Will the mythical folding-screen device have an aspect ratio of 1:1.4142?

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Or is Microsoft dumb as rocks as usual...

"In 1786, the German scientist Georg Christoph Lichtenberg described the advantages of basing a paper size on an aspect ratio of √2 in a letter to Johann Beckmann. The formats that became ISO paper sizes A2, A3, B3, B4, and B5 were developed in France."

"This ratio has the unique property that when cut or folded in half widthwise, the halves also have the same aspect ratio."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216

Last edited:

MSFTMatt

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Ooooh I never stopped to research the ratio of paper, but I had always noticed folding paper width wise did put two smaller pieces of the same proportion. I would expect there to me some resemblance when viewing the promo videos about the next thing in mobile. I think it would be cool to have a 7-8" screen when expanded and 4-5 when folded... I'll have to get out some paper and do some math. Sadly since my calculus and advanced micro and macro economics and statistics courses I never got to continue using my brain in my jobs and the ability to do decent math in my head is lost until I get to practice it again

Jason Angle

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Covefe, first great handle, second, what in the world was going on when you decided to research this in-regards to a Surface Phone?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Or is Microsoft dumb as rocks as usual...

"In 1786, the German scientist Georg Christoph Lichtenberg described the advantages of basing a paper size on an aspect ratio of √2 in a letter to Johann Beckmann. The formats that became ISO paper sizes A2, A3, B3, B4, and B5 were developed in France."

"This ratio has the unique property that when cut or folded in half widthwise, the halves also have the same aspect ratio."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216
I was thinking 3:2 for unfolded (same as Surface line) and 1.5:2 = 3:4 when folded, same as iPad mini.

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Ok so for a 6 inch primary screen, not taking into account the area required for the fold:
wa1.PNG
wa2.PNG
wa3.PNG
If it's a two screen folded device, keeping the same aspect ratio folded/unfolded, will be ratio of 1.4142, diagonal 8.48 inch unfolded, nice convenient "mini" type tablet size.

wa4.PNG
wa5.PNG
wa6.PNG
For a three screen device, keeping the same aspect ratio folded/unfolded, will be ratio of 1.7320, diagonal 10.39 inch which is a pretty convenient tablet size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon