Are you convinced? Daniel Rubino did a great job!

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
So, Windows Central finally did a review on the Surface Laptop and it looks great. (Wish I could get one...) Daniel Rubino has done an extensive review as usual and I'm pretty much sold on the brilliance of the device. Anyone else felt the same or are you'll underwhelmed?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm underwhelmed...

Had a preorder in day one that I cancelled. Slow poke SSD and the i5 they went with is the 7200U instead of the 7300U..

Build quality looks like it's stellar but the overall package is not even close to being worth $1300 in my opinion..

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
we get it. you don't like the Surface Laptop. So why are you still here? Usually when I'm shopping, I browse and for the products I'm not interested in, I don't look back. But yet you're here still complaining.

The Surface Laptop is reviewing quite well.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm underwhelmed...

Had a preorder in day one that I cancelled. Slow poke SSD and the i5 they went with is the 7200U instead of the 7300U..

Build quality looks like it's stellar but the overall package is not even close to being worth $1300 in my opinion..

You know the pricing policy is in order to not hurt other OEMs?

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
May be a tiny difference but surely you want every piece of premium when you are paying that price

It's only about a 10% difference but I do agree when you are paying premium price, you expect at least semi-premium specs...

The laptop is without a doubt premium build but the internals are not...

Msolok

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
The laptop is without a doubt premium build but the internals are not...

You mean other than the keyboard, trackpad, speakers and screen (including touch and pen digitizers)?

I do agree that the SSD's could be faster, but for 99% of peoples use the ones they have used won't have an impact.
Sure they could have gone from the 7200u to the 7300u and gotten a bit more performance out of the thing, but for most people there won't be an impact.

Microsoft has approached it with the view of this being an Ultrabook, which means keeping it light, portable, cool, and with long battery. They know that people who want performance machines won't be buying one of these, as that's not what it is. Clearly they have made choices around these performance items that kept the cost lower, as well as allowing them to keep the device cooler and with longer battery life. That is exactly what I would want them to have done!

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
I like all reviews from Daniel as he really cares about the details that many reviewers don't even mention. I am still disappointed we haven't seen an announcement for the Surface Laptop winner, it's been 14 days now.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
It looks really well but I'd wait for users' reviews. You know, if there are any production problems like there were with some previous Surface products. Though I REALLY hope this won't be the case.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm underwhelmed...

They probably couldn't have a fanless design with that chipset.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I had a look at this in a store today, in a glamorous little surface island in the tech store.

It's really quite a creature. The easy movement of the hinge, the lightness and the handfeel/weight, the fabric keyboard cover....It's just as beautiful as a functional object as they made it sound. Very similar look to the surface pro 4 too, in its way.

It's kinda hard to believe they can cram a fanless i5 in there, given the weight. And the battery life for the size is also very impressive

Considering how many use laptops - for portability, and input, especially students etc, it really is very nice.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My opinion on the Surface Laptop is exactly the same after the review. It's just not worth it. In fact, it's an absolute waste of money.

I think for die-hard fanboys it doesn't matter what one says, they'll buy it anyway, but for normal consumers they'll get better value for their money in any other Windows laptop of the same price (and even cheaper). Even people coming from Mac - who are used to overpriced, underpowered products - they'd find better offerings elsewhere.

The best thing about the Surface Laptop, to me, is the keyboard. But even there the unnecessary use of Alcantara will present a problem in the long run, specially for people who actually intend to use the laptop for the next 5 or 6 years.

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
After reading/watching the review I am convinced I made the right decision not to drool over it. I mean it's premium, it's beautiful, its a Surface! Drool-worthy laptop...but those aren't the factors I'd consider in buying a laptop. It's how affordable it could be. Lol I'm just being cheap that's all. but then again, I can still dream of having one.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
My opinion on the Surface Laptop is exactly the same after the review. It's just not worth it. In fact, it's an absolute waste of money.

I think for die-hard fanboys it doesn't matter what one says, they'll buy it anyway, but for normal consumers they'll get better value for their money in any other Windows laptop of the same price (and even cheaper). Even people coming from Mac - who are used to overpriced, underpowered products - they'd find better offerings elsewhere.

The best thing about the Surface Laptop, to me, is the keyboard. But even there the unnecessary use of Alcantara will present a problem in the long run, specially for people who actually intend to use the laptop for the next 5 or 6 years.

Yes, I do agree that the pricing could've been better. An extra port with an SD card slot would've made it a better deal imo

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Defo a great review. I do wish I could try the laptop in person and see what the alcantara and apparently, great build quality feel like.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb