Surface connector

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if the Surface connector on the Surface Laptop has ThunderBolt 3 built in and would it be possible to add external graphics card via the Surface Dock? I love the portability of thin ultrabooks, but I would also love to have some graphics power when docked. I'm kind of waiting for such a Surface product...

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey ZvjerOPC. the surface connector doesnt have thunderbolt 3, but there will be a usb-c dongle that attaches to the connector made by microsoft. information on that is available here https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/23/15674254/microsoft-surface-usb-c-dongle?via=indexdotco but the tl;dr version is this dongle allows for both charging and data transfer via usb-c. not sure on the release date or price yet. the surface dock doesnt have usb-c or thunderbolt so it wont give the surface products thunderbolt capabilities, so your best bet is getting this dongle when its released. on the plus side, at least its lighter and more portable than the surface dock.

ZvjerOPC

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
hey ZvjerOPC. the surface connector doesnt have thunderbolt 3, but there will be a usb-c dongle that attaches to the connector made by microsoft. information on that is available here https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/23/15674254/microsoft-surface-usb-c-dongle?via=indexdotco but the tl;dr version is this dongle allows for both charging and data transfer via usb-c. not sure on the release date or price yet. the surface dock doesnt have usb-c or thunderbolt so it wont give the surface products thunderbolt capabilities, so your best bet is getting this dongle when its released. on the plus side, at least its lighter and more portable than the surface dock.
Maybe you misunderstood my wish. I don't care about USB-C as a port, I only wish for Thunderbolt 3 speed. But it seems I will wait a bit more.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you misunderstood my wish. I don't care about USB-C as a port, I only wish for Thunderbolt 3 speed. But it seems I will wait a bit more.

i see what youre saying. the correct answer then is no you cannot use the surface dock to add an external gpu. the only way to get thunderbolt 3 speed is via usb-c which is not available in the surface dock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre