Average Surface Laptop battery life?

m2key

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
I did a quick search and couldn't find any threads or questions about this. I am curious what is the average battery life people get from their Surface Laptops? I know the claimed 14 hours was on video playback but I am lucky to get 5 hours from a charge.

My laptop spends most of its life at work, driving an external monitor and using edge, mail and calendar. Google apps and other office related tasks, nothing to difficult but I just about get 5 hours from a charge.

I should also note this is my second surface laptop after having one exchanged from Microsoft (for this reason) so it appears that this battery life is pretty normal (I can't imagine I've been unlucky twice) but also I find it pretty poor coming from a MacBook Air that would last easily the hour day doing the same things, 8 to 12 hours normally.

What battery life do you all get and is this level of battery normal?

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What's running at start-up?

Heck my iPad mini is supposed to last hours and hours... but doesn't.

As you've mentioned Google apps this means that you'll have additional services, stuff running at start-up, a few scheduled tasks and more. Software written for a mac might play nice while software for Windows might not.

Have you set the power options to 'Best Battery life' and not 'Best performance'? So many variables. Heck 14 hours is under absolute perfect conditions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills