Touchpad dead zone along left & right edges

rushn

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
Purchased my Surface Laptop a couple of days ago to replace my 1 month old MacBook Pro 13.

I'm finding the touchpad to be unresponsive along the first 5 or 10 mm of the left and right edges when my finger is placed there. The mouse pointer will not move. If I use another area of the touchpad and then move to the edge, the touchpad is responsive along the edges as expected. This issue only occurs if I start my finger within 5 or 10 mm of the edge.

Has anyone else noticed this anomaly? Can someone perhaps test their SL touchpad to confirm? Place your finger right on the edge of the touchpad and move your finger up and down and see if the mouse cursor moves as expected.

Cheers

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This is normal, to prevent accidental touches (especially when typing). All touchpads have this.

Setting the sensitivity to highest setting (always on?) will disable this.

rushn

Sep 16, 2017
Visit site
This is normal, to prevent accidental touches (especially when typing). All touchpads have this.

Setting the sensitivity to highest setting (always on?) will disable this.

Um, no, not all touchpads have this.

My MacBook Pro didn't. My XPS 13 didn't. My Yoga didn't. My Surface Pro 3 didn't. I could go on.

I tried adjusting the sensitivity level prior to my original post with no success.

If this is a 'feature', then it's very annoying. Particularly when using two fingers to scroll.

DOGC_Kyle

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, sorry for the misinformation, every laptop I've ever used has had deadzones on the edges, thought it was standard on all drivers. I know Synaptics and Alps have it, and the Precision Touchpads I've used have had it.

But yes, usually the deadzone on the edges is to prevent you from accidentally clicking/moving the cursor when typing. As far as I know, the "Most sensitive" option disables the deadzones and activation delay entirely, but it could vary between hardware manufacturers.

Try looking in the legacy Control Panel and see if there's any touchpad options there. The Precision Touchpad is made by traditional manufacturers (like Synaptics or Alps) in other laptops, and they usually have their own extra settings, so see if there's something like that.
I don't have a Surface Laptop (only other laptops that support Precision Touchpad), so I don't really know for sure.

And of course make sure you have all the latest driver and Windows updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo