Surface Laptop vs XPS 13? Which would you choose?

Nisarg9694

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to know, if people had a choice, which one would they go for? Give a reason as to why you'd prefer a particular model - looks/price/features and what not.

It's interesting to see how people pick their laptops because not everyone is the same.

It doesn't necessarily have to be better from a neutral PoV but it could be what seems right for you, So shoot!

I'd opt for surface laptop. It's a first Party hardware along with being the first laptop to run Windows 10 S. Battery life is something that's amazing and worth noticing. I like displays of both the laptops and specs are something which would be always one would keep in comparison. But this laptop from Microsoft has design worth every single dime..its definitely pricey, but the top notch hardware innovations, fitting everything inside with not a single screw being visible outside, along with the luxurious alcantara keyboard in different colors with windows hello and Dolby Atmos...its a luxury..nothing visible to divert ur work and it truly is a piece of hardware that Panos describes..how the hardware and software make ur piece of work in focus bringing them in front..
The dell laptop's display is an amazing feat..but I'd still prefer Surface laptop..(I only wish it gets available sooner and a bit affordable or else it would be ok if I get a sponsor to purchase one😄😁)

jnbaene

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Actually I'm facing this decision right now! I Love the design of SL and I think XPS 13 is also a looker, but the fact is that I want this laptop to last since I haven't upgraded for about 8 years and the possibility of upgrading SSD on XPS 13 and not on de SL on the future may be he reaseon I prefer the first one.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
8 years???

it's estimated that 1 year = 15 computer years. so that 3 year old PC is essentially a middle-aged 45 year old PC. an SSD in 8 years might not even be an SSD or have the same interface (will definitely not be SATA in 8 years and might not be NVMe either).

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I know it shouldn't matter, but to me the XPS13 just doesn't do it for me visually. Maybe it's the big Dell logo, maybe it's the bland shade of silver combined with the black inside, but it just looks a bit dull to my eyes. I know the thin bezels have that wow factor, but not enough for me. I attend an educational seminar once a week, and the guy who sits next to me has one. Every time I look at it, I'm glad I never got one. I'm sure it is a great laptop, just not for me.

Like I said, I hate that it matters to me, but at this point, a laptop needs to have more than good internals for me to spend my money on it.

Dan Feinberg

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I have used and bought for my company only IBM and then Lenovo ThinkPad's for many years but 18 months ago I bought a SurfaceBook Pro and I love it. It is fast, extremely versatile, and I love the screen aspect ratio. That is what we will be buying for now.
As far as for real heavy work and when I do real gaming my choice is still a good ol desktop workstation. Nothing like a pair of SSDs in RAID 0 and a pair or GTX 1080Tis in SLI :)

SpaciousZebra

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I think I'd go with the XPS because I don't trust that alcantara keyboard holding up over even 2 years. I'm not investing 1k in something I'm not confident will last me a good 5 or 6.

esmjahan

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Since USB-C supporting Thunderbolt 3.0 is a big factor for me, I would pick Dell XPS 13. If I want to go wild price-wise, Lenovo Carbon X1 is my idea laptop. It has two Thunderbolt ports and 4G LTE option.

ben12354

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to know, if people had a choice, which one would they go for? Give a reason as to why you'd prefer a particular model - looks/price/features and what not.

It's interesting to see how people pick their laptops because not everyone is the same.

It doesn't necessarily have to be better from a neutral PoV but it could be what seems right for you, So shoot!

I would go for the surface laptop if forced between the two. My work gave me the xps 13 and as nice as it is I would love to have pen support for free hand whiteboarding. We communicate by drawing graphs, logic diagrams, and equations constantly on whiteboards. With more and more online Meetings using a digital whiteboard solution it would be awesome if writing on the dell didn't suck so much. I would miss the usb charging though and the ability to connect an external gpu with that.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I would go for the surface laptop if forced between the two. My work gave me the xps 13 and as nice as it is I would love to have pen support for free hand whiteboarding. We communicate by drawing graphs, logic diagrams, and equations constantly on whiteboards. With more and more online Meetings using a digital whiteboard solution it would be awesome if writing on the dell didn't suck so much. I would miss the usb charging though and the ability to connect an external gpu with that.

Buying a wacom won't help you fill the void? I thought the XPS has inking... the 2-in-1 i.e.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
My alcantara keyboard for my Surface Pro 4 has been very resistant to wear and tear. I don't know who create this narrative that alcantara is more prone to staining and wearing.

I seriously doubt many of you own the XPS 12, 13, or 15. You guys do realize that they use carbon fiber for that soft area that rests your wrists and arms? And that carbon fiber is sensitive to oils and grease. Just google it. For all the press that alcantara is getting, I'm surprised that carbon fiber didn't get the same treatment. It's a serious case of grass is greener on the other side apparently.

Theo Rulko1

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
I have a 2015 XPS13 9343. I love it. The QHD+ infinity display is insanely pretty, and the DPI scaling issues that were an enormous problem when I got the laptop in 2015 are gone now. Every single program on my PC are now DPI aware. The only annoying programs are Acrobat Pro DC and Photoshop CC, which I still need to log out and and back in so that they scale if I plug into an external monitor.

Speaking of which, external docking is very important to me and the way that I work. The 2015 XPS13 doesn't have a Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port, so my docking station works over USB 3.1 type A. My mother, however, has the 2016 Skylake XPS13 w/ the thunderbolt. Dell's thunderbolt dock is amazing and reliable. I don't know about the Surface dock...

Ultimately, however, I feel that while the XPS 13 is a brilliant laptop, it is a bit heavy for its class, and the carbon fiber (really soft and smooth !) tends to chip away and break off in places if you drop it. Also, Dell haven't updated the design of the XPS for years now. It needs to get a bit slimmer to stay with the ultrabook competition.

miahshodan

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I have an older XPS 13 and really don't like the 16:9 aspect ratio. That would probably make me go for the surface laptop with it's 3:2 ratio.

LawdNikon

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I know it shouldn't matter, but to me the XPS13 just doesn't do it for me visually. Maybe it's the big Dell logo, maybe it's the bland shade of silver combined with the black inside, but it just looks a bit dull to my eyes. I know the thin bezels have that wow factor, but not enough for me. I attend an educational seminar once a week, and the guy who sits next to me has one. Every time I look at it, I'm glad I never got one. I'm sure it is a great laptop, just not for me.

Like I said, I hate that it matters to me, but at this point, a laptop needs to have more than good internals for me to spend my money on it.

Dude do not feel bad that you want a beautifully designed laptop. Design is all around us and plays an important role for most every consumer. Hell it's one of the main reason's Apple fans are so rabid. Beautiful design stands out. That's one of the reason's I will probably pick the SL over the XPS as well. For a Dell the XPS is one of the best looking in their lineup, but that still doesn't say much because Dell makes some (arguably) ugly stuff. I mean the screen is gorgeous and the body itself is pretty good looking but just not as good as the SL.

Shrave

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
If I were to pick between the two (I'm not planning to buy either of them, though), I'd go with Surface Laptop for a few reasons:
1. Battery life - the battery life claims of the XPS 13 (especially the touchscreen version) are grossly exaggerated. I tried one out and got 5-6 hours at most, after employees at the Microsoft Store told me it'd get 12-15...
2. Lighter, a little more compact, and
3. Looks. Looks shouldn't matter, but let's face it, people love something that looks good.
4. Webcam placement - not entirely a big deal, but that bottom up-the-nose placement on the XPS 13...

With that said, I probably won't get the Surface Laptop, anyway, mainly because of its lack of ports. I can do without USB-C or Thunderbolt, but they left out a MicroSD slot?!

AlvaroNos

May 12, 2017
Visit site
It depends

I would choose the surface laptop as I love the design and inking capabilities. By the other hand the XPS is one of the most all-round PCs available right now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs