Pre-ordered Surface Laptop.. Wait or Ditch?

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
So I have been out of the loop when it comes to electronics for a good 3 years now. My only Surface device was the Surface RT, that I lined up for on day 1! haha and yes I know it was slow and had it's problems but I don't care what people say that thing was awesome, and I still really like it. Now my wife would like to get away from the big bulky desktop machine and simplify a little and I agreed it would be nice to have one device and just use that for everything. What I like about the surface line is (I hope I'm right about this with the laptop as well) that I could keep my monitor and down the line get the dock and still somewhat enjoy that desktop feel.

Having said that, I pre-ordered the cobalt blue Surface Laptop (love the colour and we both saw the laptop in store and really liked it) but since I'm in Canada it won't ship till August 18. I'm having a hard time deciding on cancelling the order or going through with it. I have been looking at a lot of other ultrabooks with similar specs and could possibly get one for almost $3-400 less than the $1600 Surface. To me $1600 is a ton of money to spend on a device and it kind of scares me. I don't mind if it will last me 5+ years though.

So any help would be appreciated. What do you guys think? Worth it for the build quality to last, or should I ditch it and get a competitive ultrabook, save some money, and hope it will also last me that 5+ years.

Some of the other ultrabooks I was looking at:
Asus Zenbook Flip
Lenovo Ideapad 710 Plus
Lenovo Yoga 910

May 15, 2017
Visit site
are you planning on using it for 5+ years regardless of what happens? if so, take into account repairability.

surface laptop did get a low repairability score, but msft also designed it for students so i'm guessing it was designed to last about 4~5 years(?) without any big worry unless you manhandle it.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I try to really take care of my stuff but yeah I will be using it for 5 years at least. I usually don't care about upgrading and will get as much out of it as I can.

I think I might be over thinking it and want the best of both worlds as I would like the ability to swap the hard drive out, but I also want it to be small and compact, but I have to compromise.

gazuga6176

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
for that amount I would consider the xps 15. it's certainly no ultrabook, but you are definitely future-proofing for some time to come.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
or the new Razer blade 14

To tell you the truth I would get the new Razer blade in a second because I like everything about it and the option to add core to it in the future would be amazing but the Canadian dollar is killing me. So the Surface laptop because of my discount came to $1678 taxes in. The razer 14 taxes in would be $3390. :unhappysweat: I just can't justify that, and it makes me sad...

gazuga6176

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
lawd mercy! that does present a problem. so tell me, what is it you plan to do with the notebook? so far on mine, I have run Photoshop, chrome and office simultaneously with no problem, played Ori and the blind forest with respectable frame rates (it was pathetic on my SP3). so far the device is running great. as far as future upgrades, the only downside is the ram. storage has workarounds, and graphics and chipsets are not replaceable on any laptops, outside of freakishly expensive (and large) gaming rigs. I was happy with the performance of my SP3, it got stolen, so I replaced it with this, and comparably, it screams. battery life is night and day too. I used it all day for work yesterday, some more at home last night, downloaded steam and tried some games this morning, and finally put it on the charger with %20 left.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly this is perfect.. you said almost exactly everything I would be using it for. I just want to make sure it's a good device for the money. thanks that helped a lot

gazuga6176

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
people always seem to obsess over the negatives of a device. %99 haven't even used it yet. the one thing I know is that I love a pure experience. that's why Macs have always been so popular. I was a Mac user myself, but have always preferred the versatility of Windows. This device delivers that perfect balance.

shn'g

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that's exactly it!! I was obsessing and trying to find the perfect device, but none of them are perfect. k that's awesome I think I will be very happy with it.. and it said it would be out Aug 18 but I just got an email saying it will ship by June 30th so looks like I will be getting it sooner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs