What would you call the new Surface 'Phone' Device?

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I finally figured out what its going to be. It's going to be a thin bendable screen that you attach to your wrist. Why do I say this? Well didn't Microsoft say they are going to be releasing "Windows on Arm" :winktongue:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Since it's been rumored since the time of the dinosaurs we'll give it a recognized moniker - PDD-NOS

That translates to Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Heh, at this point unless they can call it the 'Surface Appmountain' they'll be hearing a lot of echoes in response. Whatever the device is, I hope they've got someone writing a LOT of apps somewhere.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Wait, why not get a licence to make it seem trendy? Not so, well, Microsoft? I bet if they were to slip him a bit of wonga, Sir Clive would be in. The 'Sinclair Surface QL'? Throw in a copy of Visual Basic and you'd pull in all the kids!

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
If the patent does turn out to be the rumoured Surface device then its a bit silly to call it a 'Phone'

What name would you give this?

Could this be the Surface Phone? Microsoft awarded patents for a range of foldable mobile devices | Page 2 | Windows Central

Off the top of my head id call it a Surface Bone :D

The folding graphene OLED screen was co-developed by Samsung, and Microsoft, and they no doubt both have plenty of patents on specific designs. Manufacturing cost of graphene is the major obstacle. A single screen ATM costs thousands of dollars to produce. It won't be till we create new ways of making this super material that we will see folding screens.

However, the surface phone will most certainly be a full PC. Therefor calling it a "smartphone" seems demeaning if anything. The word Microsoft themselves have been floating about, like at the windows on arm demo was "Mobile PC". And I believe that is the catergory name that is appropriate for a slab phone.

Regarding future folding graphene screens -
I suspect when this actually comes (5-10 years probably, and initially only for the uber rich), a word like phablet, or tablet book, would be repuposed. Even "book", despite its use in laptops. People shy away from complex words. Hence "laptop", PC, smartphone, tablet. They are all pretty simple words. Initially it will be branded something fancy like, but in the end, it will probably be reduced to words like "book" "scroll" or whatever thing it looks like.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss