Intel SSD now in 256GB Surface Laptop?

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I recently got an i5 256GB surface laptop, and while I was expecting to see some unimpressive SSD speeds, I was pleasantly surprised to see much better numbers than Daniel's first review when he got 650/234 (https://www.windowscentral.com/surface-laptop). I looked in the device manager and noticed it said Intel and not Toshiba or Samsung. Is it possible they have put better a better ssd in the i5 models?

Even if I'm looking in the wrong place and it is still the Toshiba, it seems like a firmware update may have improved performance.

i5 SSD.JPG

Last edited:

BKarlsen

Mar 8, 2018
Visit site
Just bought a Cobalt Blue i5 256GB version. Expecting slow SSD speed as a compromise, I was surprised to find an Intel SSD with 1000/400MB read/write speeds.

zfarooq

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I can vouch for this also..I was so irritated at the potential speed, that when I tested it, I had similar results as stated above. i5, 256GB, Cobalt blue. Good surprise! How do you know its an Intel SSD though?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I got the same machine about five weeks ago -- i5/256/cobalt. Device Manager tells me I have a Toshiba HDD, and PassMark tells me my R/W values are 626/203. This is a little disappointing, but it's not a satisfaction killer -- I bought this particular LT because the price was right and I was looking for something smallish and light that delivered middling performance. There's a Book 2 available to me when I want to do something on a laptop-like device that requires significant power.

Zfarooq, hardware specs for your system are available when you run Device Manager.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium