Surface Laptop vs XPS 13? Which would you choose?

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to know, if people had a choice, which one would they go for? Give a reason as to why you'd prefer a particular model - looks/price/features and what not.

It's interesting to see how people pick their laptops because not everyone is the same.

It doesn't necessarily have to be better from a neutral PoV but it could be what seems right for you, So shoot!

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I was considering the Surface Laptop but have decided to pass on it for now... While we don't know the exact specs yet the rumor is a 7200U CPU and slow poke SSD's..

At this price I would expect a 7300U (about 10% faster than the 7200U) and faster SSD's...

Personally I have started looking at the Dell XPS 13 as an option. Better specs and pricing is similar or less.. Build quality might be better on the Surface Laptop but the Dell is no slouch either..

Also not sold on the longevity and durability of the Alcantara material..

http://bgr.com/2017/05/05/surface-laptop-keyboard-dirt-alcantara/

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I think the xps is generally the best all rounder laptop with no major weakness and a really nice screen. On the other hand, it doesn't pop as much as a surface device.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I was considering the Surface Laptop but have decided to pass on it for now... While we don't know the exact specs yet the rumor is a 7200U CPU and slow poke SSD's..

At this price I would expect a 7300U (about 10% faster than the 7200U) and faster SSD's...

Personally I have started looking at the Dell XPS 13 as an option. Better specs and pricing is similar or less.. Build quality might be better on the Surface Laptop but the Dell is no slouch either..

Also not sold on the longevity and durability of the Alcantara material..

Microsoft’s Surface Laptop has a filthy secret – BGR

I own a Dell laptop. I can vouch for one thing i.e. the built quality ;)

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The infinity display of Dell computers are droolworthy, but at the end of the day, if I didn't have the XPS15 with 1050 as an option, I would go for the SL, because of nicer overall design, material, battery life (maybe), and facial recognition Windows Hello (I don't care for fingerprint scanners on computers if one is offered). Also, I love Alcantara.

anon(9668900)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
So for the i5/8/256GB configuration set, the Surface Laptop and the XPS 13 seem to be equally prices (XPS is a bit more expensive).

Also, I don't know what great things people want to do having a 7300U over a 7200U. There's hardly any, if not no, difference.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
The infinity display of Dell computers are droolworthy, but at the end of the day, if I didn't have the XPS15 with 1050 as an option, I would go for the SL, because of nicer overall design, material, battery life (maybe), and facial recognition Windows Hello (I don't care for fingerprint scanners on computers if one is offered). Also, I love Alcantara.

Would probably be the reason everyone wants one ;)

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
So for the i5/8/256GB configuration set, the Surface Laptop and the XPS 13 seem to be equally prices (XPS is a bit more expensive).

Also, I don't know what great things people want to do having a 7300U over a 7200U. There's hardly any, if not no, difference.

The XPS has the option of touch and non touch though right? Someone not wanting touch might buy an XPS and not a Surface Laptop. However, is there much difference in the price should you opt for the one without touch?

Shrave

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I think the xps is generally the best all rounder laptop with no major weakness and a really nice screen. On the other hand, it doesn't pop as much as a surface device.

Couple of weaknesses on the XPS 13 -

1. Battery life on anything but the non-touch 1080p model is very short (5-6 hours)
2. The webcam is placed on the bottom

Still a good computer, but I would certainly not call it flawless.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was asking myself the same question but ended up determining that the Razer Blade Stealth was the best value and package for me.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If for the same price I cant get a better spec XPS then why not. but frankly speaking the Surface laptop is a head turner as well.
PS: Specs > looks

vinodhegde

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
Couple of weaknesses on the XPS 13 -

1. Battery life on anything but the non-touch 1080p model is very short (5-6 hours)
2. The webcam is placed on the bottom

Still a good computer, but I would certainly not call it flawless.

I have the XPS 13 with I5/4K model with Touch. On brightness set at around 25% (in office /indoors) easily runs for 8hours+

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv