Surface phone

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
It might be more accurate to say that they're limping along. If the folks at Microsoft actually used the mobile OS that they created, I bet many of these bugs would have been resolved long ago. They spent *two* whole insider releases grappling with how the Ninja Cat emoji was displayed. I'm sure that somewhere, somebody on Earth cared about that. Meanwhile, in the real world, Edge is still a trainwreck. I just wish that these people would use W10M as their primary phone for a few months so they could orient themselves to the reality of the OS.
There's truth in that...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It might be more accurate to say that they're limping along. If the folks at Microsoft actually used the mobile OS that they created, I bet many of these bugs would have been resolved long ago. They spent *two* whole insider releases grappling with how the Ninja Cat emoji was displayed. I'm sure that somewhere, somebody on Earth cared about that. Meanwhile, in the real world, Edge is still a trainwreck. I just wish that these people would use W10M as their primary phone for a few months so they could orient themselves to the reality of the OS.

How is Edge a trainwreck? What problems are you having?

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Edge on 950xl has been awesome. I've had tabs open forever and didn't interfere with anything for quite some time until the lastest update cleared out all my tabs.

Tabs we're all there on mobile and also in continuum!

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
1.) Yes, it is literally true. I'm not speaking figuratively or exaggerating for effect. Roughly half of the time that I try to take a picture, my phone restarts. If we want to be a smartass and get hyper literal about it, it might be 45.23/54.77 instead of an even 50/50. But you get the point.

2.) Edge is still a horrible mess. Tabs frequently go unresponsive, copying and pasting often does not work, trying to fill out a form with a radio button is frustrating when you accidentally highlight and can't get the selection to disappear in order to click on the button, filling out forms or text fields doesn't work reliably, I sometimes have to click back and forth between the current tab and the tab view just to get the current tab to respond to clicks, .pdfs reload and cause me to lose my place every time I switch away for a nanosecond to use Excel or Wolfram, text from simple frames often spills over into the rest of the page, drop-down boxes don't work well, etc. And that's not even an exhaustive list.

I get it, I get it. It's still a work in progress. But the reason I'm frustrated is because I feel like MS is spending an inordinate amount of time working on trivial stuff when they don't have the fundamentals squared away. The browser is the biggest one. If they're not going to even try to fix it, then at least give us back the option to use IE. IE wasn't perfect either, but it worked very well for me most of the time, and its foibles were fewer and less annoying than Edge's. I understand why it made sense to build a whole new browser for PC, but I don't understand why they restarted from scratch on mobile.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I understand why it made sense to build a whole new browser for PC, but I don't understand why they restarted from scratch on mobile.

Field test. That is my assumption anyway. Can be derived from anything released into the wild that could almost seem beta at the time. It is not beta of course. I find it still odd that simple things are not squashed yet also. But they are not deal breakers or critical I would say. I always thought it would be a cool idea if Microsoft had an open source project OS to add to their list of OS models. Probably just wishful thinking on my part...This way stuff like text being oversized/running out of field boxes could be fixed tweaked by the public, and not have to wait.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I like Edge but it's still not consistent enough yet. I still open the app to a tab, type in a new search in the address box at the bottom, hit enter and it does nothing or the progress bar moves up then shows me the same tab I'm already on again.
And why oh why can we not have an option to always show the Home Button like we can on PC. Some people still like having a home page on the browser these days

mattiasnyc

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
I get it, I get it. It's still a work in progress. But the reason I'm frustrated is because I feel like MS is spending an inordinate amount of time working on trivial stuff when they don't have the fundamentals squared away.

But if what you say is literally true, that your phone decides on its own to restart about half of the time you try to take a photo, then there's something wrong because that's clearly not the norm.

So it's not a matter of Windows Mobile being "still a work in progress", because the issue isn't the OS in general. Somethings just wrong on your phone. I will reiterate that if the type of issue you're reporting was due to the OS pretty much everybody would suffer the same restarts. Since that's not the case it's probably the phone or installation in your specific case.

I would try to troubleshoot it from the 'ground up', if you haven't already that is.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have had pretty great success in Edge, only occasional hiccups and very occasional at that. I don't have the blessing of a 950xl however, only the Icon. But I should be worse off not better.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Edge is still a trainwreck.

Although not anywhere near perfect I have seen improvements, little too long in the making in my opinion. Anyway, the problem now is the demise of some apps with the need to rely on a web portal. When one is greeted with "Currently the Microsoft Edge browser is not supported" or "Unsupported Browser or Operating System Detected!" now what??? Basically the user gets hit with a double whammy :eck:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Although not anywhere near perfect I have seen improvements, little too long in the making in my opinion. Anyway, the problem now is the demise of some apps with the need to rely on a web portal. When one is greeted with "Currently the Microsoft Edge browser is not supported" or "Unsupported Browser or Operating System Detected!" now what??? Basically the user gets hit with a double whammy :eck:

Is this on mobile, desktop, or both? I don't think I've run into that.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Is this on mobile, desktop, or both? I don't think I've run into that.

Mobile only with desktop being fine. Back in the W8.1M days it wasn't an issue because we had the apps then, not now. It's examples like this where apps are a must.

Should have mentioned the sites... WD's "mycloud.com" and D-link's "mydlink.com". Not like their out of the way companies either but obviously they've dropped support for WM.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Mobile only with desktop being fine. Back in the W8.1M days it wasn't an issue because we had the apps then, not now. It's examples like this where apps are a must.

Should have mentioned the sites... WD's "mycloud.com" and D-link's "mydlink.com". Not like their out of the way companies either but obviously they've dropped support for WM.

Got it. That's a shame.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
So it's not a matter of Windows Mobile being "still a work in progress", because the issue isn't the OS in general. Somethings just wrong on your phone. I will reiterate that if the type of issue you're reporting was due to the OS pretty much everybody would suffer the same restarts. Since that's not the case it's probably the phone or installation in your specific case.

Microsoft has acknowledged the problem on the insider release blogs, so it's not just an isolated incident. This has been a problem for me across two different phones, and on a variety of insider and stable release builds. I've done dozens of hard resets, tried starting from scratch with no backup, trying to write to the phone storage instead of SD card, etc. It's worse on some builds and better on others, but the problem has been persistent for months.

As far as Edge is concerned, a previous commenter succinctly summed up my feelings on the matter: they shouldn't have released a new browser until it was at least as good as the old one. They should have just renamed IE to Edge, refreshed the UI, and then quietly swap out the old browser for the new one later when they finish it.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya for me edge was horrible. I stayed away from it for most of 2016. I like supporting Microsoft efforts and try to use it exclusively, but find myself dropping back to chrome for a reason here or there.

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Yes.

And the same bug exists all the way through the pipeline including the stable production release.

Since when do companies ever publicly acknowledge shortcomings on their final release products? People literally have to die and lawsuits have to be filed before that happens. Microsoft wouldn't even publicly admit how terrible the Windows 10 Mobile RTM version was. So obviously they're not going to put out a press release on a camera bug that they probably don't feel like addressing. They're going to quietly wait until the affected devices are phased out of use since those affected are an even smaller subset of the 0.5% of their smartphone market share.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes.

And the same bug exists all the way through the pipeline including the stable production release.

Since when do companies ever publicly acknowledge shortcomings on their final release products? People literally have to die and lawsuits have to be filed before that happens. Microsoft wouldn't even publicly admit how terrible the Windows 10 Mobile RTM version was. So obviously they're not going to put out a press release on a camera bug that they probably don't feel like addressing. They're going to quietly wait until the affected devices are phased out of use since those affected are an even smaller subset of the 0.5% of their smartphone market share.
I owned the XL model and it never crashed from the camera app. Was it a specific RM-xxxx model that this affects, fw, single sim models, or what?

aj173

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
It was a single sim Hong Kong variant, whatever the RM for that would be. It started a few months ago, across all builds, final and insider.

Even with the restarts aside, Camera has been pretty bad in general since W10M launched. This is another one of those instances where I wish they would have stuck with the 8.x version until they ironed everything out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077