What's the maximum potential of the Surface Laptop?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I know the specs are pretty good but NOT THAT big to call it a 'beast' and what not, but how would it stand in the hands of a user who might some day have to render stuff and at the same time like the occasional gaming (light of course)?

Would it run well in the long run? I'm asking this because my Dell Inspiron 15 (3rd) with an i5, 4GB, 1 GB (graphics) does a pretty decent job; unfortunately I see frame drops here and there (poor thing is aging) and I wanted to know if the Surface Laptop would handle the job much better?

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
With 7 generations of i5 processors and literally dozens of 1Gb graphics cards that's a really hard question to answer.

If you're rendering and playing games there are far better options than an ultrabook. I've got a Surface Pro 3 and its terrible for sustained gaming or heavy CPU work like rendering because it heats up and gets throttled.

To put it vaguely my 6 year old desktop with a 1Gb video card can play League of legends for hours max settings at 1080p while my Surface gets lag spikes running at 720p on low.

Can you be more specific about the hardware in your current laptop?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
With 7 generations of i5 processors and literally dozens of 1Gb graphics cards that's a really hard question to answer.

If you're rendering and playing games there are far better options than an ultrabook. I've got a Surface Pro 3 and its terrible for sustained gaming or heavy CPU work like rendering because it heats up and gets throttled.

To put it vaguely my 6 year old desktop with a 1Gb video card can play League of legends for hours max settings at 1080p while my Surface gets lag spikes running at 720p on low.

Can you be more specific about the hardware in your current laptop?

Intel i5 3337, 4GB Ram and an AMD 7570... Is this specific enough? :'|

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Intel i5 3337, 4GB Ram and an AMD 7570... Is this specific enough? :'|

Yup, much more helpful.

New CPU will be much faster, higher clock speeds and several generations newer. The graphics will also be better, but not as large of an improvement. Notebookcheck.net lists a 3dmark 11 score of 926 for the 7570 and 1501 for the Intel HD 620 found in the Surface.

I wouldn't expect the Surface Laptop to throttle from heat the way my Surface Pro 3 does but I'd wait for reviews to see how it handles heavy workloads just in case. New devices tend to run cooler and have better designed cooling systems than older ones.

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Well on paper I think you would see a nice performance bump but as said, I would wait until the reviews are out for things like thermal throttling and real-world performance under load.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster