use Chrome. Switching from Chrome is the first step anyone should do to increase battery-life.

LawdNikon

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Haven't used UC on desktop but UC mobile is a really good browser actually. before edge I switched between that and IE on my Lumia all the time.

LawdNikon

May 31, 2017
Visit site
As far as Google Services go, I cant stand their ridiculous attitude towards the windows ecosystem when they have all sorts of love for Apple/iOS so I've just switched to using almost all MS services. Bing is a great engine and they can have my search queries if google doesn't want em. Plus Bing's image search is better and more cleanly designed, and MS services literally reach all 3 major platforms. It's so much easier and more freeing when you want to switch devices to use MS. Gmail is about all I still use from Google and I haven't missed it anything else one bit since I left.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
As far as Google Services go, I cant stand their ridiculous attitude towards the windows ecosystem when they have all sorts of love for Apple/iOS so I've just switched to using almost all MS services. Bing is a great engine and they can have my search queries if google doesn't want em. Plus Bing's image search is better and more cleanly designed, and MS services literally reach all 3 major platforms. It's so much easier and more freeing when you want to switch devices to use MS. Gmail is about all I still use from Google and I haven't missed it anything else one bit since I left.

im with you on microsoft's services. the only reason why i have a gmail account open still is because i have no option to make a youtube account unless i use google. other than that, all of my needs are serviced by microsoft. bing has been fantastic to me for search results and microsoft reward points and its cool to use the office suite as desktop apps to be detailed in my work and online/my lumia 950 xl to make small or quick edits. google currently offers that barebones uwp app which is better than nothing, but if the negative reviews start pouring in for that app i sure wont be surprised.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon