Buy the surface laptop now or wait for an update?

Alex Johnston

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am in pretty desperate need of a new laptop and the surface laptop has caught my eye. With the current model being powered by Intel 7th generation chips, does anyone think that there will be an update to the surface laptop in the near future (ie the next few weeks or so)?

Thanks,
Alex

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am in pretty desperate need of a new laptop and the surface laptop has caught my eye. With the current model being powered by Intel 7th generation chips, does anyone think that there will be an update to the surface laptop in the near future (ie the next few weeks or so)?

Thanks,
Alex

I wouldn't expect an updated to the Surface Laptop line until 2019.

Mattemt294

Jan 30, 2018
Visit site
Have you looked at the different between the chips? Seems like the 8th Gen is faster in short bursts but during extended work loads they are about the same. You probably won't notice a difference.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my wifes MacBook air for the last year as a personal device, ive got a work laptop but a lot of things I cant do on it. Picked up a Surface Laptop here in Canada $250 off ($300 if you include taxes), I always wanted to get a Pro (had a Pro 2 but sold a year later) but I was never willing to spend over $1000 on a laptop. The surface laptop 8gb 128gb ssd (ya I know, but I wasn't willing to dish out $400 more just for 256gb model, ill use external hdd). Loving this device, Im very rarely using the newest devices (pro 2 was the last) and the sale was something I couldn't pass up. ive used and tested MANY laptops but nothing compares to the Surface line, and the laptop is exactly what i wanted. extremely happy with the purchase, just not gonna eat anything while using it to keep clean. What a beautiful device, keyboard and trackpad (coming from a MBA) is outstanding.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been using my wifes MacBook air for the last year as a personal device, ive got a work laptop but a lot of things I cant do on it. Picked up a Surface Laptop here in Canada $250 off ($300 if you include taxes), I always wanted to get a Pro (had a Pro 2 but sold a year later) but I was never willing to spend over $1000 on a laptop. The surface laptop 8gb 128gb ssd (ya I know, but I wasn't willing to dish out $400 more just for 256gb model, ill use external hdd). Loving this device, Im very rarely using the newest devices (pro 2 was the last) and the sale was something I couldn't pass up. ive used and tested MANY laptops but nothing compares to the Surface line, and the laptop is exactly what i wanted. extremely happy with the purchase, just not gonna eat anything while using it to keep clean. What a beautiful device, keyboard and trackpad (coming from a MBA) is outstanding.

My wife has the surface laptop. We got it on sale from Best Buy in January. She came from the Pro 3 and is very happy with the laptop. It does feel great and does everything she or I ask from it. I too though am super careful to not have anything on my hands when I use it, but it still looks brand new to this day, and it the lighter gray color.

Our experience with Surface devices is why I will probably only buy them from now on, but I won't buy when they first come out as I can't fathom spending that much. My Pro 3 is still going strong (as is hers, but I will be selling it shortly).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My wife has the surface laptop. We got it on sale from Best Buy in January. She came from the Pro 3 and is very happy with the laptop. It does feel great and does everything she or I ask from it. I too though am super careful to not have anything on my hands when I use it, but it still looks brand new to this day, and it the lighter gray color.

Our experience with Surface devices is why I will probably only buy them from now on, but I won't buy when they first come out as I can't fathom spending that much. My Pro 3 is still going strong (as is hers, but I will be selling it shortly).

Ok good to know the device still looks brand new after so much time. Ya this is my second Surface (had a Pro 2), and i helped my niece setup her Pro 3 when she got it a couple years ago, was impressed by that device as well. Yes i went with the Gray (Platinum?) model as that's the only i5 8gb 128ssd model that exists here, also got mine at best buy (ive not seen this device anywhere else where i live). I am loving this device, very impressed overall.

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't there a rumor about a new Surface Laptop being released in August? We are now nearing the end of August and the Labour Day weekend and back-to-school is upon us and still no refresh of the Surface Laptop???

hrking2000

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I too am torn on whether to buy one. In the UK, there have been price drops of the Surface Laptop and Surface Pro recently which makes me think there is a refresh soon?

But I don't know! Historically, it doesn't seem like Microsoft have updated Surface devices annually....

They have plenty of stock of each device online too...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon