07-10-2017 10:16 PM
57 123
tools
    Well... That's just not true at all. Did you miss the C-Shell build that Zac demoed earlier this week? Or Rubino's article today about future hardware? https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...date-pc-makers
    While I understand people want MS to come out with a killer mobile device today, they have to understand they're building much more than that and it takes time. Like Dan said, MS, Google and Apple are all after the same thing, they're just coming at it from different directions. In the future computing will span all devices and be everywhere. If you think about the complexity of that it makes more sense we have to be patient to get there.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    06-07-2017 05:05 PM
    I agree, having a Surface Phone today would not solve the issues that the consumer public sees with Windows. They need to get the Store situation sorted, and I hope Windows 10S can help get better parity for current Android and iOS users. That won't be necessary for corporate focused customers, but if they ever want to try to pull in the consumer space again they will need to make progress on that front.

I did find it interesting that at this year's I/O conference Google showed how they were moving toward more AI focused "apps" through Google Assistant without having to have the actual apps on your phone, the same thing that everyone (by that I mean tech journalists, and Android/iOS fanboys) laughed at Microsoft for with bots and Cortana. Then Apple has a video at WWDC showing an end of days scenario where the apps disappear, and Timmy Cook says how no one wants apps to disappear. Of course Apple doesn't want that, they have the apps, and don't have a good AI.
    06-08-2017 08:28 AM
    It'd be nice if 'all' apps where stored in the cloud, and capable of being access by 'all' OS's, and then let innovation rule supreme!
    Nate W and camaroz1985 like this.
    06-08-2017 08:54 AM
    It'd be nice if 'all' apps where stored in the cloud, and capable of being access by 'all' OS's, and then let innovation rule supreme!
    You're basically describing websites.
    13paul13 likes this.
    06-08-2017 10:40 AM
    @Indistinguishable, that is fine 'if' I could have a local copy for "immediate" access and app related data storage, and access to any, and all apps, I wanted/needed. In my vision, all apps would have standardized front-end credentials that would allow any OS access to download and install any pre-qualitied app. All apps would have to go through a security committee for rigorous scrutiny to gain security authorization before the front-end creds are issued, no app would be permitted for download without creds. This would allow fairness to all (developers, businesses, consumers, manufacturers), establish security across all platforms, and would be standardize for compatibility, just like any other important utility (e.g. electricity, bluetooth, input/output connections, radio frequencies, etc.)
    06-08-2017 12:48 PM
    You're basically describing websites.
    I'm really surprised we don't see more web based SPAs. I'm probably vastly oversimplifying things, but wouldn't that be the easiest way to develop for all platforms? Guessing that might create some complications trying to deal with the different OS's APIs.

Anyone with better knowledge, please feel free to explain to me why I'm stupid.
    06-08-2017 12:54 PM
    I find it really frustrating.

If MS had a mobile strategy and were definitely going to replace the Lumia line up with a new line, sometime in the next 6-12 months then their marketing department would have already begun a stealth campaign at the very least.

The fact that this hasn't happened says one of two things. Either they're completely under-investing in marketing (very unlike MS) which says to me that its going to be another utter failure of a launch or secondly they've got a product and they're sitting on it waiting to see where the market goes with wearables, VR and augmented reality.

I feel utterly abandoned and I'm really upset by the fact that MS won't let customers buy OEM parts for their damage phones.

I spent over $500 repairing my 950 XL and 950 and then within 6 months had my XL die yet again (screen).

The OEM parts cost nothing if they sold at cost+10%....why can't they let us have it.
    07-10-2017 10:16 PM
57 123