Quality Control issue with Surface Laptop

ZondaF

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone!
Gotta say i love the surface laptop being a classy clamshell laptop.
But the QC can set a higher standard when it is top of the line product for them.
Upon opening the packaging there is dust inside the plastic covering and some of it was on the laptop itself. I thought they work in a near dust free environment.

Other than that the top half (screen) portion of the clamshell does not align properly with the bottom half. Ending up having a tilted screen.

There is also some light bleed similiar to the surface pro situation.

I hope other will have a better QC product than me.

Thank you,

Zonda

SeanD_Colorado

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but I have seen similar complaints with other brands as well.

My own opinion is that we live in a world made of dirt and water and a little dust is bound for happen from time to time. If it wipes away with no harm, then no foul. Enjoy your fantastic laptop :)

Beauty is everlasting And dust is for a time. - Marianne Moore

ZondaF

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the input! @SeanD_Colorado
Totally understand things happen and Sh*t happens in life but then i'm just crossing my fingers and hope the next one i'm getting wont be tilted :p. This is a great laptop i'd say!

Are you gettng one? :p

SeanD_Colorado

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
Zonda, hi. I purchased a Surface Pro, because I frequently need a tablet and need to be able to work long hours on battery and often in tablet mode, but my wife is looking at the Surface Laptop and absolutely loves the looks of them :)

I have had that dust issue with brand new macs as well. I know what you are saying about the dust free environment, but I think that only applies to the initial machine assembly. I think some of that “dust” is a result of the the packaging process and resultant from that. I know it’s not necessarily what you expect from a new machine, but it wipes off and the machine is bound to collect more over the years. Took delivery of a brand new car a couple months ago and likewise it had some packing material and adhesive that wasn’t properly removed. Was it an annoyance? Yes. Should it have been there? No. But after moving beyond that initial moment of disappointment, it resulted in nothing that affects the long term enjoyment of the vehicle.

The screen issues are a bit difficult to access. I had a slight bit of backlight bleed, that I found annoying, because I am a self professed perfectionist when it comes to purchases like that. But my wife told me that I was absolutely nuts and that it was only vaguely visible at max brightness on a solid background or a dark room. How many hours do you spend working on a solid background in a dark room right?

Her response was “You can exchange if it really bothers you, but I honestly think you have unreasonable expectations and that it’s more that acceptable.” She is right of course, as she is about most things :)

sigemund

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
I've had a Surface Laptop for about 2 weeks now. So far only 1 issue - the space bar makes this weird hollow-click sound about once every 3 times I press it. Doesn't feel different, just sounds different. I don't think I'm going to return or exchange just for that. Other than that issue, it's been flawless and the best laptop I've owned in at least 5 years. I have had several variations of the Surface Pro (2, 3, 2017 for a time) and I strongly prefer this.

StevenMahoneySr

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I returned my Surface Laptop and Surface Arc Mouse because the Bluetooth would stop and would have to reboot. Tried several different BT Mice with same outcome. Called support they said no others have had this issue to return for another. I returned it but waiting to replace.

bigblip00

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I returned my Surface Laptop and Surface Arc Mouse because the Bluetooth would stop and would have to reboot. Tried several different BT Mice with same outcome. Called support they said no others have had this issue to return for another. I returned it but waiting to replace.
I am loving the Surface Laptop, but there is something wrong with the Bluetooth Low Energy GATT driver. I also tried multiple mice, multiple models. Confirmed mice worked on another computer (Surface 3). I have my fingers crossed that this is truly a driver issue that MS will fix soon and not a random hardware problem. I see on the Feedback Hub that many others are reporting similar Bluetooth problems. The Hardware and Devices troubleshooter in Settings reinstalled the driver, but it didn't fix the issue.

The final result:

There is a problem with the driver for Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device. The driver needs to be reinstalled.
Device information
Name:
Bluetooth Low Energy GATT compliant HID device
ID:
BTHLEDEVICE\{00001812-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB}_FAEA9DFD34C0\8&367170E6&0&0012
Error code:

sigemund

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
I had a similar problem and when I disabled "Turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager it solved the issue. But I've heard from others that it didn't for them.

May 15, 2017
Visit site
I've had a Surface Laptop for about 2 weeks now. So far only 1 issue - the space bar makes this weird hollow-click sound about once every 3 times I press it. Doesn't feel different, just sounds different. I don't think I'm going to return or exchange just for that. Other than that issue, it's been flawless and the best laptop I've owned in at least 5 years. I have had several variations of the Surface Pro (2, 3, 2017 for a time) and I strongly prefer this.

after several days of usage and i differ in that i still prefer my surface pro 4. and i don't know why

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Well working in QC in the pharmaceutical industry we filled the vials in a dust free clean room and packaged in a non clean room. I suppose the machine is built in a clean room and packaged outside that clean room. But that's not an excuse and it should be as dust free as possible.

zipped

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
I am loving my Surface Laptop with a few exceptions but mainly due to MS dock not functioning. Should have thrown it in the garbage last year. Hard to say that about a $200 brick.

As to the bluetooth - it is not the Laptop.
Go to device manager, go to USB Serial Bus Controllers, expand the list. Any hub or controller you see listed, right click it, click properties, click power management tab. You need to uncheck the box that says allow the computer to turn off this device.
That will clear up the bluetooth issue. Stupid, the USB port in switching states briefly turns off your transceiver, the little usb piece you plugged in. Creates the issue where you hear the ding like when you plug in or pull out a flash drive from a port. Basically the laptop thinks the device is gone, your mouse freezes for 10-20 seconds till the port reconnects your transceiver, you hear the ding, then away you go again as the mouse starts working.

So, its not a Surface Laptop issue, just a common issue with USB port power management.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3