kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Now we need to know if you mean Surface 4, Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro or Surface Laptop. We know that all of those products exist, except for Surface 4 and we know that all of those products feature an USB type A port.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Now we need to know if you mean Surface 4, Surface Pro 4, Surface Pro or Surface Laptop. We know that all of those products exist, except for Surface 4 and we know that all of those products feature an USB type A port.

hey kaktus, radha has made a few posts earlier regarding the surface pro line so im guessing this is about the surface pro also.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
So, wait. With the adaptor, you can Connect a eGPUs to surface pro 2017?

hey there. with an adapter you "can" connect a gpu (meaning things can plug in to each other), but since the computer doesnt have thunderbolt 3 there wont be any power being driven from the gpu. thunderbolt 3 is necessary for an external gpu.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Give it another year or two and USB-C will be standard. Then we will have updated Surface lines and everyone will be hap...oh wait there will be something new for everyone to want and not have on their latest surface.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Give it another year or two and USB-C will be standard. Then we will have updated Surface lines and everyone will be hap...oh wait there will be something new for everyone to want and not have on their latest surface.

thats how technology works; upgrade after upgrade. thankfully with usb the transition from 2.0 to 3.0 used the same usb-a plug and port, same with hdmi and its multiple upgrades. im sure usb-c is here to stay for a while and will get incremental upgrades over time, and thats when the surface team will be ready.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site

I'd sure be interested in a Surface 4, with or without USB-C. The Surface 3 I had for a while was the ideal size and functionality but lacked power with that Atom processor...

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd sure be interested in a Surface 4, with or without USB-C. The Surface 3 I had for a while was the ideal size and functionality but lacked power with that Atom processor...

hey johnny, the surface 3 was an interesting device because of its compact size. its a great one handed use device. the surface pro 3 is too, but a compact size=easier to hold. you probably meant a surface 5 (dont think a surface 4 would be released already) but it would be a good alternative to other tablets in the approximately 10 inch screen.

MatBlaszczak

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Wery bad idea, especially that their Lumia 950 had one USB-C. There is no place for mini DisplayPort in 2017, and I think even SurfaceConnect, despite it's comfortably magnet based should be changed to something more common, more popular, and very FUTUREPROOF. I think lack of USB-C is a really big mistake, but whole laptop looks promising :)

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Wery bad idea, especially that their Lumia 950 had one USB-C. There is no place for mini DisplayPort in 2017, and I think even SurfaceConnect, despite it's comfortably magnet based should be changed to something more common, more popular, and very FUTUREPROOF. I think lack of USB-C is a really big mistake, but whole laptop looks promising :)

hey matblaszczak, i have to disagree with the mini displayport statement. displayport is MUCH more common in monitors and projectors so its better to have that available for users. microsoft was thinking less about connectivity for the future and more with whats compatible starting june 15 when the surface laptop is released. usb-c will become more common place eventually, but the key word is eventually. on the plus side, they are making a surface connect to usb-c dongle. yes its a dongle, but like panos said (https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/23/15674254/microsoft-surface-usb-c-dongle?via=indexdotco) “If you love Type-C, it means you love dongles.”

clintroymkt

May 19, 2017
Visit site
If I may, the new surface pro is being widely distributed, meaning as many countries as possible. Now i know USB type C is huge in the US and maybe China , but am I wrong if say its mildly huge in europe. Point is USB type C doesnt seem like its a must EVERYWHERE , and microsoft is obviously trying to succeed in those areas as well , and a lot of the people who would buy surface devices in the US seem to be largely capable of buying the surface laptop and new surface pro without usb type C. I may be wrong but im from Africa nad most people here don't even know usb type C so.... You guys decide

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe the surface connector is a Thunderbolt connector. There just isn't an adapter for it yet. Once there is you the surface connector -USB- C will be available.

MatBlaszczak

May 11, 2017
Visit site
You aren't right. In 1998, when Apple released it's first iMac, it was the first and only computer with brand new USB 1.0. Many people are thinking, that abandoning floppy drive and installing only USB was a mistake, but if you look at it after 20 years, you can definitely see that this decision was crucial to the PC. USB-C will be UNDOUBTELY very popular, because:
a) intel drops licence fees for using Thunderbolt 3 (which utilises USB-C connector)
b) USB-C/TB3 has everything that mDP, USB 3 and SurfaceConnect (without magnets) and it can offer over 100W of power - imagine that! Notebook connected to display with ONE cable, both for power and data! That is called convenience, I think there is too early to make wireless connection w/charging. More of it! USB-C is reversible. Find me, please, a better connector. Don't be deceived, mDP is a history.
c) There is an USB-C/TB3 display, and they are amazing!
- Acer H277HU
- ASUS MB169C+
- HP Envy 4K
- Lenovo ThinkVision X1
- LG 27UD88
- LG 32UD99
- LG UltraFine 4K
- LG UltraFine 5K

MatBlaszczak

May 11, 2017
Visit site
hey matblaszczak, i have to disagree with the mini displayport statement. displayport is MUCH more common in monitors and projectors so its better to have that available for users. microsoft was thinking less about connectivity for the future and more with whats compatible starting june 15 when the surface laptop is released. usb-c will become more common place eventually, but the key word is eventually. on the plus side, they are making a surface connect to usb-c dongle. yes its a dongle, but like panos said (https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/23/15674254/microsoft-surface-usb-c-dongle?via=indexdotco) “If you love Type-C, it means you love dongles.”

You aren't right. There is similar situation like in 1998. Apple released its first iMac without floppy drive and it was the world's first computer with USB 1.0. And what's more important, it has ONLY USB 1.0 for data transfer (and of course modem, ethernet, and VGA). Apple received a lot of hate, but abandoning popular, but old standards was their best decision, and crucial for whole PC market. Look at this situation 20 years later and think, who was right ;)
USB-C (and of course Thinderbolt 3) has everything that USB 3, mini DisplayPort and SurfaceConnect (w/o magnets) has and even a lot more. Over 100W of power. In the same cable as data transfer. Reversible connector. Imagine it. Notebook connected to display with only one cable, both displaying 5K resolution and charging its battery simultanously. This is not a future. Future is all about wireless. But this is today. Old standards like mDP is a history. Don't be deceived.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss