Feedback on Alcantara keyboard from Surface Laptop owners wanted

NZNORDI

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi There,

I am looking to buy the Surface Laptop for my wife and from all I can see it is a great Laptop. Alternative is the XPS 13 but that looks standard issue by comparison.

Now the only drawback (performance etc. will be fine for Chrome, Word + Excel) that I can see is that fabric keyboard.

I am typing this is on a like-new 2013 rMBP and I can't see how the fabric will hold up for a year, let alone 4 years. Do any of you have real life feedback after using it for a while? Even in stores, expecially the Platinum one looks a little grubby.

I am not saying one should eat doritos while using it but I think it is fair to assume it might become unhygenic real fast? And if you clean it for 3 years, the coating will certainly come off? Just really risky to spend that money on a Laptop that might become disgusting after a few years? MSFT should at least give a guarantee or something. The iFixit teardown showed it literally cannot be replaced without destroying it. I am really torn and on the one hand, think this is best looking laptop around and on the other hand wonder who would ever do such a thing?

BTW, thinking about the blue one (in part cause it would be harder to see stains)...

Looking forward to your feedback.

TehLion

Dec 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,
I have owned a Graphite Gold Surface Laptop for almost a month now. I generally have sweaty palms, but I'm not one to make my technology dirty. That being said, the Alcantara fabric has held up well. There are no signs of grubbiness/dirtiness so far. It looks the exact same as when I had taken it out of the box. I really have no qualms with it. However, it maybe a different story on the Platinum model. Many users of the Sp4 signature type cover have reported theirs to become significantly dirty.
In my opinion, I don't think you should really worry about it (especially since you're looking at the Cobalt Blue model), unless your wife does not particularly take care of her technology.

NZNORDI

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks a lot for that feedback! I think the blue one is likely to show the least impact but good to hear that yours is holding up well. Although a month is fairly short time frame in the grand scheme of things, I am glad you are enjoying it!

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just got my wife the laptop, and I could see how it would be a concern, but she is pretty careful with things so I don't see it being an issue. I do use my surface in the garage so I would be more hesitant if it was for my use, but I think in general it would be ok for most users. I guess time will tell.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my blue SL since Christmas, so no long term feedback. Crumbs and tiny debris are more likely to cling to the Alcantara surface than other laptops. You could keep a small, soft bristle paint brush handy if you're really anal about it.

It seems more durable that it might appear, and mine looks fine in the very short time I've had it.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've had a blue for a few months, it's holding up fine. As stated above, it does attract dust and crumbs, but you can just brush them away.

On a related note, I really wish they'd offer a non-cloth option. The cloth is nice, but I think an all-metal would look and feel amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers